The Student Room Group

Medicine GCSEs

I got 5A*s and 5As for my GCSEs (I'm going to get biology remarked so it may very well become 6A*s). I know I have virtually no chance of getting into Oxford having read about their requirements. Cambridge isn't as GCSE heavy, but I'd still like to know if it's possible to get in. Also do you think this grades are enough for ICL UCL and KCL?
Reply 1
Original post by chelseafc141
I got 5A*s and 5As for my GCSEs (I'm going to get biology remarked so it may very well become 6A*s). I know I have virtually no chance of getting into Oxford having read about their requirements. Cambridge isn't as GCSE heavy, but I'd still like to know if it's possible to get in. Also do you think this grades are enough for ICL UCL and KCL?

Firstly, congratulations on your brilliant results :biggrin:. You should be proud of yourself :smile:

I know that ICL don't look at GCSE's anymore and Cambridge mainly focus on AS UMS marks so getting 90%+ will leave you in a good position. I'm not too sure about UCL but I've heard KCL is GCSE heavy but your grades seem very strong.
Original post by takurino
Firstly, congratulations on your brilliant results :biggrin:. You should be proud of yourself :smile:

I know that ICL don't look at GCSE's anymore and Cambridge mainly focus on AS UMS marks so getting 90%+ will leave you in a good position. I'm not too sure about UCL but I've heard KCL is GCSE heavy but your grades seem very strong.

Thanks for the nice words. I initially thought Cambridge would still be a possibility but I started having doubts after reading some of the threads here
Reply 3
Thanks for the nice words. I initially thought Cambridge would still be a possibility but I started having doubts after reading some of the threads here

You've definitely got a shot at Cambridge :smile:. Just work hard in your first year of A-levels and with the right amount of marks you'll be in a great position for Cambridge.
Reply 4

Congratulations on those grades firstly! They are brilliant and will be of benefit to you in your application.
You are right and unfortunately Oxford like many A*s (average applicant has around 10), but like you said Cambridge does not place as much emphasis on GCSEs. I also know the likes of UCL take a holistic approach to your application so therefore if there are many other aspects of your UCAS such as personal statement, BMAT etc. that really stand out then it's likely to also be beneficial to you.

I do just want to warn you that Cambridge, UCL and ICL all use the BMAT. Personally I would advise people to apply to one, two at the absolute maximum, BMAT universities as it is a really risky test and though they say you can prepare for it, I spent hours doing work and I didn't find any of it helpful. I also know lots of people who excelled at both GCSE and AS Level to score poorly at the BMAT which meant straight rejections. Have a look at some UKCAT universities (KCL that you listed is one) as at least you know your score prior to applying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! You should be alright for Cambridge; on an open day this student said he got 6 A*s and he got in so certainly possible! :tongue: I would avoid Oxford; I got 10A*s and 3As and was told I don't really have a shot so probably not a good bet. KCL are GCSE heavy apparently so unless you smash the UKCAT next year probably not the best idea. I think UCL take a holistic view looking at all aspects so as long as you do well in other aspects eg BMAT you should be fine. With Cambridge, they used to care a lot about UMS (85+ on everything for even a shot) but now as UMS doesn't exist anymore they only look at the grade for AS and your teachers opinions or whatever so don't worry too much on getting 100% just focus on getting all As. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest