The Student Room Group

Can I just ask how do some girls get boyfriends so easily?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Okay thanks this is really helpful. But how do you usually flirt when you like a guy? Like what kind of things do you usually do? I'm talking about in person, as opposed to in text.
Also when you tell them you like them, do you do this via text or in person? And how do you word it exactly? The whole thought of it all just seems very awkward :frown: :frown:

It's kind of just something that comes naturally to me :smile: I'd advise you to pop on over to youtube and hit up that search bar :smile: I honestly don't think there's a right way :smile:
Original post by amylaraman
It's kind of just something that comes naturally to me :smile: I'd advise you to pop on over to youtube and hit up that search bar :smile: I honestly don't think there's a right way :smile:

I've done that already! And these cringey cheesy American videos come up, saying things no one in their right mind would say in real life
I'm really picky with girls. The last girl I was with I didn't even want to shag her at first lol. She was just really flirty and then she said something interesting during a group convo while I was hosting a dungeons n dragons night. Which made me want to talk to her more about it later on. But then she spent the whole night tryna get close to me on the sofa etc. while everyone was still there. Ye then that all just progressed super fast to sex, then friend with benefits, then a relationship and room sharing cus we're poor students who need to save money on rent etc. lol.

So I reckon, just be flirty and try to skip BS. Like don't make the dude jump through hoops or anything. Then they'l start thinking of you like GF material. The majority of guys want a laid back, chill girl who'l have sex with them. Just don't push it if they're not attracted to you. You can just be straight forward and ask if they're attracted to you tbh and if they say no then your time won't be wasted.
(edited 7 years ago)
Okay thanks this is really helpful. But how do you usually flirt when you like a guy? Like what kind of things do you usually do? I'm talking about in person, as opposed to in text.
Also when you tell them you like them, do you do this via text or in person? And how do you word it exactly? The whole thought of it all just seems very awkward :frown: :frown:

I'm a guy so I'll let you know what me and most guys I know will like:

1. Talk to him like you would normally talk to anyone else you're interested in. Find out about him.
2. If you like something about him, compliment him. Like "I really like your eyes" (this makes it plain you are interested in him as more than a friend). Maybe light touching.
3. Ask him to do things with you. Knowing what he likes (step 1) will mean you'll find something you both like doing.
4. Tell him you like him in a straightforward way.
5. ???
6. Profit (or move on if he doesn't like you back)

I think most guys would respond positively to the above. If he likes you, you'll probably only need steps 1 and 2. 3-4 won't be necessary unless he's really shy.

Good luck.
I've done that already! And these cringey cheesy American videos come up, saying things no one in their right mind would say in real life

I guess you could just try to get close to them and then be like "do you like me"
I have no idea, I am the only single one out of my friends. I'm sure you'll find a boyfriend soon though :smile:
Try and be super nice and friendly before you go and ask if the guy is attracted to you. That'l increase your chances of him thinking of you in that way. I almost fall in love with every girl that's super nice / generous / friendly etc. lol.

Btw having weird attitudes towards sex is the biggest turn off. Like a lot of girls will make friends with me and flirt with me but then I have that serious convo with them about relationships etc. And I find out they're waiting for marriage or have some other weird stigmas to do with sex then I just leave it cus ain't nobody got time for that lmao. Not having a GF that I can't have fun with.
Original post by Sisuphos
I'm a guy so I'll let you know what me and most guys I know will like:

1. Talk to him like you would normally talk to anyone else you're interested in. Find out about him.
2. If you like something about him, compliment him. Like "I really like your eyes" (this makes it plain you are interested in him as more than a friend). Maybe light touching.
3. Ask him to do things with you. Knowing what he likes (step 1) will mean you'll find something you both like doing.
4. Tell him you like him in a straightforward way.
5. ???
6. Profit (or move on if he doesn't like you back)

I think most guys would respond positively to the above. If he likes you, you'll probably only need steps 1 and 2. 3-4 won't be necessary unless he's really shy.

Good luck.

You make it sound so simple :s-smilie: but in my friendship group at uni, the girls especially, all see a girl as quite desperate if she's going around being that forward with a guy. And I lack so much confidence with guys, I can't ever picture myself just going up to a guy and saying these things. Your advice is very good though, so thank you
Original post by ChickenMadness
I'm really picky with girls. The last girl I was with I didn't even want to shag her at first lol. She was just really flirty and then she said something interesting during a group convo while I was hosting a dungeons n dragons night. Which made me want to talk to her more about it later on. But then she spent the whole night tryna get close to me on the sofa etc. while everyone was still there. Ye then that all just progressed super fast to sex, then friend with benefits, then a relationship and room sharing cus we're poor students who need to save money on rent etc. lol.

So I reckon, just be flirty and try to skip BS. Like don't make the dude jump through hoops or anything. Then they'l start thinking of you like GF material. The majority of guys want a laid back, chill girl who'l have sex with them. Just don't push it if they're not attracted to you. You can just be straight forward and ask if they're attracted to you tbh and if they say no then your time won't be wasted.

I'm not willing to casually have sex with a guy though or do friends with benefits :/ so where does that leave me? :frown:
I'm not willing to casually have sex with a guy though or do friends with benefits :/ so where does that leave me? :frown:

That leaves you as a normal woman. Just do what you're comfortable with doing and work on your confidence. Stop stressing about if guys like you or not.
You make it sound so simple :s-smilie: but in my friendship group at uni, the girls especially, all see a girl as quite desperate if she's going around being that forward with a guy. And I lack so much confidence with guys, I can't ever picture myself just going up to a guy and saying these things. Your advice is very good though, so thank you

*that* forward? talking and light flirting? lol. How do your friends meet guys then?

Fake confidence. Do you think guys asking girls out are confident? most are not, we fake it like a boss.

People generally aren't going to just spot you from afar, immediately think you're girlfriend material and just come and ask you out, no matter how good a person or how attractive you might be.

I think you can improve your odds by actively going out of your way to interact with lots of different people (so they know you exist, firstly), then by being nice and friendly towards them (so they feel comfortable and know that you're pleasant to be around). You have to make sure people aren't thinking of you as just a stranger or random,, miscellaneous classmate.

After that, you don't necessarily need to be stating outright that you're looking for a boyfriend or anything, but at least show people that you like them rather than trying to hide it. Treat them as you would your very good friends, as though they're people you know well and like, so that if anyone does want to ask you out they're not fearing a humiliating rejection. *

Ye idk can't really comment from personal experience because I've never gone any further than friends with those kinds of girls lol. That's just me though.Still just be friendly and pleasant. Theres still loads of other guys (not me) that don't mind waiting around on a girl.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sisuphos
*that* forward? talking and light flirting? lol. How do your friends meet guys then?

Fake confidence. Do you think guys asking girls out are confident? most are not, we fake it like a boss.

Well one of my friends is habitually proud of rejecting guys that ask her out or 'creep' on her on nights out (aka talk to her or make some attempt to touch her). We know this one girl who asked out a guy and this friend I'm talking about made fun of the girl for doing that sayings the guy she asked out flirts with everyone anyway so it's not like he was going to refuse her.
And one of my other friends is just normal with guys, no flirting, nothing but they still come up and talk to her. She barely talked to this one guy but all of a sudden he was all over her on Facebook messenger and asked her out. He was really good looking as well.
I have another friend who within the second week of freshers caught this guys eye and he tried everything in his power to win her over and date her and eventually they started dating :/
So basically my friends are a mixture of not caring about having a boyfriend or the type to just get a guy like that with no effort
I went to an all girls school and 6th form yet despite that some girls there still found boyfriends and met guys fairly easily whereas I did not know a single guy in all 7 years.
Then I go to uni which is known to be a male dominated uni where you'd think my chances would be sky high at getting a boyfriend but no, a big fat ZERO! I have guy friends but that's it, no ones asked me out, never kissed a guy sober. I have kissed a few guys drunk but they haven't messaged me the next day or when they see me around they don't really converse that much with me.
What am I doing wrong?! I'm in a sports society at uni and it's mixed sex where a few people have found met other guys through it and dated, whereas for me there had been ZERO interest.
Whereas some girls can literally get any guy they want or are barley single for more than a few months. Some of these girls aren't even good looking and I know that looks are definitely not everything, but they must have some attractive personality but what?

I really wanna know what I can do to improve myself, can you guys please please offer some, any advice!

Hi,

First, just be yourself. Don't try to change yourself for anyone. As long as you are pleasant, friendly with an overall endearing personality, boys will notice and want to be with you.

Two, don't fall for the BS about you having to sleep with guys to get their attention. Keep yourself from such rubbish. If you meet a guy and you feel that you have reached the point in your relationship to have sex with him, then proceed. If not and you want to wait for a better time, then abstain.

There will be people telling you to have sex to get with a guy because that was how they got their partners. This is sad because they used sex to lure a man, which does not say anything good about themselves. Also, some guys will actively encourage girls to sleep around, so that, at least, they can get some. So shun such advice.

My advice is that you look around familiar places such as your society, department, halls of residence or even local community. Attend social events and make yourself known in social circles (not in a bad or slotty way).

Finally, if things don't go well, don't be sad or downtrodden. Just continue being yourself and working on improving yourself. Not many people meet the "love of their lives" at university. You still have time.

All the best.
Reply 95
What do you look like ?
Original post by FredWest
What do you look like ?

Do you want me to describe my looks 😶
Original post by Wired_1800
Hi,

First, just be yourself. Don't try to change yourself for anyone. As long as you are pleasant, friendly with an overall endearing personality, boys will notice and want to be with you.

Two, don't fall for the BS about you having to sleep with guys to get their attention. Keep yourself from such rubbish. If you meet a guy and you feel that you have reached the point in your relationship to have sex with him, then proceed. If not and you want to wait for a better time, then abstain.

There will be people telling you to have sex to get with a guy because that was how they got their partners. This is sad because they used sex to lure a man, which does not say anything good about themselves. Also, some guys will actively encourage girls to sleep around, so that, at least, they can get some. So shun such advice.

My advice is that you look around familiar places such as your society, department, halls of residence or even local community. Attend social events and make yourself known in social circles (not in a bad or slotty way).

Finally, if things don't go well, don't be sad or downtrodden. Just continue being yourself and working on improving yourself. Not many people meet the "love of their lives" at university. You still have time.

All the best.

Thanks this has made me feel better, at one point I got even more freaked out because I was being told by guys that this would entice a guy and that guys would move on and not waste their time on me if I didn't give them sex straight away :/
you shouldnt go around kissing guys when your drunk cos they will get the wrong impression of u
I think some people easily fall into relationships, some people take a considerable amount of time deciding whether someone is the right person for you.

I have many friends who after one date have found ''the one''.

Getting to the dating would be good enough for me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending