The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

but women do say that they matter

i've yet to meet one that doesn't. all my friends put looks at the top of their list

some of them have even openly told a guy to their face that they won't date them because they don't find them good looking, which i find harsh but yeah...
Original post by Anonymous
Guys are open about this. And if they say they don't, they're usually honest. Like I know guys who would **** everything that moves as long as she has a fuctioning vagina. Clearly, they don't think looks matter.

But I don't know any girl that is like that. Instead, most girls claim that "looks don't really matter" but it's pretty clear to everyone that they really, really do. If not then why do clearly physically attractive guys get a shitload of attention?

Some girls seriously do not give a **** about a guys looks - kay?Looks don't last very long, and beautiful people aren't always good but good people are always beautiful.
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
Yes looks matter but personality is importanter

lmao. Is importanter a word.
They matter to an extent for everyone. No point being with someone you're not even remotely attracted to.
Original post by CorpusLuteum
lmao. Is importanter a word.

Nope but you know what I mean lol
Trust me i know from experience girls value personality over looks (majority), you can be a 10/10 guy but if you're quiet/shy, you've got no chance, a 5/10 guy with a great personality will have a better chance at getting a hot girl than 10/10 that struggles to speak to the girl. I've seen **** ugly guys get girls way out of their league, it's because they are funny and loud.
This stupid question gets asked here all the time but let me clear it up for you x
1)Not all girls are the same so it would be important for some and it won't be for others.
2) Guys having sex with anything with a vagina doesn't mean that looks don't matter to them.
3)Looks are usually important for both sexes in any romantic relationship
4) I know you tried to portray females as being the shallow sex but it failed so try harder 0/10.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by loveleest
This stupid question gets asked here all the time but let me clear it up for you x
1)Not all girls are the same so it would be important for some and it won't be for others.
2) Guys having sex with anything with a vagina doesn't mean that looks don't matter to them.
3)Looks are usually important for both sexes in any romantic relationship
4) I know you tried to portray females as being the shallow sex but it failed so try harder 0/10.

Not really. My first sentence was that men are open about it (i.e. that looks matter above all - i.e. that we're "shallow"). I don't consider "shallow" to be a bad thing btw.

I do accuse females of lying in public to appear less shallow because of female peer pressure. Yes. And I gave reasons why I think that.

Very uncharitable reading, love.
Guys are open about this. And if they say they don't, they're usually honest. Like I know guys who would **** everything that moves as long as she has a fuctioning vagina. Clearly, they don't think looks matter.

But I don't know any girl that is like that. Instead, most girls claim that "looks don't really matter" but it's pretty clear to everyone that they really, really do. If not then why do clearly physically attractive guys get a shitload of attention?

Because

We live in an harsh and unfair world

Some people are ugly and its really unfortunate for them. Thus came this genius idea to pretend it doesnt matter despite all evidence to the contrary

Now people think its bad to like people for their looks and you have to pretend its because of their personality or character
Reply 29

I mean I love my bf but if I didn't know him and I saw him walking down the street I wouldn't be like WOW he's hot.

If looks matter that much then how do ugly guys get girlfriends?

I think your point about physically attractive guys getting attention comes down to other things - they might be more confident and outgoing, flirt more and so on. If they're attractive in the 'well groomed' sense they might simply enjoy attention. I'm not taking a dig at people like this but just sticking up for girls - we don't only pay attention to stereo-typically 'hot' guys.
Original post by abc:)
I mean I love my bf but if I didn't know him and I saw him walking down the street I wouldn't be like WOW he's hot.

I think your point about physically attractive guys getting attention comes down to other things - they might be more confident and outgoing, flirt more and so on. If they're attractive in the 'well groomed' sense they might simply enjoy attention. I'm not taking a dig at people like this but just sticking up for girls - we don't only pay attention to stereo-typically 'hot' guys.

Because there's no accounting for taste.... plus look at the girls they're with....

I also find it incredibly weird how a marginally unattractive guy are often forced to settle for incredibly hideous women, while the same can't be said for marginally unattractive girls.
Reply 31
unfortunately looks do matter far more then the fairer sex tend to admit to.

It took me years to see the truth.

tbh though, maybe i should be happy now that most men think if they can spend a couple of hours watching PUA vids ..or write an opening message to a girl more than 2 lines long on pof they will be able to get good looking girls because of their "personality" ........because if these guys REALLY knew the truth, a great many of them would start hitting the gym and paying more attention to grooming/clothes ...etc ....and at the end of the day that just increases competition.

whilst I am angry at women for hiding the truth ....it's probably best that a large amount males do think all you need to have is confidence/personality ...or they would try and acquire aesthetics

Hey I understand that completely. I fall in love with any girl that is nice to me. I fall in love with salesgirls even though it's clear they pretend to like me because I'm their customer (pathetic but it has happened).

That doesn't mean however that most guys are like this. So what you or me do is irrelevant in this. It's a general observation.

I get the point about being flirty, confident and outgoing. Maybe true, IDK but I doubt it. Fat guys who're flirty, confident and outgoing are seen as creeps and disgusting. You've to look good for that to work.
Probably because they don't want to offend anyone x :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by DanB1991
Because there's no accounting for taste.... plus look at the girls they're with....

I also find it incredibly weird how a marginally unattractive guy are often forced to settle for incredibly hideous women, while the same can't be said for marginally unattractive girls.

Well when I say I don't find my bf 'typically' hot, I have been with much hotter people before him, but have chosen to stick with him, so it's not a case of 'look at the girl he's with', it's a case of his personality being good enough for me to have wanted to stick around.

I disagree with your second point also - guys always aim high, too high a lot of the time, hence why they make 'why does nobody fancy me' threads like this one - because you're aiming for super models when you look like shrek that's why
Reply 35

I disagree with your second point also - guys always aim high, too high a lot of the time, hence why they make 'why does nobody fancy me' threads like this one - because you're aiming for super models when you look like shrek that's why

yeah but shrek landed a stunner didn't he :wink:
Well when I say I don't find my bf 'typically' hot, I have been with much hotter people before him, but have chosen to stick with him, so it's not a case of 'look at the girl he's with', it's a case of his personality being good enough for me to have wanted to stick around.

Smh, this is not what this thread is about.... I don't have a complaint about girls not liking me. It's about the disconnect between what girls say on the internet and what they actually do. They even give bad advice because of this.

Y'know, it's good to actually read posts before attacking the OP.

Yes but you're bf meets your minimum requirements in terms of looks? Once people are over a certain threshold, yes personality becomes more primary, but that's presuming their looks meet the required standard in the first place.

Mehhh I don't agree with that, I find it far more common for guys to be with girls less attractive with themselves, apart from rich people but that's an entirely different issue all together.
girls say **** they don't mean...oh, no, in honesty HUMANS do, we males do it too. why? to look cook, to look acceptable, verbalising honest thoughts, I don't know the psychology behind it.

Or to look politically correct. Sorry, if a person believes looks never matter, they don't get basic human physiology, or evolution, or how work as human beings, or is compensating for something.

and also dating gurus like PUAs (if they still exist) or random dopey *****es on youtube like jenna marbles who say this ****. it's just an enlightened sentiment, not reality.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Because

We live in an harsh and unfair world

Some people are ugly and its really unfortunate for them. Thus came this genius idea to pretend it doesnt matter despite all evidence to the contrary

Now people think its bad to like people for their looks and you have to pretend its because of their personality or character

This is in a nutshell.