Just finished UKCAT, which unis?

Hey everyone, averaged 640 on UKCAT today :frown:
VR: 650
Q: 680
AR: 590with Band 2 in SJT

GCSEs- 10 a*s
AS- A in Econ, B in Maths
A Level Predictions: hopefully AAA

Any help on where to apply with this low score? KCL and QM deff outta the window D:
Also does anyone know where places like Manchester, Barts, Bristol and Birmingham stand on UKCAT heaviness (i.e cut-offs for interview places)

I'm considering Biological Sciences, Neuroscience, and Biomedical Sciences (I'm so indecisive ik)

I'm basically asking someone to sort my life out for me but ant help is greatly appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by nitashaaxx

GCSEs- 10 a*s

Any help on where to apply with this low score? KCL and QM deff outta the window D:
Also does anyone know where places like Manchester, Barts, Bristol and Birmingham stand on UKCAT heaviness (i.e cut-offs for interview places)

I'm considering Biological Sciences, Neuroscience, and Biomedical Sciences (I'm so indecisive ik)

I'm basically asking someone to sort my life out for me but ant help is greatly appreciated :smile:

There are medical schools that don't look at UKCAT. I think Liverpool is one of them :smile:

GCSEs- 10 a*s

Have you considered taking the BMAT as well that would increase your options
Those GCSEs seem suited to Birmingham and Cardiff. Brum started using the UKCAT more recently and I don't think they operate a cutoff. Cardiff don't operate a UKCAT cutoff and only use the UKCAT as a tiebreaker between applicants who are neck-and-neck.

I'm sure there are more, plus you might want to look into taking the BMAT.
Reply 4
Original post by NPWorld
There are medical schools that don't look at UKCAT. I think Liverpool is one of them :smile:

I don't actually think there are any Med schools that don't look at UKCAT,:colonhash: and unfortunately Liverpool looks at UKCAT :frown:thanks for the reply though :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by DibbyDabby
Have you considered taking the BMAT as well that would increase your options

Hi yes I have and am thinking of applying to Imperial but BMAT is quite risky so I would only really apply to one or two at most :colonhash:

Which means I still have 3 UKCAT unis to apply for:s-smilie:
Reply 6
I don't actually think there are any Med schools that don't look at UKCAT,:colonhash: and unfortunately Liverpool looks at UKCAT :frown:thanks for the reply though :smile:

Damn. My bad. Just checked it. They do look at it now, when I applied back in the day, Liverpool didn't look at UKCAT.
Try Keele, Liverpool, Cardiff and Birmingham

Also consider BMAT but lil risky
Reply 8
Original post by dairychocolate
Those GCSEs seem suited to Birmingham and Cardiff. Brum started using the UKCAT more recently and I don't think they operate a cutoff. Cardiff don't operate a UKCAT cutoff and only use the UKCAT as a tiebreaker between applicants who are neck-and-neck.

I'm sure there are more, plus you might want to look into taking the BMAT.

Hi thanks for the reply yeah I've heard Cardiff don't place too much emphasis on UKCAT and only really use it to differentiate between two similar high scoring students. Brum do use UKCAT however but idk how much emphasis is placed on this.

I am considering Imperial but still have 3 more unis to apply for:colonhash::s-smilie:
Reply 9
Original post by NPWorld
Damn. My bad. Just checked it. They do look at it now, when I applied back in the day, Liverpool didn't look at UKCAT.

Haha same was true with Bristol. Med schools are just getting tougher to get into I guess :colonhash:I assume you're a med student?
Reply 10
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Try Keele, Liverpool, Cardiff and Birmingham

Also consider BMAT but lil risky

Hi yh Cardiff and Brum are deff on my radar, Keele and Liverpool not so much but I'll look into them. Med schools just don't state their cut-offs and don't really want to risk an application :colonhash:

Yh my thoughts exactly BMAT is risky:redface: Thx for the reply
Reply 11
Also anyone know the UKCAT situation at Barts and Manchester?
Reply 12
Haha same was true with Bristol. Med schools are just getting tougher to get into I guess :colonhash:I assume you're a med student?

Yeah I am.

It is getting tougher, but as long as you get at least AAA and have a real passion for medicine, nothing can stop you from getting in, even if it might take some time.

In your case, it is all about finding universities that suit your strength. I am sure there are still a few med schools that give lower importance to UKCAT.
Plus, 640 isn't the worst, as long you make up for it in other areas, like having good predicted grades, GCSEs (which is perfect in your case), and personal statement.
Then, once you get your interview, smash it :biggrin:

Good luck ! :smile:
Hi yh Cardiff and Brum are deff on my radar, Keele and Liverpool not so much but I'll look into them. Med schools just don't state their cut-offs and don't really want to risk an application :colonhash:

Yh my thoughts exactly BMAT is risky:redface: Thx for the reply

Yw my sister had a similar problem in 2015 entry( worse ukcat of about 570 maybe less) and she got interviews for all 4 with offers from Birmingham and Keele.

She had 9 A*s which is why I suggested it :smile:

What are your extra curricular like? She had 4 As tho, I think I remember reading somewhere b ham wanted 4 As but it might have changed for linear courses
(edited 7 years ago)
Also anyone know the UKCAT situation at Barts and Manchester?

Barts is QMUL.
Manchester's UKCAT cut off last year was 640 so that would be very risky since you're right on the boundary and it'll probably go up this year.
Reply 15
That's a solid UKCAT performance, well done! It would be risky to apply to UKCAT heavy universities such as King's and Newcastle. But research how each medical school uses the UKCAT.

Original post by Lewishier
Barts is QMUL.
Manchester's UKCAT cut off last year was 640 so that would be very risky since you're right on the boundary and it'll probably go up this year.

I heard from friends that the cut off was around 665 last year for Manchester?
Original post by Amedic
That's a solid UKCAT performance, well done! It would be risky to apply to UKCAT heavy universities such as King's and Newcastle. But research how each medical school uses the UKCAT.

I heard from friends that the cut off was around 665 last year for Manchester?

I used this: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/admissions_process_statistics_fo_10#incoming-820006
FOIs give so much helpful info.

GCSEs- 10 a*s

I had very similar stats to you and got interviews at Cardiff, Bham and QUB and 2 offers! Good luck and feel free to pm me if you have any questions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18

Thanks Lewishier :smile: Yeah I agree that website is quite helpful. Just for info, that was indeed the cut off but for 2015 entry. It went up a bit for 2016 entry.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi thanks for the reply yeah I've heard Cardiff don't place too much emphasis on UKCAT and only really use it to differentiate between two similar high scoring students. Brum do use UKCAT however but idk how much emphasis is placed on this.

I am considering Imperial but still have 3 more unis to apply for:colonhash::s-smilie:

Imperial is a good choice.

I also had strong GCSEs and, during my first application cycle, Imperial gave me an offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending