The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AnIndianGuy
No I am offered Further Maths I just didn't take it

Oh right, well I suppose you just need to do as well as possible in normal maths then. When you apply and enter your AS results on the SAQ, Cambridge combine all the maths and further maths modules into one average, so I suppose having only done normal maths then they would expect a higher average than for those with further maths as well? @Christ's Admissions
Original post by catscatsmanycats
Our son is aiming for Computer Science at Cambridge.

He has an unusual history (for various reasons but not "extenuating circumstances":wink: and took his exams young, over a couple of years, and in a bit of a strange order. His GCSE grades are eclectic (including Bs and Cs) but the ones that matter are good: Maths A*, Chemistry A*, Physics A.

This past year he did all of A-level Maths (A*, UMS 96), the first year of A-level physics (A), and several GCSEs. Next year he will take Further Maths A-level, Physics A2, and what used to be Chemistry AS (and is now just the first year of Chemistry A-level).

He will apply post-results and will have Maths, Further Maths and Physics A-levels, and that first-year-of-Chemistry. He has interesting supercurriculars and we're hopeful for him.

During his application year, he is interested in doing an industry placement and has good chances at some relevant and challenging work. Our concern is whether he should pursue any more academic work that year as well or instead.

1) Will it be all right to have only that first year of chemistry, or would it be a better idea for him to complete the chemistry A-level during his gap year alongside or perhaps at the expense of a full-time industry placement?

2) We understand that universities like to see that students have taken their three or more A-levels the same year, to give an indication of their ability to manage course load. He will have not done precisely that, but will have done something perhaps equivalent enough (Maths A2, Physics-first-year + 3 GCSEs last year/FM A2, Physics A2, Chemistry-first-year this coming year). That means he'll have one A2 result (Maths) from 2016 and two A2 results (FM, Physics) from 2017. Is that likely to be seen as acceptable, given that he had other courses at the same time, just not all A2 courses?

Thanks very much for any guidance, and for all of your participation here :-)

Hello and thanks for your questions. It's not uncommon for students to have done an A Level a year early (especially Maths) and doing two more plus an AS in his final year will be fine and not a problem. I don't think he's need to complete Chemistry A Level in his gap year. If he has something lined up that is relevant and worthwhile then that's a good use of his time.
Original post by Cherub012
So now that ums is removed, how will they shortlist applicants for interview?

By looking at all the information that we had. We have a new data point now with the pre-interview admissions assessments which will help us but don't forget that we are very used to dealing with applications from people not studying old-style A levels. We know how to assess applicants without modular A Levels.
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Hello and thanks for your questions. It's not uncommon for students to have done an A Level a year early (especially Maths) and doing two more plus an AS in his final year will be fine and not a problem. I don't think he's need to complete Chemistry A Level in his gap year. If he has something lined up that is relevant and worthwhile then that's a good use of his time.

Thank you! That is reassuring to hear. Much appreciated :-)
Original post by UGall
Thanks for the advice. Can you give me a perspective on whether my profile would be good enough to apply for a deferred entry place? I think that I would benefit from a gap year to enable me to try and do some practical archaeology and also to read more on early modern history so that I am better informed when choosing options during the degree itself.

Applying for deferred entry, you won't be treated differently or held to a higher standard than a direct entry applicant. If we think you're good enough for this year, then you'll get an offer for next.
Original post by metrize
Are open applications treated the same way as normal applications? Which interview tests will there be since different colleges have different interview tests?

Yes, once you have been assigned to a college (which usually happens a few days after the application deadline) you are treated as a standard applicant to the college. You will sit the pre-interview or at-interview assessment as normal and, if the college does ask for an additional test (very rare) then you will do that at interview in the same way as everyone else.
Yes, once you have been assigned to a college (which usually happens a few days after the application deadline) you are treated as a standard applicant to the college. You will sit the pre-interview or at-interview assessment as normal and, if the college does ask for an additional test (very rare) then you will do that at interview in the same way as everyone else.

Also, are there at college assessments for engineering? I can't find any example paper
Original post by thatawesomekid
What's a good/ typical BMAT score? I'm getting around 7 and 7.5+ in sections 1 and 2 respectively

At Christ's over the last few years our successful entrants average 6.0 and 6.0 in the BMAT, so basically AA. As a rule of thumb, anything above 5.0 is fine, anything above 6.0 is good anything about 7.0 is excellent.
Original post by metrize
Also, are there at college assessments for engineering? I can't find any example paper

There is a pre-interview assessment for engineering, the specification for which can be found here. Some colleges have tests at interview, this will give you an idea of which ones (I think that this is up to date but double check with the colleges to be sure).
Original post by Anna.Karenina
Hi! I'm currently studying Linguistics and Comparative Literature at Queen Mary, University of London, which is RG. I'm on course for a 67, and got 63 and 65 in my first and second year respectively, which I know is below par for Oxbridge. However, in my first year, my health deteriorated and I was hospitalised about six times, and in my second year, I had a baby. I still managed to get high 2.1s and firsts in my relevant modules, and even handed in an assignment two days after my son was born (and only asked for an extension for one assignment, which I think shows dedication and an ability to handle a high workload) I hope to apply for a Masters in Linguistics, but given that most will be applying with a higher degree classification than I, is it a wasted application? Thank you :smile:

I deal mainly with undergraduate admissions and only with graduate admissions in my own subject (History). Given your circumstances, and providing that you reach the 67 in final year, then I think that, with a strong set of references and a proposal, that a master's place is not out of your reach.
How will the requirements for auto-pooling change with the omission of UMS?

Thanks
Hello!

I want to study medicine and was just wondering whether I would make a competitive applicant in light of my grades. At GCSE I got 10A*s and 1B in English Literature. At AS, our school took all the exams, and I got As in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Religious studies. However, I do not know if my UMS is sufficient: Maths C1: 98, C2: 95 and S1: 87, and RS Paper 1: 100, Paper 2: 67. Will the second UMS in RS be alright and allowed as an 'unlucky' module?

Many thanks in advance, and sorry for the lengthiness of the post. :colondollar:
I am applying for Law. I have 11 A* at GCSE and AAAA at AS. However, I did my AS levels in Wales where AS counts 40% towards the A level. I got 100% ums in History, 96.5% in Literature, 94% in Maths, 90% in French. Would Cambridge look at this ums and how would the UMS average be calculated? Also how strong is my application based on grades alone among applicants?
Firstly, thank you very much for taking the time to do this forum, it is so helpful.

I am just starting year 13 and will be applying for Biological Natural Sciences. I am currently studying Chemistry, Biology, Maths, English Literature and the EPQ for A level. I am predicted an A in English Literature but I know from conversations with various people at the Cambridge Open Day that English Literature would not be included in an offer. I am therefore considering whether I should:

a) Continue with English to A2 as originally planned.
b)Drop English and concentrate fully on my other subjects, (I am concerned this may disadvantage me against others applying with 4 or more A levels and as it is not a reformed subject I will have no AS to show for it)
c) Drop English and study Further Maths AS (if this is possible in my timetable)

I was wondering if you could give me your opinion on the above and whether any one option would be considered better or worse than the rest.

Thank you for your help.
Hello,

I am starting year 13 and I will be applying for Economics. I'm currently studying Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Government & Politics for A level. I am thinking about dropping Politics.

However, I've heard that some universities dislike applicants with maths, further maths and only one other A level as it is apparently too narrow. Would my application be disadvantaged if I applied with Maths, Further Maths and Economics?

In short, which would be better for my application:

A) Keeping all 4 A levels to A2
B) Dropping politics.

Or would it not matter?

Thanks for your help.
With three As at AS Level (are you in Wales or Northern Ireland given that you still have UMS?) you will be a good candidate and there's no reason why you would have to perform at a significantly higher level than normal to get an interview. The D in Economics will obviously be a concern but not an insurmountable one by any means.

We won't be using the assessments to de-select large portions of the field in the same way Oxford does for popular subjects there. They will be a useful data point and will be a factor in de-selection and offer making but not an overriding one.

Hi thanks so much for replying, I'm a bit confused about the UMS thing. I'm from England but some of my subjects are the new, reformed, 'linear' subjects and some aren't? (I go to a state school btw)

For example my maths and german are unreformed and so I assume that the marks I have for that are UMS ones? (eg. my marks from this count towards my full a-level)

For history and economics (my reformed subjects) I just asked my teachers and they told me what I got, as both of those subjects' exams are out of a 100 I just took those marks as UMS percentages.

Bit confused about this, if I have what I got in the exams for my 'linear' subjects (in terms of marks) do I not put this on my UCAS application or on the Cambridge SAQ? Obviously scoring 95% on my history AS level considering I'm applying for history is something I'd like to include as part of my application....
Original post by James88898
First of all thank you for taking the time to help us in this thread! I narrowly missed my offer this year by 1 UMS in Physics and as such I am considering to reapply for Engineering.

I have a relatively strong GCSE and AS profile (9A* at GCSE, 7A grades at AS with above 95 UMS in relevant subjects).

However, I am concerned about my low A2 grades, hence why I am unsure whether to reapply. Would it be possible for you to make a quick judgement? Exam boards are all OCR.

Maths - A* (C3 = 93, C4 = 91). Average = 92%
F. Maths - A* (M2 = 100, FP2 = 82, S2 = 100, S3 = 93). Average = 94%. Averaging 3 best = 97.6%.
Chemistry - A (Unit F324 = 92.2%, Unit F325 = 82.6%, and in the practicals I got 90%). Average = 87%
Physics - A (85.6% in G484, 96% in G485, and 80% in the practicals). Average = 89.7%
Will be retaking G484 and the physics practical.

Was predicted four A*s this year, but an extenuating circumstance (serious illness in close family) has affected my A2 grades. If I reapply I will mention this in the ECF form.

May I ask, if you were looking at my application, whether you would consider my application as strong, and so worth reapplying?

Many thanks for your help - it's honestly a relief to have some idea whether to reapply!

First, I'm sorry to hear about your family illness and how this affected your results. It should certainly be mentioned in an ECF. You have met the standard offer and with your ECF I certainly think you would be a viable re-applicant though by no means a shoe-in.

A lot will depend on whether you have an insurance choice already. if so, you need to thinkcarefully about whether you wish to take that up or to mortgage another year for Cambridge. That's a decision I can't advise you on, it's one you have to take in consultation with your school, your family and friends. Best of luck with whatever you decide.
Original post by Strimpy
Hi thanks so much for replying, I'm a bit confused about the UMS thing. I'm from England but some of my subjects are the new, reformed, 'linear' subjects and some aren't? (I go to a state school btw)

For example my maths and german are unreformed and so I assume that the marks I have for that are UMS ones? (eg. my marks from this count towards my full a-level)

For history and economics (my reformed subjects) I just asked my teachers and they told me what I got, as both of those subjects' exams are out of a 100 I just took those marks as UMS percentages.

Bit confused about this, if I have what I got in the exams for my 'linear' subjects (in terms of marks) do I not put this on my UCAS application or on the Cambridge SAQ? Obviously scoring 95% on my history AS level considering I'm applying for history is something I'd like to include as part of my application....

Ok, so reformed subjects do not have UMS. They have raw marks which are not the same as UMS. We are not collecting raw marks on the SAQ or through UCAS. Schools are able to tell us raw marks if they wish and, in your case, I would suggest that they mention them.

We will be collecting UMS on unreformed AS Levels and A2s on the SAQ as in previous years.

I hope that this clears it up. :smile:
Original post by AnIndianGuy
Should I bother to apply to Cambridge with AAAB at AS? I'm dropping the B as it isn't relevant to Economics. I'm predicted 3 A*'s in A2 and got 92% UMS in Maths

Yes, it's fine to apply with AAAB for Economics. Your Maths UMS is fine though won;t be among the highest and you will find yourself up against a lot of candidates with further maths.
Ok, so reformed subjects do not have UMS. They have raw marks which are not the same as UMS. We are not collecting raw marks on the SAQ or through UCAS. Schools are able to tell us raw marks if they wish and, in your case, I would suggest that they mention them.

We will be collecting UMS on unreformed AS Levels and A2s on the SAQ as in previous years.

I hope that this clears it up. :smile:

Thanks so much think I get it now :h:

Latest

Trending

Trending