The Student Room Group

ISIS bans football referee for enforcing FIFA based rules which are 'unislamic'

Isis bans football referees in Syria because they enforce 'laws of Fifa not Sharia'

So-called Islamic State declares implementation of international rules 'illegitimate'

Isis has reportedly outlawed football referees in one of its Syrian strongholds because they implement Fifa rules “in violation of the commands of Allah”.

The UK-based Syrian Observatory or Human Rights (SOHR) said commanders had also drawn up a list of rules detailing how injured players can be compensated by their opponents under Sharia law.

Monitors reported that the so-called Islamic State had declared the implementation of international football rules “illegitimate” in Deir ez-Zor governorate.

Local sources told SOHR militants told football organisers referees would be banned because their decisions “do not judge according to what Allah has revealed” and are “a violation of Allah’s command and the Sunnah”.

A system of “Qisas” for injured footballers was also brought in, referring to the retributive justice system enacted under Sharia law, where victims can claim compensation or exact revenge.

The reported ban was decided by courts established by Isis to rule on issues of Islamic jurisprudence according to its extremist ideology.

It came before the start of league matches due to take place between teams in the group’s territory around Deir ez-Zor city.

“We’re lucky because the football we play does not run using Fifa’s name then the organisation [Isis] would have stopped games once and for all and not just refereeing,” a player told SOHR.

The account could not be verified but would be in line with several other prohibitions brought in by Isis as it seeks to impose its bloody interpretation of Sharia law.

Smoking, satellite dishes, dancing, watching foreign television and private internet access have all incurred the wrath of the so-called Islamic State.

Any alleged infractions to its exhaustive laws can be met with punishments including flogging, shooting, beheading and burning.

Isis is currently battling to maintain control Deir ez-Zor city amid an offensive by forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad.

The group has suffered a series of significant defeats in its territories across Syria and Iraq in recent months and was dealt a new blow this week with the killing of propaganda head Abu Muhammad al-Adnani.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/isis-bans-football-referees-fifa-sharia-law-syria-commands-allah-a7218466.html
I hate all this "So-called Islamic State" nonsense. They are a state, as they have a functioning government, and they're islamic.
Original post by MildredMalone
I hate all this "So-called Islamic State" nonsense. They are a state, as they have a functioning government, and they're islamic.

I think the term "So called Islamic State" is probably used, because the majority of Muslims would believe that it is, in many ways, inaccurate to describe them as genuinely Islamic. This is seen as something they claim to be rather than something they actually are.

Referring to them as the "So called Islamic State" avoids all debate over the extent to which they're genuinely consistent with Islam, and rests on something more concrete, namely that they certainly call themselves the "Islamic State" regardless of whether or not it's true.
(edited 7 years ago)
Lmao. Do the laws of Shariah cover football though? Don't think Allah thought that far ahead
Reply 4
Didn't football originate from Western cultures? So they ban the referee and not the sport... because clearly the referee is to blame for the sport being "unislamic" :lol:

****ing stupid logic
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by UWS
Didn't football originate from Western cultures? So they ban the referee and not the sport... because clearly the referee is to blame for the sport being "unislamic" :lol:

****ing stupid logic

Anything fun or creative is anti-islamic.
Reply 6
Anything fun or creative is anti-islamic.

Football is exactly that, fun and creative. So why don't they ban football? It seems that things are only "unislamic" when it suits them. So very selective and so dumb.
Lol so when you're fouled and "injured" you can exact revenge? Everyone's going to be out with injury, it'll end up 1 on 1 with the keeper....and the other guy is the opponents keeper.
it reminds me of 4 lions when Barry says ''is that an islam argument cuz i only recognise islamic arguments''

Referring to unrecognised/illegitimate states by some form of circumlocution, or just by using quote marks, is fairly common political and media practice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
"Where victims can claim compensation or exact revenge"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tazarooni89
I think the term "So called Islamic State" is probably used, because the majority of Muslims would believe that it is, in many ways, inaccurate to describe them as genuinely Islamic. This is seen as something they claim to be rather than something they actually are.

Is that not also true of Ahmadis?

Large amounts of Sunnis would even think the same about Shias, so I'm not sure to what extent these opinions should inform our perception of the Islamic State etc.
Original post by lawyer3c
Is that not also true of Ahmadis?

Large amounts of Sunnis would even think the same about Shias, so I'm not sure to what extent these opinions should inform our perception of the Islamic State etc.

Well the term "so called Islamic state" is useful in the sense that, it merely stops short of presuming that its principles are based on genuine Islam (as opposed to actually rejecting the notion that it is). There doesn't need to be any debate about whether or not it's correct.

Personally I would be happy to also use terms like "So called Shia, so called Sunni, so called Ahmadi Muslims" as well; because as far as Islam goes, there is no such thing as a "type" of Muslim or any official sect - these are just nicknames that various groups of people have given themselves.
Original post by tazarooni89
Well the term "so called Islamic state" is useful in the sense that, it merely stops short of presuming that its principles are based on genuine Islam (as opposed to actually rejecting the notion that it is). There doesn't need to be any debate about whether or not it's correct.

Personally I would be happy to also use terms like "So called Shia, so called Sunni, so called Ahmadi Muslims" as well; because as far as Islam goes, there is no such thing as a "type" of Muslim or any official sect - these are just nicknames that various groups of people have given themselves.

Fair enough.
If you didn't know any better you'd think that's an Onion article*
So an uncomfirmed report says that league teams playing football against each other in one district of another country may be using different rules? And that's headline news? I'm not even interested in football in Scotland. I would have thought that there are far more sinister things happening in that country at the moment to occupy the news media.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending