The Student Room Group

Chemistry...help

I think I have forgotten all of chemistry. I just got an A in my GCSE and am doing my homework, there's a question that says chose from the options which atom has a different amount of protons, neutrons and electrons and the answer is supposed to be Fluorine, but Fluorine is 19/9 so ten protons and 10 electrons, no?
Original post by Wordnerd2
I think I have forgotten all of chemistry. I just got an A in my GCSE and am doing my homework, there's a question that says chose from the options which atom has a different amount of protons, neutrons and electrons and the answer is supposed to be Fluorine, but Fluorine is 19/9 so ten protons and 10 electrons, no?

Well, almost... 9 is the proton number, so a Fluorine atom has 9 protons, 10 neutrons and 9 electrons.

That seems like a very bad question because all atoms have the same number of protons and electrons. This is because all atoms, by definition, have neutral charge overall, so must have the same numbers of protons as electrons to balance the charges. Hence, that is a very awkward question...
Reply 2
Yeah that's what I meant, 10 electrons and 10 protons and this question was from the OCR text book...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Waitttt error again XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wordnerd2
Yeah that's what I meant, 10 electrons and 10 protons and this question was from the OCR text book...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could you take a picture of the question, or write it on here with the exact wording and all the options that were given? Then I might be able to help.

Quick Reply

Latest