The Student Room Group

Oxford PAT 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Original post by RPFeyn
I'm just mega intimidated by the PAT. I look at some of the maths questions on there and can honestly say I have no idea what they even mean. My lack of confidence is making me think that I shouldn't apply, but I think that my ambitious side would regret not even trying.

Hey, me and a lot of my friends felt that way about the maths part (physics part doesn't look bad at all at first) since it's just so different from A-Level questions but ultimately being different in style doesn't mean it's harder, you get used to the style with practice. One way to get over this is do maths questions much harder than the PAT and once you get back to it it will seem like a joke. Try working through the MAT with the mark scheme and work up from there.
Original post by RPFeyn
I'm just mega intimidated by the PAT. I look at some of the maths questions on there and can honestly say I have no idea what they even mean. My lack of confidence is making me think that I shouldn't apply, but I think that my ambitious side would regret not even trying.

The best way to improve and get confidence is probably to not give up when you get stuck. Just do it, try again until you finally get the answer. If an approach isnt working just try another approach. Do not look at solutions unless you feel you have tried hard enough.
Original post by rohan.nuck
The best way to improve and get confidence is probably to not give up when you get stuck. Just do it, try again until you finally get the answer. If an approach isnt working just try another approach. Do not look at solutions unless you feel you have tried hard enough.

Original post by Ipsooo
Hey, me and a lot of my friends felt that way about the maths part (physics part doesn't look bad at all at first) since it's just so different from A-Level questions but ultimately being different in style doesn't mean it's harder, you get used to the style with practice. One way to get over this is do maths questions much harder than the PAT and once you get back to it it will seem like a joke. Try working through the MAT with the mark scheme and work up from there.

You guys are really helpful :biggrin:

Will you be active on TSR even when you start at Oxford?
Reply 403
Original post by Ipsooo

I'm just wondering whether the 8 or so weeks I have left before the PAT would be sufficient. I had all A's at AS, but didn't do further maths, so this test is scaring me. Some parts literally look like they are written in Russian.
Original post by RPFeyn
I'm just wondering whether the 8 or so weeks I have left before the PAT would be sufficient. I had all A's at AS, but didn't do further maths, so this test is scaring me. Some parts literally look like they are written in Russian.

Okay russian is a bit extreme... would you mind giving an example ?
I really think you should study at least A level mechanics before the exam though
8 weeks is decent, you could maybe spend 1 week covering up somerelevant A2 material and then just practice everything, theres about 10 past papers, so 1 everyweek should be good. And then the rest of the time probably doing hard maths and physics problems ( Mat, step, bpho )
Original post by hellomynameisr

Ill be less active but active nonetheless
Reply 406
Original post by hellomynameisr

yea i will most likely be.... unless the work load is really as bad as some claim.. :tongue:
Reply 407
Okay russian is a bit extreme... would you mind giving an example ?
I really think you should study at least A level mechanics before the exam though
8 weeks is decent, you could maybe spend 1 week covering up somerelevant A2 material and then just practice everything, theres about 10 past papers, so 1 everyweek should be good. And then the rest of the time probably doing hard maths and physics problems ( Mat, step, bpho )

Actually, after looking at the solutions to one paper I think it's just the wording that has caught me out. When I see the actual method and solution it doesn't seem too bad. I think it's just a step above what I have done previously. My bad!
Reply 408
Original post by RPFeyn

Just don't think of it like.. I'll put in a lot of work and most likely won't get in so might as well not try... because all the work you put in is so helpful when it comes to your ALevels too :biggrin:
Original post by Ipsooo
yea i will most likely be.... unless the work load is really as bad as some claim.. :tongue:

It can't be that bad right ? xD
Side off topic question : How's the vacation work going ? Is your's the same as mine or does it vary between colleges ?
Original post by RPFeyn
Actually, after looking at the solutions to one paper I think it's just the wording that has caught me out. When I see the actual method and solution it doesn't seem too bad. I think it's just a step above what I have done previously. My bad!

See its not russaian its just shakespeare english. Good then, good luck !
Original post by RPFeyn

Would you mind giving some examples? I have broadly listed types of problems asked in maths section. It would be easy to help if you could classify your intimidating questions.

Original post by tangotangopapa2
What are some resources to practice maths section for the PAT other than past papers?The questions asked in PAT have quite a different nature compared to other and usually questions are of following properties/categories:1) Often simple questions involving mental arithmetic is asked e.g. 2023^2 - 2022^2, (3.12)^5 correct to one decimal place.2) Coordinate geometry of line includes, finding slope of line passing through two points or finding equation of the line passing through one point and having slope this (you need to find slope, e.g. perpendicular to another line). Coordinate geometry of circle is often asked but some of the questions that might put us off is like this: Find equation of line/lines tangent to the circle/curve and passing through this point (usually outside point).3) Simple questions testing properties of logarithms.4) Trigonometric equations; finding solution in a given interval. (Usually Pythagorean Identity has to be used and then quadratic equation has to be solved. Obviously, some extraneous results should be omitted). Some knowledge of inverse trigonometric function. e.g evaluate cos(tan^-1(sin(cot^-1x)))5) Arithmetic and geometric sequence and series, including finding sum of infinite geometric series.6) Factoring polynomials (degree 3 or 4) and finding all roots.7) Simple application of binomial expansion formula (Knowledge of Pascal's triangle is enough).8) Calculus: Rate of change e.g. If Rate of change of volume of water in cylinder is this, then what is the rate of change of height. Finding maxima/minima. Some harder questions like: Maximise area of rectangle of given perimeter. Simple knowledge of concavity, increasing/decreasing functions etc. is asked.9) Calculus: Finding area by integration. Finding definite integrals. Usually you either have to split expression into partial fractions or use algebraic substitution.10) Solving rational inequalities. Simple cautions to ensure no sign flip if you multiply equation by certain terms is often required.edit: I forgot this. 11) Probability theory: Simple probability questions. Sometimes one may have to use conditional probability formula but never binomial/Possion/Nomal distribution formula. One type of tricky question is: 3 special dice (each can give score of 1-8) are rolled. The score is calculated as Ad1 + Bd2 + Cd3 + D where A,B,C and D are constants and d1-3 are individual score of the die. Find the constants so that : - The score ranges from 1-512 and each score has equal probability.12) Roots of quadratic equation and their properties is assumed.13) Simple algebraic manipulation eg. If a= x^2 + y ^2 and b = 2xy express x and y in terms of a and b.14) Geometry. 95% of the time the question involves circle inscribed by polynomials ( most often equilateral triangle or square). You usually have to find the ratio of areas of two separate regions in the figure.15) The hardest of all. Curve sketching. Questions range from trivial to extremely challenging. You might have to use properties of transformation of graph. Sketch graphs of completely different/complicated functions. Sketch graphs of y = f(x) +/- g(x), y = f(x)g(x) or f(x)/g(x) where you know the graph of y = f(x) and y=g(x) separately. Sometimes you might have to sketch inequalities like. -2 < y/x < 4 or 0< y/x^2 < 6pi.MAT questions/ Senior Maths Challenge questions/ BMO questions don't have above mentioned properties. They deal with hard number theory, combinatorics, different type of algebra problems and provide very little help in brushing up above type of problems. So, what might help me to practice these type of problems? Thanks in advance.
You might want to look at individual replies (page 19 and 18-17 this thread) but summary of the replies were. 1) Use Solomon papers for A levels.2) Learn respective modules.3) Ask someone to generate similar papers for you or do it yourself.4) STEP 1 and STEP 2 papers ( I remember there used to be full answers/mark scheme and hints & solutions in physics and maths tutor website but I can't find them at the moment. Could anyone post link to full solutions of past STEP papers?5) Use MAT for trigonometry, algebra and other.

edit: the original post is not messy. Please click on original post above to and it should take you to the one.
(edited 7 years ago)
Side off topic question : How's the vacation work going ? Is your's the same as mine or does it vary between colleges ?

Is there a way to download vacation work for us to practise?
Would you mind giving some examples? I have broadly listed types of problems asked in maths section. It would be easy to help if you could classify your intimidating questions.

You might want to look at individual replies (page 19 and 18-17 this thread) but summary of the replies were. 1) Use Solomon papers for A levels.2) Learn respective modules.3) Ask someone to generate similar papers for you or do it yourself.4) STEP 1 and STEP 2 papers ( I remember there used to be full answers/mark scheme and hints & solutions in physics and maths tutor website but I can't find them at the moment. Could anyone post link to full solutions of past STEP papers?5) Use MAT for trigonometry, algebra and other.

edit: the original post is not messy. Please click on original post above to and it should take you to the one.

Are solomon papers really that hard ?
For the step thing : http://mathsorchard.weebly.com/step-past-papers.html
Theres also many solutions provided on TSR itself

I don't think i'm allowed to give you mine but google 'Oxford Physics Vacation work' the first link provides something similar i think
Reply 415

I think it's the same.... spoke to someone at teddys and she got the same... and fyi its going terribly since i havent started.. im planning on a mad dash through freshers week... rather enjoying my holidays atm :biggrin:
Reply 416

i can send it to you if you really want it.... but honestly its more of a A2 revision pack than anything else so not so worth it :wink:
Original post by Ipsooo
I think it's the same.... spoke to someone at teddys and she got the same... and fyi its going terribly since i havent started.. im planning on a mad dash through freshers week... rather enjoying my holidays atm :biggrin:

Okay thank ! Don't worry i probably won't be doing any of it until freshers or the week before that either :biggrin:
Reply 418

there are solution on tsr... but obviously they were done by some very clever people since they jump loads of steps and it ends up not making much sense... but i have yet to find an incorrect solution :tongue:
if the solution really doesnt make sense post it on here and we can all have a go at it :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 419
Okay thank ! Don't worry i probably won't be doing any of it until freshers or the week before that either :biggrin:

crap having read the email from my tutor more carefully it needs to be in the day we arrive... ie before freshers week :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest