The Student Room Group

Car insurance!?

I'm currently driving a Citroen C2 1.1L, ive had my licence for a year and got 1 year NCB. Im looking at potentially upgrading to something with a little more power (ideally a saloon). Does anyone have any good ideas of saloon cars under 1500 that are cheap to insure? And also some companies that are cheap (no telematics). Im currently with LV and paying 105pm.

Cheers
No saloon cars will be cheap to ensure with 1 year no claims.
Best to save up some money and get a better one too tbh. Because £1500 isnt gonna get you the best of ones im afraid (ive looked before).

But id wait another year to get another year NCB to further lower the insurance costs.
Hope this helps.

But good saloon cars for cheap (£5000 max)
Audi A4
BMW 3 series
Mercedes C Class

Ill let you check the years/models as its a personal taste
Original post by FireFreezer77
No saloon cars will be cheap to ensure with 1 year no claims.
Best to save up some money and get a better one too tbh. Because £1500 isnt gonna get you the best of ones im afraid (ive looked before).

But id wait another year to get another year NCB to further lower the insurance costs.
Hope this helps.

But good saloon cars for cheap (£5000 max)
Audi A4
BMW 3 series
Mercedes C Class

Ill let you check the years/models as its a personal taste

I agree.
Insurance company wise though- id recommend general accident, aviva, lv and co op
Original post by Emma:-)
I agree.
Insurance company wise though- id recommend general accident, aviva, lv and co op

Excellent! Insurance for young drivers sucks!
And Hastings too! Got a quote from them thats cheaper than having a black box (with 1 year NCB)

What are your thoughts on the Mazda RX8 btw?
Im tempted to get one as a second car.
I can afford the insurance, tax, car, fuel, oil etc...
Original post by FireFreezer77
Excellent! Insurance for young drivers sucks!
And Hastings too! Got a quote from them thats cheaper than having a black box (with 1 year NCB)

What are your thoughts on the Mazda RX8 btw?
Im tempted to get one as a second car.
I can afford the insurance, tax, car, fuel, oil etc...

Black boxes are over rated anyway and arent nearly as good as people make them out to be. They arent always cheaper (they are sometimes more expensive), theres the restrictions (e.g. mileage, curfews etc), and they can have quite a few issues.

The mazda rx8 is ok. Not my cup of tea, but they are nice cars.
Original post by Emma:-)
Black boxes are over rated anyway and arent nearly as good as people make them out to be. They arent always cheaper (they are sometimes more expensive), theres the restrictions (e.g. mileage, curfews etc), and they can have quite a few issues.

The mazda rx8 is ok. Not my cup of tea, but they are nice cars.

Couldnt agree more! I had one for a year and it was awful!
I know, hence why i posted that my current insurance is cheaper than having a black box!
Black Boxes are just rubbish! Dont get one ever! Theyre not worth it.

Ah fair enough, i really want one!!!
Reply 6
why are you against having a black box? They make your driving cheaper and safer, there's literally nothing to lose.

also if you're paying £1200 for a 1.1 car, 1) you're getting ripped off; 2) any saloon/estate car worth its weight will have a 1.8+ engine so your insurance is gonna skyrocket.

Don't know why the buffoon above recommended an RX-8... you'd be looking at £2000+ insurance and their road tax is £515 pa. not to mention they get under 20 MPG so you'd double your fuel costs from a C1... i thought this post was about saving money??
Reply 7
Im against black boxes because i dont want someone dictating how i drive and penilsing for me for any reason. Im paying 105pm at the moment so that price is from when i started driving with no road experience and no NCB. I dont mind paying 100pm again for a car that isnt so sluggish.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending