The Student Room Group

Italy: 10,000 migrants rescued from Mediterranean in 48 hours

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jammy Duel
Ummm, they aren't refugees and we are CAUSING more deaths.

We aren't saving 10,000, we're condemning another lot of thousands. Pray tell how many people have drowned because they chose to attempt the journey? Must be over 10,000 by now. Now ask yourself, why did they die? The answer is simple: attempting to male the journey. Why did they attempt to make the journey? Because they believed they would make it to Europe. Why did they believe they could make it? Because they knew if they were picked up they would be taken there.

The Australians had the exact same issue a few years back, they had hundreds of drownings with people trying to get into Australia, the difference is they were sensible and deported anybody that was caught, guess how many die now? I would wager more have died today trying to get into Europe than have died for the last couple of years trying to get into Australia, by that I mean I wager people died today because you liberals lack common sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Call them what you want to fulfil your political incorrectness desire, but that doesn't change the situation, does it?
Original post by Good bloke
On the contrary, towing their vessels back to Libya (and, preferably, scuttling them once the migrants had disembarked) would work very well and be very inexpensive compared to taking them to Italy. It would also deter more people from attempting the journey.

we would be internationally criticised, we would lose the co-operation of the Libyan, Turkish and Tunisian governments, not to mention it would be vastly expensive and impossible to patrol the entire Mediterranean and to send them back, especially when many of them are almost drowning and need immediate medical help
Original post by alevelstresss
Call them what you want to fulfil your political incorrectness desire, but that doesn't change the situation, does it?

Call them refugees if you insist on being the PC police, but that doesn't make them refugees. A refugee wouldn't get somewhere safe and then continue a further thousand miles or more to greater prosperity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vividly clear
So because people are swimming from far distances to come to Europe we should just accept all of them with open arms without any questions.

I stand by the idea I've always had since this crisis started, and that's only to admit in families, a mother a father and children. No individual person at all, especially military aged men, leaving their homeland to scrounge of the government.

I hate you one-dimensional people

"OH SO YOU MEAN *insert blatantly wrong interpretation of what I'm saying*"

Its not as simple as that, we should be welcoming them in because whether we like it or not, they're coming and alienating them only increases the likelihood of them wanting to harm us, meanwhile we should work internally within the black markets of Europe and also to find a peaceful resolution to the Syrian Civil War so that ISIS can be destroyed as quickly as possible
I hate you one-dimensional people

"OH SO YOU MEAN *insert blatantly wrong interpretation of what I'm saying*"

Its not as simple as that, we should be welcoming them in because whether we like it or not, they're coming and alienating them only increases the likelihood of them wanting to harm us, meanwhile we should work internally within the black markets of Europe and also to find a peaceful resolution to the Syrian Civil War so that ISIS can be destroyed as quickly as possible

Like are you reading the rubbish you're saying?

Lets let them in because if we don't they will commit terrorist attacks against us. By far the dumbest suggestion as to why we should take in more economic migrants masquerading as refugees.
Like are you reading the rubbish you're saying?

Lets let them in because if we don't they will commit terrorist attacks against us. By far the dumbest suggestion as to why we should take in more economic migrants masquerading as refugees.

No, you misread my pretty simple statement

Alienating the immigrants causes radicalisation, its that simple

how did you manage to confuse this?
They'll be in Old Blighty taking our jobs and women soon enough, mark my words
No, you misread my pretty simple statement

Alienating the immigrants causes radicalisation, its that simple

how did you manage to confuse this?

That still isn't an excuse to let them in because their isolation will lead to terrorism, and that is what you said.

You said "whether we like it or not they are coming and alienating them only increases the chances of them trying to harm us"

And also 97% of the so called refugees are coming from Islamic countries and most of them are muslims, why would extreme isolation lead to people who follow the religion of peace lead to radicalisation?

Shouldn't the religion of peace make the person happy even when they are down?
That still isn't an excuse to let them in because their isolation will lead to terrorism, and that is what you said.

You said "whether we like it or not they are coming and alienating them only increases the chances of them trying to harm us"

And also 97% of the so called refugees are coming from Islamic countries and most of them are muslims, why would extreme isolation lead to people who follow the religion of peace lead to radicalisation?

Shouldn't the religion of peace make the person happy even when they are down?

You've got the whole visualisation of this process wrong. This is NOT a situation where we have a choice about whether they come or not, they're coming, whether we like it or not. So instead of being an ultra-right, unrealistic visionary, try to work realistically with the situation we have. We cannot realistically round them up and send them back and dump them in somewhere-istan, we cannot realistically shoot their boats, we cannot realistically prevent them from entering our country.

So instead of whinging about their 'backwards culture' and 'terrorist-supporting religion', why don't we work to ensure that there is smooth integration with no racial hatred and no bigotry - given that these two things have been shown to encourage radicalisation.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I don't accept that premise that that is what will happen if you accept the 10,000 people.

Then you are living in denial, that 10,000 joins up with the other hug numbers of people and simply makes the problem (collapse of civilisation) worse.
Original post by BaconandSauce
this will destroy our countries if we don't stop is soon and undo the damage already done.
I agree, one day they will turn their muslamic ray guns upon us and demand Sharon law.
Original post by The_Opinion
Then you are living in denial, that 10,000 joins up with the other hug numbers of people and simply makes the problem (collapse of civilisation) worse.

I am as worried of fascist types like yourself mucking up western civilisation again as I am Islamist and backward middle-eastern cultures.
You've got the whole visualisation of this process wrong. This is NOT a situation where we have a choice about whether they come or not, they're coming, whether we like it or not.

The argument isn't whether they are coming or not, I know they are but the measures that I suggest that should be put in place which I will list below will prevent further refugees thinking that Europe is justa place where undocumented people can just come in a enjoy life.

So instead of being an ultra-right, unrealistic visionary, try to work realistically with the situation we have. We cannot realistically round them up and send them back and dump them in somewhere-istan, we cannot realistically shoot their boats, we cannot realistically prevent them from entering our country.

No one is saying shoot down the boats, and no one is saying we should round them up, this isn't some 1930's Jewish purge, what we can do is deploy a large security force at the ports in Tripoli and other European countries where these migrants are coming in, find the families that have reasonable documentation and let those ones in, I have no problem with that, but send the others back with large amounts of food and resources.

So instead of whinging about their 'backwards culture' and 'terrorist-supporting religion', why don't we work to ensure that there is smooth integration with no racial hatred and no bigotry - given that these two things have been shown to encourage radicalisation.

From what I've seen European countries have no problem at all giving these people a chance to integrate, it's the refugees that do not integrate, it's the refugees that blow themselves up after getting rejected from asylum, it's the refugees that constantly rape beautiful swedish underage girls, it's the refugees that attempt to butcher innocent people on trains, and it's the refugees that constantly stab and murder church goers, other migrants and anyone they just can't get along with. A simple glance at Germany and Sweden will show you all this.
I am as worried of fascist types like yourself mucking up western civilisation again as I am Islamist and backward middle-eastern cultures.

Oh, you called someone a fascist, how smart and clever you are :h:. That means that you automatically win, you missed out on bonus points by not saying racist.
The argument isn't whether they are coming or not, I know they are but the measures that I suggest that should be put in place which I will list below will prevent further refugees thinking that Europe is justa place where undocumented people can just come in a enjoy life.

No one is saying shoot down the boats, and no one is saying we should round them up, this isn't some 1930's Jewish purge, what we can do is deploy a large security force at the ports in Tripoli and other European countries where these migrants are coming in, find the families that have reasonable documentation and let those ones in, I have no problem with that, but send the others back with large amounts of food and resources.

From what I've seen European countries have no problem at all giving these people a chance to integrate, it's the refugees that do not integrate, it's the refugees that blow themselves up after getting rejected from asylum, it's the refugees that constantly rape beautiful swedish underage girls, it's the refugees that attempt to butcher innocent people on trains, and it's the refugees that constantly stab and murder church goers, other migrants and anyone they just can't get along with. A simple glance at Germany and Sweden will show you all this.

Some people are suggesting things like that, or simply dumping them in Libya.

And these refugees are integrating fine, its just the critics of this immigration like to focus their spotlight on the tiny handful which aren't integrating to promote their hateful agenda. You get many many many many more rapes, stabbings and incidents committed by the native population, but the ones done in relation to the migrant crisis gain headlines because the racist idiots in a country love to buy newspapers which blame their petty problems on foreigners, so they publish about these for £££. In reality, they are causing fewer problems than locals.
Original post by The_Opinion
Oh, you called someone a fascist, how smart and clever you are :h:. That means that you automatically win, you missed out on bonus points by not saying racist.

You would vote for a Franco if he came along. You fit the bill. As do my parents who are otherwise pretty mundane people. I don't use the term as a mindless slur.

You occupy the same slot in my brain for threat to western liberal democracy that an Islamist does.
(edited 7 years ago)
Call them refugees if you insist on being the PC police, but that doesn't make them refugees. A refugee wouldn't get somewhere safe and then continue a further thousand miles or more to greater prosperity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

FREE MARKETS.

You are the worse advocate of markets.
FREE MARKETS.

You are the worse advocate of markets.

There are no free markets, for what counts as a free market they do not need to go to the place that just happens to be thousands of miles away. They just happen to be going from a region with a GDP per capita of a grand to over 20 grand.

Turkey has a "free" market, they don't stay there. Greece has a "free" market, they don't stay there either. Hungary has a "free" market, Syria has a "free" market. In fact most of the world does, but there are only a very small number of countries they're trying to get to and they, by sheer coincidence, happen to be among the wealthiest countries in yje world.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You would vote for a Franco if he came along. You fit the bill. As do my parents who are otherwise pretty mundane people. I don't use the term as a mindless slur.

You occupy the same slot in my brain for threat to western liberal democracy that an Islamist does.

In which case you need to seriously re-evaluate how you see things. I have no desire to punish gays, force women to be "moral" and fundamentally change the entire nation, even if I don't agree about some things, I don't believing in forcing them to change. You are putting a group of people like me in the same box as people who will destroy this nation to such an extent that it becomes unrecognisable.
There are no free markets, for what counts as a free market they do not need to go to the place that just happens to be thousands of miles away. They just happen to be going from a region with a GDP per capita of a grand to over 20 grand.

Turkey has a "free" market, they don't stay there. Greece has a "free" market, they don't stay there either. Hungary has a "free" market, Syria has a "free" market. In fact most of the world does, but there are only a very small number of countries they're trying to get to and they, by sheer coincidence, happen to be among the wealthiest countries in yje world.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Markets transcend borders. Any real free marketer has to be distrustful of borders. At best borders and nation states are something you only do as a last resort. You are to eager for state protectionism.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending