The Student Room Group

Can i do A-level history eventhough i didn't take O-level history???(Plz comment plz)

Uhm... I'm really struggling for this problem nowadays
If i don't do history for gcse is it hard to handle A-level history??
Original post by yoonbenbeni
Uhm... I'm really struggling for this problem nowadays
If i don't do history for gcse is it hard to handle A-level history??

I guess you can but you will have to work really hard to catch up with those that have prior knowledge at GCSE level.
Reply 2
Original post by Workangel_24
I guess you can but you will have to work really hard to catch up with those that have prior knowledge at GCSE level.

First of all thank you for answering my question ^^

Uhmm Oh yes I'm gonna try really hard to catch up those things
But is there lots of difference between A-level history and GCSE level?
First of all thank you for answering my question ^^

Uhmm Oh yes I'm gonna try really hard to catch up those things
But is there lots of difference between A-level history and GCSE level?

GCSE History is really different to A Level History. There is more content to learn and exams will be more longer e.g. 2 hrs 15 mins. There will also be a coursework unit so it's a mixture of coursework and exams but the spec is linear (new spec) so if you do the AS exams in yr 12 you will be tested on the same topics in your yr 13 exams. You will have to do independent study (because it's an A Level and you can't depend on your teacher for everything). During independent study you can do lots of things like reading around your subject (e.g. if you're doing Hitler and Germany then you can find lots of interesting articles on it). When I chose my GCSEs I was actually going to do Geography but changed my mind last minute and did History. At first it seemed really boring and hard but in year 11 I completely loved it!! My favourite units were Germany 1919 - 1945, Russia (Coursework), Medicine through time and Surgery (Haha I basically just said all of the units I did). The coursework unit was the best and I think it was between 2000 - 3000 words. At A Level this may be higher. I was actually going to choose History for A Level but chose the sciences instead.
Reply 4
GCSE History is really different to A Level History. There is more content to learn and exams will be more longer e.g. 2 hrs 15 mins. There will also be a coursework unit so it's a mixture of coursework and exams but the spec is linear (new spec) so if you do the AS exams in yr 12 you will be tested on the same topics in your yr 13 exams. You will have to do independent study (because it's an A Level and you can't depend on your teacher for everything). During independent study you can do lots of things like reading around your subject (e.g. if you're doing Hitler and Germany then you can find lots of interesting articles on it). When I chose my GCSEs I was actually going to do Geography but changed my mind last minute and did History. At first it seemed really boring and hard but in year 11 I completely loved it!! My favourite units were Germany 1919 - 1945, Russia (Coursework), Medicine through time and Surgery (Haha I basically just said all of the units I did). The coursework unit was the best and I think it was between 2000 - 3000 words. At A Level this may be higher. I was actually going to choose History for A Level but chose the sciences instead.

Oh thank you for your reply again I'm really IMPRESSED hehe
Your so nice and you made so clear answer for me.
Uhm..Actually I just move to other country so I make hard to find how does british education system goes on kk and I was really like confused of A-level studies and GCSE one
but you just made me understand thank you!
And I was so surprised that A-level test last for more than 2hours haha
Now I'm considering to change my subject to history if I could
Thanksssss!
Oh thank you for your reply again I'm really IMPRESSED hehe
Your so nice and you made so clear answer for me.
Uhm..Actually I just move to other country so I make hard to find how does british education system goes on kk and I was really like confused of A-level studies and GCSE one
but you just made me understand thank you!
And I was so surprised that A-level test last for more than 2hours haha
Now I'm considering to change my subject to history if I could
Thanksssss!

Just saw your profile and you live in Malaysia! How's school like in Malaysia? I've heard there are many high educational institutions there e.g. Uni of Nottingham campus in Malaysia.
Reply 6
Just saw your profile and you live in Malaysia! How's school like in Malaysia? I've heard there are many high educational institutions there e.g. Uni of Nottingham campus in Malaysia.

Here's quite good and I'm now adapting to this circumstances ^^
Where do u live?? Is it nice?
ye you can, a level history don't cover the same topics as gcse history, so you don't even need to catch up, except for exam technique
I did GCSE History and A-level History. I'd say you're fine to do A-level without GCSE.
Reply 9
My local sixth form wouldn't let you do history without having done it at GCSE, however, my local college did

Quick Reply

Latest