The Student Room Group

First day of year 12/sixth form ADVICE

I start Tuesday 6 and I'm worried so any advice would be good

Scroll to see replies

I started today and its not much different from year 11 to be honest.
What does a first time year 12 student bring with them on the first day?
Original post by Oblivion99
I started today and its not much different from year 11 to be honest.

What resources do you need that aren't needed in year 11? And did your day start with an assembly?
Reply 4
I have my 'first day' tomorrow but its basically an induction day

is the sixth form your going to part of your high school or is it a new one???
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by s.mo
I have my 'first day' tomorrow but its basically an induction day

is the sixth form your going to part of your high school or is it a new one???

Part of my high school
Reply 6
Original post by Lucofthewoods
Part of my high school

ahh. so what are you worried about? you know the teachers and students there ?
Just take the usual stationery(pens, pencils, ruler etc). Take a folder to put in any handouts you may get. Take a notepad as you aren't usually given exercise books in sixth form. Your first lesson of each subject you're taking will probably be just an introductory talk. Not sure if any of this is really useful. Is there something you're particularly worried about?
Reply 8
Original post by Lucofthewoods
I start Tuesday 6 and I'm worried so any advice would be good

I was dreading going into year 12 last year, i knew about two people going to college and no one took my subjects. Be prepared for the ice breakers, think of some interesting things to say, even if they are lies and try not to look desperate if your trying to make friends, they need to cone naturally, i met my best friend on the first lesson of law, my other one took about 2 weeks.
Reply 9
Original post by BR1999
I was dreading going into year 12 last year, i knew about two people going to college and no one took my subjects. Be prepared for the ice breakers, think of some interesting things to say, even if they are lies and try not to look desperate if your trying to make friends, they need to cone naturally, i met my best friend on the first lesson of law, my other one took about 2 weeks.

:s-smilie: Im nervous now. what kind of things do they ask?
is it like what are your hobbies, what do you do n your spare time etc etc ??
Reply 10
Original post by s.mo
:s-smilie: Im nervous now. what kind of things do they ask?
is it like what are your hobbies, what do you do n your spare time etc etc ??

In law it was name one fun fact about someone on your table and share it with the group so they can guess who it is about.

We didn't do anything else in other subjects, it was just dead awkward because no one was speaking. But I'm that sort of person who makes a witty comment about the awkwardness :biggrin:. I'm sure you'll be fine, just try and get involved.

I've got to do it again this year, because my college decided it was a good idea to mix up the classes :colone:
Reply 11
Original post by BR1999
In law it was name one fun fact about someone on your table and share it with the group so they can guess who it is about.

We didn't do anything else in other subjects, it was just dead awkward because no one was speaking. But I'm that sort of person who makes a witty comment about the awkwardness :biggrin:. I'm sure you'll be fine, just try and get involved.

I've got to do it again this year, because my college decided it was a good idea to mix up the classes :colone:

ah ok. Most people there wont know each other tho lol and i dont dont know anyone there so ill try and get involved in stuff tho...
Reply 12
Original post by s.mo
ah ok. Most people there wont know each other tho lol and i dont dont know anyone there so ill try and get involved in stuff tho...

It's like that in most places, one tip, don't get to class really early, but get there early enough (about 2 minutes) so you get a decent pick of seats. Because trust me on the first day you'll get lots and lots of attention when your searching for a seat :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by BR1999
It's like that in most places, one tip, don't get to class really early, but get there early enough (about 2 minutes) so you get a decent pick of seats. Because trust me on the first day you'll get lots and lots of attention when your searching for a seat :biggrin:

Lool😂 That happened to me on induction day.
Reply 14
Original post by Rajive
Lool😂 That happened to me on induction day.

It happened to me on the first day of term, it was highly embarrassing :biggrin:
Reply 15
What subjects did you do?
I feel nervous :/
Reply 17
Original post by BR1999

No longer in sixth form but I still remember my first week and this could not be more true 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it's really important to realise how much a subject demands of you and make sure you do your work for that subject, and realise pretty early on if you want to keep that subject or do another one instead.
Don't procrastinate, find that drive to get the work done at a designated time so that it doesn't all pile up.
I guess the most important part is, find it within you to enjoy that subject, and let friendships grow naturally. Don't get too upset if things don't work out, and don't seek a relationship - if one happens, it'll flow naturally.

Quick Reply

Latest