Chinese FL A*
      Music A
      Global Perspectives A*
      Biology A*
      Chemistry A*
      Physics A*
      History A*
      Geography A

I'm sending one off for a re-mark, so maybe they'll mark me up. But as it stands now, are my GCSE's at Oxbridge potential?

Scroll to see replies

For what subject at Oxbridge?
Reply 2
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
For what subject at Oxbridge?

Biology most likely.
Yes of course they are, get at least A*AA at A level and do well in the entry test and interview youll easily do well with those GCSEs
Reply 4
I dont think they care about gcses....
ignore the trolls, they are fine for oxbridge. I believe the average successful applicant has something like that.
Original post by jdizzle12345
ignore the trolls, they are fine for oxbridge. I believe the average successful applicant has something like that.

I wouldn't call that trolling, more just making a sarcastic comment. The grades are clearly excellent and definitely good enough for Oxbridge.
obviously
Reply 8
Yes. 8/9 A*s is the average. With A* A-Levels you'd certainly have a shot.
Original post by Ipsooo
I dont think they care about gcses....

Although they aren't quite as important as A Level predictions and AS scores, they will be very important since AS Levels are being phased out.

There will be many applicants who do not do the "reformed" AS Level and so GCSEs will be a very important indicator as it is the only set of public examinations. Sometimes teachers' predictions, reference, internal exams etc. just are not controlled enough and so you should definitely not discount GCSEs.
Original post by NeverLucky
I wouldn't call that trolling, more just making a sarcastic comment. The grades are clearly excellent and definitely good enough for Oxbridge.

Regardless of what you want to call it, I don't want the OP to get the wrong idea. I know many people went to my school who were needlessly worried if their 8A*'s at GCSEs were good enough for oxbridge since a lot of people got 9/10A*s.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Although they aren't quite as important as A Level predictions and AS scores, they will be very important since AS Levels are being phased out.

There will be many applicants who do not do the "reformed" AS Level and so GCSEs will be a very important indicator as it is the only set of public examinations. Sometimes teachers' predictions, reference, internal exams etc. just are not controlled enough and so you should definitely not discount GCSEs.

I dont know how cambridge works but pretty much all oxford courses are shortlisted from the admissions test where its a simple case of making it above the cut off line... and once you're at the interview gcses personal statements a2 predictions are the last things they would care about
Original post by Ipsooo
I dont know how cambridge works but pretty much all oxford courses are shortlisted from the admissions test where its a simple case of making it above the cut off line... and once you're at the interview gcses personal statements a2 predictions are the last things they would care about

I don't believe that it is how it works. It is true that Admissions tests are used to shortlist candidates down and invite them to the interview. But the application process is not a "hurdle" system where once you get to the interview, that is the only thing that is taken into consideration. Applications are examined "holistically" where the whole application is taken into consideration.
Reply 13
I don't believe that it is how it works. It is true that Admissions tests are used to shortlist candidates down and invite them to the interview. But the application process is not a "hurdle" system where once you get to the interview, that is the only thing that is taken into consideration. Applications are examined "holistically" where the whole application is taken into consideration.

errrmm ask anyone at oxf and they would tell you A2 predictions PS and GCSEs do not matter at the interview stage...though opinions do vary on how much they look at the admissions test after interview

Edit: opinions range from... none... to a bit but no one has said the tests are on par/more important than interviews
(edited 7 years ago)
I got in with 8A*s 3As. There you go
Original post by Ipsooo
errrmm ask anyone at oxf and they would tell you A2 predictions PS and GCSEs do not matter at the interview stage...though opinions do vary on how much they look at the admissions test after interview

So once you get past the "cut-off" point, and get an interview, it is a completely even playing field? Seems VERY unfair to candidates with a good paper application, does it not?

Found this on the PPE (just picked a random course) oxford application page:
1. UCAS ApplicationYou need to apply a year before the start date of PPE by completing the online application form at www.ucas.com. Applications open in early September, and the deadline is 18.00 BST on 15 October every year.2. Admissions TestAll applicants must sit the Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA), normally at their own school or college, in early November. It is your responsibility to register for the test. The registration deadline is normally 18.00 BST on 15 October every year. For the exact test date in the year of your application, along with further information, details of how to register, and a specimen paper, see www.tsaoxford.org.uk.3. InterviewTutors decide which applicants to shortlist for interview, and which applicants to deselect, in late November or early December. Interviews for shortlisted applicants normally take place in early to mid December.4. DecisionsDecisions about offers of places for shortlisted applicants will use the full range of evidence available, including past and predicted exam results, the school report, the personal statement, the TSA admissions test, and the interviews. Shortlisted applicants are told whether or not their application has been successful in early January.
Reply 16
So once you get past the "cut-off" point, and get an interview, it is a completely even playing field? Seems VERY unfair to candidates with a good paper application, does it not?

Found this on the PPE (just picked a random course) oxford application page:
1. UCAS ApplicationYou need to apply a year before the start date of PPE by completing the online application form at www.ucas.com. Applications open in early September, and the deadline is 18.00 BST on 15 October every year.2. Admissions TestAll applicants must sit the Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA), normally at their own school or college, in early November. It is your responsibility to register for the test. The registration deadline is normally 18.00 BST on 15 October every year. For the exact test date in the year of your application, along with further information, details of how to register, and a specimen paper, see www.tsaoxford.org.uk.3. InterviewTutors decide which applicants to shortlist for interview, and which applicants to deselect, in late November or early December. Interviews for shortlisted applicants normally take place in early to mid December.4. DecisionsDecisions about offers of places for shortlisted applicants will use the full range of evidence available, including past and predicted exam results, the school report, the personal statement, the TSA admissions test, and the interviews. Shortlisted applicants are told whether or not their application has been successful in early January.

I don't think its completely even, but it's certainly very heavily skewed towards the interview with some contribution from the admissions test (physics claims to be 50% but no one actually believes that). And yes I do believe this is very unfair but that's just how it appears to be done. They claim they will look at everything but I believe thats for other reasons and in reality it's very different. BUT they certainly would use data from elsewhere to judge if the candidate was for example seriously ill during the interview and couldn't perform.

EDIT: they do care about GCSEs if you just missed the cutoff point but have an exceptional set of GCSEs ie 12+A*s and A2 Predictions, reports etc also they would shortlist from other data if you couldn't take the test due to an emergency or something
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ipsooo
I don't think its completely even, but it's certainly very heavily skewed towards the interview with some contribution from the admissions test (physics claims to be 50% but no one actually believes that). And yes I do believe this is very unfair but that's just how it appears to be done. They claim they will look at everything but I believe thats for other reasons and in reality it's very different. BUT they certainly would use data from elsewhere to judge if the candidate was for example seriously ill during the interview and couldn't perform.

Putting a large emphasis towards the interview is not the same as not caring about the other aspects of the application. In any case, do you have any evidence from an admissions tutor etc. about this? They would be the only people with any real authority to speak about how they give offers. What are you saying is sounding like hearsay at the moment.
Original post by kimg1
I have - 8A*'s and 4A's at iGCSE
     
      English Lang A*
      English Lit A
      Maths A*
      Additional Maths A
      Chinese FL A*
      Music A
      Global Perspectives A*
      Biology A*
      Chemistry A*
      Physics A*
      History A*
      Geography A

I'm sending one off for a re-mark, so maybe they'll mark me up. But as it stands now, are my GCSE's at Oxbridge potential?

Provided you get high enough A-level grades. It depends on other factors too, like your PS.
if you went to a private school probably if you went to a state school definitely! :wink: well it all depends on AS and A2 they make or break it! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending