The Student Room Group

GCSE requirements for Russell Group universities

I've recently just finished my AS exams this summer, achieving an AABB in Economics, English Literature, Maths and Government & Politics respectively, and I have now got to decide the course and universities to apply for in the coming months, but I am unsure of what universities to apply to given my GCSE results.

I've got 14 GCSEs, no A*'s, but 5 A's in Maths, Business Studies, ICT, English Literature and English Language (retaken), 7 B's in Physics, Chemistry, Biology, French, Geography, RE and Statistics, and 2 C's in Citizenship and Human Health & Physiology.

Obviously, Oxbridge and Medicine courses are out of mind, but for an Economics course at maybe a Nottingham, York, Exeter, Edinburgh, Bristol, Manchester etc... how good are my chances, given my AS (and next years A2) results, as well as a good personal statement?
Defo
Well i presume Russel groups wouldn't usually settle for no less than 3 As, minimum. Also, GCSE results would usually be 5A* and rest A, maybe one B
Original post by Dervo
I've recently just finished my AS exams this summer, achieving an AABB in Economics, English Literature, Maths and Government & Politics respectively, and I have now got to decide the course and universities to apply for in the coming months, but I am unsure of what universities to apply to given my GCSE results.

I've got 14 GCSEs, no A*'s, but 5 A's in Maths, Business Studies, ICT, English Literature and English Language (retaken), 7 B's in Physics, Chemistry, Biology, French, Geography, RE and Statistics, and 2 C's in Citizenship and Human Health & Physiology.

Obviously, Oxbridge and Medicine courses are out of mind, but for an Economics course at maybe a Nottingham, York, Exeter, Edinburgh, Bristol, Manchester etc... how good are my chances, given my AS (and next years A2) results, as well as a good personal statement?

You have a perfectly good chance of getting into a good university. Note that while all RG unis are 'good', not all 'good' unis are in the RG, eg Lancaster, Bath, Surrey, St Andrews etc.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
In addition, I can only see myself getting an A overall in A Level maths if i were to resit the C2 module. Would universities look down upon the resit?
Reply 5
Original post by Dervo
In addition, I can only see myself getting an A overall in A Level maths if i were to resit the C2 module. Would universities look down upon the resit?

nope
Reply 6
I emailed Durham a few days ago...

"Although we do consider all applications hollistically, we wouldn’t generally make an offer based on your GCSE results, we would only take your A level results into consideration." (their reply)
If a university (any uni, including Oxbridge and the entire Russell Group) has requirements for GCSEs for a particular course then it will be clearly stated on their website.

If it's not stated on their website, it's not a requirement, and if you meet all stated requirements then it's more than worth you putting in an application. Universities simply do not compile secret lists of entry requirements that they don't publish online and only a few special people know about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending