The Student Room Group

Making the wrong degree choice!

Hi,

I've been studying Primary Education with QTS now for a year (i'm about to go into my second year at uni) and to be honest I do not even want to go back. I realised on my teaching placement in my first year that I absolutely hated it and it was the worst month ever but I just smiled through it.

I talked to my parents about it and they just got angry and pushed me to carry on so I carried on with the course anyway. I start second year in less than a month and I can't express how much I don't want to go back. Problem is, I wouldn't know where to start if I dropped out of uni anyway.

Does anyone else feel the same?
Original post by lucymayy
Hi,

I've been studying Primary Education with QTS now for a year (i'm about to go into my second year at uni) and to be honest I do not even want to go back. I realised on my teaching placement in my first year that I absolutely hated it and it was the worst month ever but I just smiled through it.

I talked to my parents about it and they just got angry and pushed me to carry on so I carried on with the course anyway. I start second year in less than a month and I can't express how much I don't want to go back. Problem is, I wouldn't know where to start if I dropped out of uni anyway.

You might not like what I'm about to say here, but I'm a big believe in seeing things through to the end. Finish this course, you'll gain a very valuable qualification from it at the very least
Original post by lucymayy
Hi,

It's your life, your career, and your debt I presume - your parents have no business telling you what you should or shouldn't do if you're of age.

I've been in a bit of a similar situation and decided to follow my gut instinct - drop out, get a year of work experience, regroup, reapply to a different course. Don't stress about uni running away, it'll still be there next year plus most of my friends I made in year one were 20-24 so don't worry about being "too old" to start over.

You'll never excel in something when your heart isn't in it, and the feeling of having wasted precious time and money on top of having had a bad time is one of the worst.

Just my input - good luck!

Quick Reply