The Student Room Group

really like my ex's best friend and he likes me back, what should I do?

basically they have been best friend's for years but I don't want to destroy their friendship. Me and my ex are good friend's but I've been told he still likes me but I really like his friend and he likes me as I found out when we both had a bit much to drink, some stuff happened and we spoke about it afterwards

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
basically they have been best friend's for years but I don't want to destroy their friendship. Me and my ex are good friend's but I've been told he still likes me but I really like his friend and he likes me as I found out when we both had a bit much to drink, some stuff happened and we spoke about it afterwards

Just get with the guy you like. You can't live your whole life treading around other people's feelings
Reply 2
There are times when you do have to think of other people's feelings and times you don't. A good example of a time you don't is when you go to a job interview and are competing against others, so you don't mind what you do as long as you get the job. This however is an example of an occasion where you definitely should care for someone else's feelings. Do the right thing and leave well alone. Act selfishly and you'll get treated selfishly in return. It's not worth it!
Reply 3
The guy I like is someone who I've liked for a really long time, he's the sweetest most genuine guy I've ever known, what about in the future? like a few months down the line, or should I stay way away?
Reply 4
Original post by Jimmy291
There are times when you do have to think of other people's feelings and times you don't. A good example of a time you don't is when you go to a job interview and are competing against others, so you don't mind what you do as long as you get the job. This however is an example of an occasion where you definitely should care for someone else's feelings. Do the right thing and leave well alone. Act selfishly and you'll get treated selfishly in return. It's not worth it!

The guy I like is someone who I've liked for a really long time, he's the sweetest most genuine guy I've ever known, what about in the future? like a few months down the line, or should I stay way away?
Reply 5
This kind of thing can really destroy someones feelings. It sounds as if your ex may be having a hard time getting over you so he needs his friends right now. If you pry them apart he's going to have a hard time ahead of him. Perhaps put it on hold for a few months and see what happens?
Reply 6
Original post by Jimmy291
This kind of thing can really destroy someones feelings. It sounds as if your ex may be having a hard time getting over you so he needs his friends right now. If you pry them apart he's going to have a hard time ahead of him. Perhaps put it on hold for a few months and see what happens?

Okay I'll leave it a while and hopefully the circumstances will change, thanks for the help:smile:
Reply 7
Selfish act.

There is no such thing as 'the one for me' or 'soulmates' or whatever.

Find someone else. There are people everywhere.
Reply 8
Original post by RooshV
Selfish act.

There is no such thing as 'the one for me' or 'soulmates' or whatever.

Find someone else. There are people everywhere.

It's not that simple though, I'm not going to do anything that will cause them to fall out, but this guy is different to every guy I've ever met...
Reply 9
It's not that simple though, I'm not going to do anything that will cause them to fall out, but this guy is different to every guy I've ever met...

Selfish act. There is not such thing as different
Original post by RooshV
Selfish act. There is not such thing as different

You seem very pessimistic to people actually finding the one person they're meant to be with, it's a very negative tone...
Reply 11
You seem very pessimistic to people actually finding the one person they're meant to be with, it's a very negative tone...

Unless I explicitly say so, what I say is merely advice in conjunction with a well informed opinion.

Do as you wish
Original post by RooshV
Do as you wish

You mean she has your permission now?
Reply 13
Original post by Kendrik Lamar
You mean she has your permission now?

No.

But she has the permission to make her own mistakes
Ye if you still care about your ex's feelings you should wait till he's over you. Could talk to your ex about it tbh.

In my opinion, everything happens for a reason. The fact that this guy is your exs best friend is a reason not to go there. If you were meant to be with this guy, you wouldn't have ended up with his best friend first. Plus, it's always better to start a fresh relationship with no baggage of exs lurking. It would also put their friendship under a lot of pressure, because its basically testing the loyalty between them, which wouldn't be a very good nice thing to do. Take it as a compliment that he sees value in you, but it's probably not a good idea.

BUT the choice is still yours.
Original post by ChickenMadness
Ye if you still care about your ex's feelings you should wait till he's over you. Could talk to your ex about it tbh.

Yeh I was considering talking to him for a while, but he can be quite difficult sometimes, he's the sort of person that will say the complete opposite of how he actually feels
Original post by Courtneyx1x
In my opinion, everything happens for a reason. The fact that this guy is your exs best friend is a reason not to go there. If you were meant to be with this guy, you wouldn't have ended up with his best friend first. Plus, it's always better to start a fresh relationship with no baggage of exs lurking. It would also put their friendship under a lot of pressure, because its basically testing the loyalty between them, which wouldn't be a very good nice thing to do. Take it as a compliment that he sees value in you, but it's probably not a good idea.

BUT the choice is still yours.

but in a few months time, when my ex has moved on would it still be a bad thing to do? like when everything's cleared over
Reply 18
People.

Don't waste your time commenting anymore. OP is desperate for his dick. Look above, what ever you say, she will add a 'but' and make excuses.

It's a lost cause.

NEXT
Original post by RooshV

You don't have to be so harsh:/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending