The Student Room Group

Explain why you put an apostrophe when you mention the word "GCSE(')s"??

I can't believe people are getting A*s in English Language when they don't even know the correct use of an apostrophe. Can the people who put an apostrophe in the word GCSEs please explain why? I think getting A*s is a bit crazy when you make very basic mistakes like this. I am talking about some people that make this error, not everyone. 'GCSE's' is like it belongs to GCSE and it doesn't belong to something. Hopefully a lot of people will start to use it correctly now.

:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Umm... because it looks nicer, and this is TSR rather than a formal setting
Reply 2
Original post by Ezme39
Umm... because it looks nicer, and this is TSR rather than a formal setting

I don't think it looks any nicer and it isn't a matter of being a formal or informal setting. Clearly it takes extra time to add that apostrophe so why do it?
Original post by Kryptonian
I can't believe people are getting A*s in English Language when they don't even know the correct use of an apostrophe. Can the people who put an apostrophe in the word GCSEs please explain why? I think getting A*s is a bit crazy when you make very basic mistakes like this. I am talking about some people that make this error, not everyone. 'GCSE's' is like it belongs to GCSE and it doesn't belong to something. Hopefully a lot of people will start to use it correctly now.

I've seen people write 'A*'s' and 'A's' etc... with apostrophe's too. I guess people are just bad at grammar, especially as its not really taught at school, and certainly not taught at GCSE level (because its expected as a given).

Spoiler

Reply 4
Original post by Kryptonian

Lol I have done that every time I wrote GCSEs.
Some people mistake it for the plural. Tbh I agree I find it incredibly irritating and it's actually rather ironic if you're talking about something academic and then use incorrect grammar...
Reply 6
Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM
I've seen people write 'A*'s' and 'A's' etc... with apostrophe's too. I guess people are just bad at grammar, especially as its not really taught at school, and certainly not taught at GCSE level (because its expected as a given).

Spoiler

With this though, As can look like AS, so A's can be clearer
I only recently stopped putting in an apostrophe whenever I suddenly decided it seemed wrong and I should stop xD. It did seem to suit to put in an apostrophe for some reason because it was an acronym and it felt right, however I am a changed penguin now and it is no longer amongst the plethora of grammatical mistakes I make each time I write.
Who are you to decide whether 'it belongs to GCSE' or not? Let GCSE have some nice things, that dude gave me a college place :wink:
Reply 9
Original post by moggygeorgieee
Who are you to decide whether 'it belongs to GCSE' or not? Let GCSE have some nice things, that dude gave me a college place :wink:

Even after the comma splice? That was generous.

Dude? How dare you assume that GCSE is a male. #2016FeminismTriggered
Eye no, your write.
Original post by Samii123
Dude? How dare you assume that GCSE is a male. #2016FeminismTriggered

'Assume'? My friend he would not be called GCSE, he would be called GCS-she! If he were a girl that is :tongue:
Original post by Camilli
Even after the comma splice? That was generous.

I'm shorry :frown: if this wasnt TSR I would nae do the comma splice sin
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM

I put apostrophes because without the apostrophe on 'B's', it looks like I'm putting an acronym for '********'.
'Assume'? My friend he would not be called GCSE, he would be called GCS-she! If he were a girl that is :tongue:

I guess I assumed that referring to someone as a dude would be assuming that they're male and therefore I assumed that you assumed that GCSE is a male :tongue:
Original post by Samii123
I guess I assumed that referring to someone as a dude would be assuming that they're male and therefore I assumed that you assumed that GCSE is a male :tongue:

Point taken, I suppose I was just referring in the way that one would say 'man' etc. to finish off a sentence :tongue:
Original post by Abstract_Prism
I put apostrophes because without the apostrophe on 'B's', it looks like I'm putting an acronym for '********'.

I work in my Dad's Indian restaurant and when we're packing food for take out we write shortened names of the food onto the container lids. So for biryani sauce, they write a giant BS onto the lid which I just find quite amusing! :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
The apostrophe is added to distinguish the letter 'S' as not being part of the initialism. It has become quite common practice, not just for GSCE's. Have you ever been told to mind your p's and q's? it can also be used for numbers; I teach a lot of year 7's. Language evolves. Many words are losing their hyphens. 'Phone' used to need an apostrophe at the start to indicate that it was a shortened version of 'telephone' but that rarely happens now. Similarly Halloween is now more common that the traditional Hallowe'en.
Original post by Lit teacher
The apostrophe is added to distinguish the letter 'S' as not being part of the initialism. It has become quite common practice, not just for GSCE's. Have you ever been told to mind your p's and q's? it can also be used for numbers; I teach a lot of year 7's. Language evolves. Many words are losing their hyphens. 'Phone' used to need an apostrophe at the start to indicate that it was a shortened version of 'telephone' but that rarely happens now. Similarly Halloween is now more common that the traditional Hallowe'en.

Excellent answer.

Quick Reply

Latest