The Student Room Group

KFC Uniform Cost

My boyfriend started at KFC just over a month ago part time on just over minimum wage (£4 an hour). He had noted all of his hours as well as how much he shouldve been paid and worked out hed been under paid by over £20. He attempted to find out if he had been incorrectly taxed or under paid for a few weeks. Eventually he was told by a friend, not the management, that he had to pay for the uniform (two kfc shirts, non slip safety shoes and two black trousers). He wasnt aware of needing to pay for his uniform as he was never told therefore doesnt know jow much it is overall.

Does anyone know what the cost of the kfc uniform is and if he will get it back?

Apparently the cost comes out in installments so its hard to judge if hes been paid properly!

I think its wrong he should pay for uniform with kfc plastered all over it as it isnt for his personal use.

Thank you, would it come under expenses then? Even though he wasn't aware of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by fxlloutboyy
Thank you, would it come under expenses then? Even though he wasn't aware of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it would.

Did he read his entire contract and any employee manuals he agreed to? It's almost definitely in there.
You don't have to pay for a uniform (as opposed to a dress code) that has logos on it - the employer is obliged to supply it as well as any safety equipment.

Having said that, I would very much doubt that this is a KFC policy. I would be pretty sure this is something that the franchisee has dreamed up.

Unfortunately, there aren't many options. (1) pay it (2) refuse to pay, and get backed up by the ET. This will probably have the side effect of making working life very difficult.

You could try contacting KFC HR direct and getting a letter or email from them and using that against the franchisee - but that's another high risk strategy.

Personally, I would find another job.
(edited 7 years ago)
The contract was extremely short with the basics of what he'd be paid an hour and that he had to complete training. I'll double check with him but it was only one a4 side.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trinculo
You don't have to pay for a uniform (as opposed to a dress code) that has logos on it - the employer is obliged to supply it as well as any safety equipment.

Having said that, I would very much doubt that this is a KFC policy. I would be pretty sure this is something that the franchisee has dreamed up.

Unfortunately, there aren't many options. (1) pay it (2) refuse to pay, and get backed up by the ET. This will probably have the side effect of making working life very difficult.

You could try contacting KFC HR direct and getting a letter or email from them and using that against the franchisee - but that's another high risk strategy.

Personally, I would find another job.

Thank you for your help, I'll mention it to him and look into it further. I did think it would be odd for a chain such as kfc to not offer free logo shirts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
just over minimum wage (£4 an hour)

:lolwut:

that he had to pay for the uniform (two kfc shirts, non slip safety shoes and two black trousers). He wasnt aware of needing to pay for his uniform as he was never told therefore doesnt know jow much it is overall.

Do you live in the UK?
Reply 8
Original post by Josb

Do you live in the UK?

Under 18 minimum wage is under £4 an hour.
You can contact HR, but as said above uts probably the franchisee.

You cna also try getting a tax rebate. Assuming you earn enough to pay tax.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees/uniforms-work-clothing-and-tools
Reply 10
Original post by alow
Under 18 minimum wage is under £4 an hour.

Ah I see, it's not a lot though.
Yeah the minimum wage for under 18s is awful, £3.87 an hour

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for your help, I'll mention it to him and look into it further. I did think it would be odd for a chain such as kfc to not offer free logo shirts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends on how much he likes the job and how willing he is to go to war with his employer over it.

He could refuse to pay, demand his uniform costs back and threaten to go to the head office over it (which is no joke for the franchisee - they have to pay millions for their franchises and don't want trouble) but it's possible that the direct management will just make life hard for him and he'll end up leaving or getting sacked for unrelated reasons. An unfair dismissal suit will probably cost more than the uniform and best case scenario he gets his job back at a place that doesn't want him with management that hate him.
I'm sure he will just pay it and leave it behind him. It's just frustrating since the wage is so low and he wasn't made aware of it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Trinculo
It depends on how much he likes the job and how willing he is to go to war with his employer over it.

He could refuse to pay, demand his uniform costs back and threaten to go to the head office over it (which is no joke for the franchisee - they have to pay millions for their franchises and don't want trouble) but it's possible that the direct management will just make life hard for him and he'll end up leaving or getting sacked for unrelated reasons. An unfair dismissal suit will probably cost more than the uniform and best case scenario he gets his job back at a place that doesn't want him with management that hate him.

If he hasn't been there long (<2 years IIRC) they can sack him for shits and giggles and there's nothing he can do about it.
I'm sure he will just pay it and leave it behind him. It's just frustrating since the wage is so low and he wasn't made aware of it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, it doesn't really matter that he wasn't made aware of it - at the end of the day, it's an unlawful deduction. Not great, but the sort of thing that happens a lot - probably due to the franchisee having bad experience with staff quitting and not giving the uniform back. Someone in management dreamed it up thinking they're very clever, but not realising it was illegal.

Like I said - I would try to find another job, because it doesn't bode well.
Original post by alow
If he hasn't been there long (<2 years IIRC) they can sack him for shits and giggles and there's nothing he can do about it.

Well - there is. He can take it to the ET and say it was over the uniform. The problem is there's no good outcome. If he wins, all he gets is his job back.
They rarely get reinstated but get comepnsation instead.

If they wnat to go ET then its the claim fee £160+ and hearing fee £230 plus they will have to represent themselves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending