The Student Room Group

Help with A-Level subjects

I'm just about to go into the lower sixth and I still haven't quite chosen my three A-Level subjects. I'd like to study law at degree level, preferably at Cambridge. I'm certainly taking History and English Literature at A-Level, but I'm struggling with my third option - it would be one of Maths, French or Geography.

Thanks for any help!

P.S. My GCSE results were:

English Literature. - A*
English Language. - A*
Maths. - A*
Core Science. - A*
Additional Science. - A*
French. - A*
Spanish. - A*
Business. - A
History. - A*
Geography. - A*
Any of those subject combinations would be fine for Law. Which do you enjoy most out of Maths, Geography and French? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Leviathan1741
Any of those subject combinations would be fine for Law. Which do you enjoy most out of Maths, Geography and French? :smile:

I'm not really that sure. I probably found Geography the most difficult of the three (purely because of all of the case studies) and so I'm leaning more towards Maths or French.
Original post by 1barkeb
I'm not really that sure. I probably found Geography the most difficult of the three (purely because of all of the case studies) and so I'm leaning more towards Maths or French.

Perhaps rule out Geography then, as there are A LOT of case studies to learn at A Level! Maths and French are both strong choices, which do you think you could do better in? :smile:
Original post by 1barkeb
x

First off: congrats on the GCSE results. I got a similar set to you, and I'm applying to read law at Oxford next year. My advice on picking maths might be useful to you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18tZswvlLr4&list=PLy5ETTP3287zNzWzoQuiOr795z2YdseEi&index=1
Reply 5
Original post by Jasaron
First off: congrats on the GCSE results. I got a similar set to you, and I'm applying to read law at Oxford next year. My advice on picking maths might be useful to you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18tZswvlLr4&list=PLy5ETTP3287zNzWzoQuiOr795z2YdseEi&index=1

Thanks! I think you've probably helped convince me to take maths. Great video by the way!
Reply 6
Original post by Leviathan1741
Perhaps rule out Geography then, as there are A LOT of case studies to learn at A Level! Maths and French are both strong choices, which do you think you could do better in? :smile:

I think I'd be better at Maths, and if I get stuck, my neighbour is a Maths teacher😉
Reply 7
Original post by theaverage
Languages are a huge step up from GCSE and are extremely time consuming so you'd have to be very dedicated if you chose French.

I'd definitely recommend Maths :smile:
(It is also easier to get good UMS in)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, other people have said that languages have a big step up. I think I'll take maths. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest