The Student Room Group

Accounting and Finance vs Economics

I've recently just finished my AS exams this summer, achieving an AABB in Economics, English Literature, Maths and Government & Politics respectively, and I have now got to decide the course and universities to apply for in the coming months.

I'm interested in working in the finance sector when I'm older, perhaps in Investment Banking or Accountancy, however I am unsure of the course which would be best for me. Realistically, I could maybe get offers for universities such as Exeter, Manchester, Loughborough, etc... for Economics, but for Accounting and Finance, as the grade requirements are often significantly lower, I could potentially get offers from likes of Warwick, Durham, Nottingham, etc...

Taking into consideration, that Investment Banks have specific target universities they recruit from, and that working in IB when I am older may be something I would like to do, which course would best help me get into that field, or in fact the finance field as a whole? Economics is arguably a more traditional and more preferred subject, and so would A&F be looked down upon?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Princepieman
Why are you asking us? Choose whichever one you want, not like it'll make any difference to your 'prospects'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course it will make a difference; economics, a more desired course, at a more targtted uni, or a&f, less desired, at a less targeted (if targeted at all) uni.

I've seen the same thing in hundreds of different threads, that course doesn't matter for IB, but it has to have some impact, surely?

Also, 'prospects'? if that's your way of saying I have none, then that's pretty rude.
Original post by Dervo
Of course it will make a difference; economics, a more desired course, at a more targtted uni, or a&f, less desired, at a less targeted (if targeted at all) uni.

I've seen the same thing in hundreds of different threads, that course doesn't matter for IB, but it has to have some impact, surely?

Also, 'prospects'? if that's your way of saying I have none, then that's pretty rude.

Ugh, just choose a degree and stop freaking out. It's actually the most simple decision you'll make in your life, and you are over-thinking it.

And no, it really doesn't. Why is that so hard to understand?

Lol, presume what you want, I just said 'prospects' because it's a word people on here love to use when your actual prospects are more about you and your experience, than what your degree says.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Ugh, just choose a degree and stop freaking out. It's actually the most simple decision you'll make in your life, and you are over-thinking it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, I guess you're right, but I'm not the only the one freaking out, and I can bet that the decision was not so easy when it came to you making this decision a couple years back! Thank you anyway.
@Princepieman You're pretty rude and offhand for someone who is part of the TSR Support Team, whatever that is
Original post by Dervo
Haha, I guess you're right, but I'm not the only the one freaking out, and I can bet that the decision was not so easy when it came to you making this decision a couple years back! Thank you anyway.

I looked up data for each of my courses, weighed pros and cons (interest wise), analysed the competition level of each, compared and contrasted universities based on their modules/location/ECs available, called up current students for opinions and asked the admissions teams some Qs.. Then narrowed down the courses/unis based on which ones I liked most, not which ones I thought would give banks a hard on the most.

So basically, overthinking can be ok but not in the way you're doing it atm.

And really, between A&F and Econ it's pretty much down to which you want to learn more of - A&F will help you theory wise for interviews if you choose to go down the IBD route, but apart from that, neither is 'favoured' nor 'looked down on'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dervo
I've recently just finished my AS exams this summer, achieving an AABB in Economics, English Literature, Maths and Government & Politics respectively, and I have now got to decide the course and universities to apply for in the coming months.

I'm interested in working in the finance sector when I'm older, perhaps in Investment Banking or Accountancy, however I am unsure of the course which would be best for me. Realistically, I could maybe get offers for universities such as Exeter, Manchester, Loughborough, etc... for Economics, but for Accounting and Finance, as the grade requirements are often significantly lower, I could potentially get offers from likes of Warwick, Durham, Nottingham, etc...

Taking into consideration, that Investment Banks have specific target universities they recruit from, and that working in IB when I am older may be something I would like to do, which course would best help me get into that field, or in fact the finance field as a whole? Economics is arguably a more traditional and more preferred subject, and so would A&F be looked down upon?

Im in the same gondola as you :smile: I feel like it would be harder to get onto the Economics courses at higher ranked unis and easier for A&F but I have no clue. I'm going to ask my sixth form rep for advice as she has 2 children who is a Chartered Accountant and the other is Trader.
Reply 7
Original post by Dervo

Exeter do Economics and Finance, could have a look into that.
Let's be honest, no one respects an A&F degree, it's on a par with Business Management.
Original post by BabyLadDarren
Let's be honest, no one respects an A&F degree, it's on a par with Business Management.

Who doesn't respect those degrees?

Guess I should call my buddies up at Lazard, GS and JPM in IBD and tell them their degree is dogshit then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ze Witcher
Who doesn't respect those degrees?

Ignore the trolls

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dervo

Economics is as you said a more traditional and preferred subject, usually because it's more broader and academically rigorous as a course. I personally think a degree in Economics is better (I'm going to start my first year of the degree later this month at UCL), as you can go into larger range of careers compared to A&F, you're not only limited to the Finance sector. Investment banks do typically prefer degrees in Economics.

However, you should take into consideration how much you enjoy and are good at Economics since you're going to be doing the degree for 3 years so you need to atleast enjoy it otherwise those 3 years will feel slow and dull and you're less likely to do well in the course as a result. Seeing as you got an A I'm guessing you are quite good at it.

Also economics degrees have alot of mathematical content, so before you decide applying for one ask yourself if you feel competent at maths and enjoy it too.

Seeing that you got AABB at AS I think you could still apply and get into the top unis, such as Warwick, for Economics. But that might also depend on what your predicted grades are, if they're AAA or above then you have a good shot at getting in.
Original post by ajay1998
Economics is as you said a more traditional and preferred subject, usually because it's more broader and academically rigorous as a course. I personally think a degree in Economics is better (I'm going to start my first year of the degree later this month at UCL), as you can go into larger range of careers compared to A&F, you're not only limited to the Finance sector. Investment banks do typically prefer degrees in Economics.

Where did you hear this interesting (incorrect) piece of info?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whats 10% of £5 is as hard as it gets for them.
Guess I should call my buddies up at Lazard, GS and JPM in IBD and tell them their degree is dogshit then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well you could have a degree in French and it wouldn't matter if you're applying for IB, the degree for that is irrelevant but for most other things you degree does matter.
Well you could have a degree in French and it wouldn't matter if you're applying for IB, the degree for that is irrelevant but for most other things you degree does matter.

Examples?
A&F for usefulness in banking/finance

Economics I think however allows for a wider scope of career paths

I thought IB was all about Target uni's? As its harder to get into Econ courses at these unis, and a little bit easier for A&F then wouldn't it be better to do A&F?
Original post by Ze Witcher
I thought IB was all about Target uni's? As its harder to get into Econ courses at these unis, and a little bit easier for A&F then wouldn't it be better to do A&F?

Depends on whether you want to study A&F or not. If you do, yes it would be better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending