The Student Room Group

Poll shows majority of British people support burqa ban

I found this interesting. Not sure where I stand on it. It should obviously be banned in airports and other places where it is absolutely necessary to see people's faces for security reasons, but I worry banning it in all public places could help open the doors to a surveillance culture where people must always have their faces on show. I certainly sympathise with the sentiments behind banning face-covering Islamic veils though. But I think I favour liberty. Politicians and the BBC stopping with the fawning platitudes about Islam would be a better option, as would banning faith schools, which would be the best option.
http://www.euractiv.com/section/uk-europe/news/british-public-heavily-in-favour-of-burqa-ban-poll/

Scroll to see replies

I agree with everything you've written 100%. In principle I would support a ban (definitely in places in need of high security, such as airports or banks) and because it's a symbol of oppression, but at the same time I struggle with the fact that it's breaching basic liberty to wear what you like. Whilst I'm sure many women have no choice in the matter, I'm sure some out there probably do actually choose to wear it (sad, but no less a choice) so it's a difficult one. I think if it came down to it I probably would be in favour of banning it, but tentatively due to these reservations.
Reply 2
Original post by Mathemagicien
Didn't we already have a thread on this topic?

I think that was about Germany.
Despite my aversion to the niqaab, I would oppose banning it.

Original post by Mathemagicien
Didn't we already have a thread on this topic?

Did we?
Reply 4
Its a religious/cultural thing, they aren't covering themselves for fun . Who are you to prevent them from practising their own religion/culture. Britain is a secular country, Islam can't be banned. I honestly don't see how a women wearing a burqa even effects you in anyway. I don't agree with the mob mentality on Muslims and never will.
Original post by Zeus007
Its a religious/cultural thing, they aren't covering themselves for fun . Who are you to prevent them from practising their own religion/culture. Britain is a secular country, Islam can't be banned. I honestly don't see how a women wearing a burqa even effects you in anyway. I don't agree with the mob mentality on Muslims and never will.

I heard that the wearing of a burqa isn't complulsory for Muslims but yeah it shouldn't be banned I don't think but for security purposes and in those areas then I agree with having certain rules that apply to everyone.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Kryptonian
I heard that the wearing of a burqa isn't complulsory for Muslims but yeah it shouldn't be banned I don't think but for security purposes and in those areas then I agree with having certain rules that apply to everyone.

I can totally understand for security reasons in places such as airports. However seeing the news these days and what happened in France where innocent women just wanted to enjoy the beach in a modest way were told to leave because of their "burkini", that's when it starts getting over the top.

Also, i don't know if the burqa is compulsory as i'm not a Muslim so i can't answer that.
Original post by Zeus007

So thirsty for reps. I bet only people who wear those things will rep you, and you knew they would. :rolleyes:

Anyway I support the ban! You can be Muslim without wearing it. And it ties into sexism anyway. Plus it makes me feel very uncomfortable.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
If I were to wear a balaclava around town tomorrow, what kind of reactions would I get? I could say, my religion sees me wearing this; and although it would be my right to do so, it would simultaneously compromise the situation of the people in my vicinity. Compromise their desires to know the faces of the people they may interact with, and compromise their feelings of safety and comfort in their daily lives,
Original post by KingBradly
I found this interesting. Not sure where I stand on it. It should obviously be banned in airports and other places where it is absolutely necessary to see people's faces for security reasons, but I worry banning it in all public places could help open the doors to a surveillance culture where people must always have their faces on show. I certainly sympathise with the sentiments behind banning face-covering Islamic veils though, Islam should not be welcomed in this country. But I think I favour liberty. Politicians and the BBC stopping with the fawning platitudes about Islam would be a better option, as would banning faith schools, which would be the best option.
http://www.euractiv.com/section/uk-europe/news/british-public-heavily-in-favour-of-burqa-ban-poll/

Mate you gotta choose. :s-smilie: And I agree with the un-underlined bit but the underlined bits conflict..
Reply 10
Original post by 0to100
So thirsty for reps. I bet only people who wear those things will rep you, and you knew they would. :rolleyes:

Anyway I support the ban! You can be Muslim without wearing it. And it ties into sexism anyway. Plus it makes me feel very uncomfortable.

Hah i find that funny, i don't even know what those things are as i signed up to this site recently and just share my views on topics, nothing else. You could instead try to refute me but whatever.
@The_Opinion I feel like we need to talk mate lol we disagreed pretty strongly before about me getting on you for saying slurs about migrants but I feel there's some static still left there. Since I supported Brexit. I think I made it clear then that I disagree with Islam, and don't favour the veil thingies but yes I still stand by my thoughts that treating people horribly or saying slurs like they're animals for disagreeing with them is wrong. :yes: but do I want them here? No. Just clarifying cuz you've been supporting my posts about migrants and Brexit. Just wondering if you feel my sentiments conflict...
My problem is that if I walked around in a balaclava I would probably have the police called on me, even in places of non high security

Read what Lisa Duffy had to say.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zeus007
Hah i find that funny, i don't even know what those things are as i signed up to this site recently and just share my views on topics, nothing else. You could instead try to refute me but whatever.

I can't refute an opinion but the second part of my post basically does oppose you anyhow.....?
Reply 14

I fail to see the issue.
No normal person wears a mask or a balaclava to get out of their house, in my opinion of course
Reply 15
Original post by JRKinder
I agree with everything you've written 100%. In principle I would support a ban (definitely in places in need of high security, such as airports or banks) and because it's a symbol of oppression, but at the same time I struggle with the fact that it's breaching basic liberty to wear what you like. Whilst I'm sure many women have no choice in the matter, I'm sure some out there probably do actually choose to wear it (sad, but no less a choice) so it's a difficult one. I think if it came down to it I probably would be in favour of banning it, but tentatively due to these reservations.

Exactly. I think it is necessary to show that Britain does not want nor approve of Islamic culture, except when it is highly progessive (which is rare), and it is important to show that actually we are proud of the things Muslims find shameful about our culture, such as how our women have the freedom and confidence to wear bikinis, or how
we like to drink, or how we enjoy sex openly and without shame; and we must show that most of us are not truly self-loathing and excessively critical of Western society. We must also show that we find Islam and many cultural aspects of Islam to be fairly miserable and not at all respectable nor admirable.

But is banning the burqa a helpful option? If it is, I think I'd support it. But perhaps there are better things we can do. Other than the afore mentioned things, I'm not sure what though. I really thing the most important thing is a cultural shift, where people value the liberalism we enjoy here more, and stand up for it, and don't endlessly criticise it, because I genuinely think it leads Muslims to have less respect for our culture, and that it helps them to justify their religious ideals that conflict with our culture. Case in point: the countless times I've heard Muslims argue why the Islamic veil is great, by saying it is either better than, or even that it counters (I can find the Guardian video if you like), the West's objectification of women.
Reply 16
Face coverings cut people off from interacting with others and so much communication is non verbal. At a bus stop or in a shop for example you would be much less likely to share a few words (eg to laugh at the antics of small children) when you can't even see if someone wearing a burka is smiling. The face covering is a cultural signifier rather than religious and I would support a ban to aid inclusion, but don't know how it could be implemented wisely.
The French burqini ban is wrong and ridiculous though and apart from facial coverings I wouldn't support any other ban.
Reply 17
Original post by IYGB
I fail to see the issue.
No normal person wears a mask or a balaclava to get out of their house, in my opinion of course

Yeh, but what about for fancy dress etc? It's a small thing in a way, but it's also kind of a big thing, because suddenly it stops being a cultural thing, and becomes a survellaince thing.
Reply 18
Original post by 0to100
I can't refute an opinion but the second part of my post basically does oppose you anyhow.....?

Sorry i meant as in you can give your point but saying "it makes me uncomfortable" is the most absurd reason ever. Just because something makes your uncomfortable doesn't mean the laws should change, that's not how life works. No they don't have to wear it but if they choose to wear it then you can't stop them i'm afraid. This is a secular country we don't ban religious clothing and we never will.
Reply 19
Original post by Zeus007

I can totally understand for security reasons in places such as airports. However seeing the news these days and what happened in France where innocent women just wanted to enjoy the beach in a modest way were told to leave because of their "burkini", that's when it starts getting over the top.

You can be modest without wearing a burqa/burkini.

Original post by Zeus007

Also, i don't know if the burqa is compulsory as i'm not a Muslim so i can't answer that.

The burqa isn't mentioned in the Quran.

Quick Reply

Latest