The Student Room Group

MEDICINE - *RESULTS DAY 2016* - Help, I missed my medical school offer!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Mariamjaan
Hi,
Can anyone help me? I want to study medicine but I didn't get good grades in my As level but I really worked hard but the out come was bad.And I am sure my teachers cannot predict very high grades. However my plan is I will not apply for any uni this year for medicine I know they will reject me 16 of October. But when the A level result come out in 2017 and I will call for medicine though out clearing in order to get place. Also I cannot take gap due to some family problems. So my question did any one ( family member or friends) get place though out clearing for 2016? Can anyone give me good advice please,I lost my hope.☹️☹️😒😒

Many thanks.

Please don't make any plans dependent on getting a place for medicine through clearing. Only one university went into clearing for medicine this year with VERY limited spaces.

You would still need to register with UCAS and make an application with your PS etc as normal for clearing.

If you can't get AAA predicted, achieve AAA at A2, take a gap year and apply to medicine.

No gap year would mean having to apply to an alternative course like Biomed.
Hi,
Can anyone help me? I want to study medicine but I didn't get good grades in my As level but I really worked hard but the out come was bad.And I am sure my teachers cannot predict very high grades. However my plan is I will not apply for any uni this year for medicine I know they will reject me 16 of October. But when the A level result come out in 2017 and I will call for medicine though out clearing in order to get place. Also I cannot take gap due to some family problems. So my question did any one ( family member or friends) get place though out clearing for 2016? Can anyone give me good advice please,I lost my hope.☹️☹️😒😒

Many thanks.

The chances of you getting in on results day without applying for medicine? Very low.

Reiterating what everyone above have said - take a gap year, honestly. See how your grades are in the end - hopefully if you get AAA+ you can apply as normal, and if not, resit/ apply for foundation courses. I got in through a waiting list (I was interviewed and missed the cut off by one point), but the chance of it happening is very low - most universities want you to have been interviewed by them previously for you to get in this way to start with, and then that's only if they do have places. This method means you have to apply for 2017 entry, which I'm guessing you'll struggle to do if your school won't give you the predicted grades. St Georges had places through clearing this year but it's the first time that has ever happened for a medical school, so I wouldn't bank on it happening again. Before I got an offer from my uni, I tried calling to no avail, and was 75th on the LiveChat system (the estimated waiting time was 147 minutes!) to talk to them at 8:15am - consider they would probably have opened at 8! The competition for those places would have been extremely high - you'd be better off applying to a larger number of unis for 2018 entry and upping your chances. Gap years can do wonders for your maturity and you can have loads of fun if you plan it well.

If not, you could look at the GEM route, and do a life-science based degree, such as Biomed or Neuroscience.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by snowspiders
Hey there! Don't lose hope just make sure you smash your A2 and go on gap year. Make sure that you do an bunch of work experience and activities in your gap year, perhaps even get a job! And then apply for medicine in 2018, your personal statement will be ace and you will have a lot to talk about in your interview. I'm also planning not to apply this year as my chances are slim(i got ABCC). DONT WORRY YOU'RE NOT ALONE.

Hi,

Thank you so much for your help. I happy because before I though I am alone, I am the only one I got this problem. But you got very good grades, if your teachers predict good grades I think you will get to medicine this year.

Thank you😊😊😊☺️☺️
Original post by AnnekaChan173
The chances of you getting in on results day without applying for medicine? Very low.

Reiterating what everyone above have said - take a gap year, honestly. See how your grades are in the end - hopefully if you get AAA+ you can apply as normal, and if not, resit/ apply for foundation courses. I got in through a waiting list (I was interviewed and missed the cut off by one point), but the chance of it happening is very low - most universities want you to have been interviewed by them previously for you to get in this way to start with, and then that's only if they do have places. This method means you have to apply for 2017 entry, which I'm guessing you'll struggle to do if your school won't give you the predicted grades. St Georges had places through clearing this year but it's the first time that has ever happened for a medical school, so I wouldn't bank on it happening again. Before I got an offer from my uni, I tried calling to no avail, and was 75th on the LiveChat system (the estimated waiting time was 147 minutes!) to talk to them at 8:15am - consider they would probably have opened at 8! The competition for those places would have been extremely high - you'd be better off applying to a larger number of unis for 2018 entry and upping your chances. Gap years can do wonders for your maturity and you can have loads of fun if you plan it well.

If not, you could look at the GEM route, and do a life-science based degree, such as Biomed or Neuroscience.

Thank you so much, yea most students said that there is very low chance through out clearing. The time I got my result I just runned away I didn't want to see anyone including teachers. I will go 5th Sep to talk to them about my predict grades. I will work hard to get 3As, I hope. If I do Biomed but I have to complete that degree and then apply for medicine am I right? And Biomed is it ( biomedical science) or different course?

Thank you
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you so much, yea most students said that there is very low chance through out clearing. The time I got my result I just runned away I didn't want to see anyone including teachers. I will go 5th Sep to talk to them about my predict grades. I will work hard to get 3As, I hope. If I do Biomed but I have to complete that degree and then apply for medicine am I right? And Biomed is it ( biomedical science) or different course?

Thank you

Yes, you would apply as a graduate following another degree. However, this is expensive and time consuming (and even more competitive!)
It doesn't have to be biomedical science; I know people who have done this with neuroscience and chemistry.
Taking a gap year, if possible, is a much better option! You can use it to prepare for medical school
Reply 105

Thank you

As an alternative to what was said above I did biomed, and starting med this september, i missed the grades by 1 and I didn't want to resit and compromise my applications to med schools, but dont let 2 more years throw you off. Just stay motivated if you want it, you'll get it
Original post by Kiorde
As an alternative to what was said above I did biomed, and starting med this september, i missed the grades by 1 and I didn't want to resit and compromise my applications to med schools, but dont let 2 more years throw you off. Just stay motivated if you want it, you'll get it

Did you study Biomed for three years or one year? Most students said that you have finish that degree and then apply medicine. May be I will apply Biomedical science, and then apply medicine!
Reply 107
Did you study Biomed for three years or one year? Most students said that you have finish that degree and then apply medicine. May be I will apply Biomedical science, and then apply medicine!

finished the 3 years, dropping out of uni wont help your application to uk med schools at all. if you want to go abroad after 1 year thats different.
Original post by Kiorde
finished the 3 years, dropping out of uni wont help your application to uk med schools at all. if you want to go abroad after 1 year thats different.

Ok thank you, I will also do 3 years biomedical and then apply med. but it will take long time (3+5= 8 years) :angry::frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending