The Student Room Group

Year 13 Maths Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DarkEnergy
No problem, cheers for looking anyways. Reckon this will be alright? link

With amazon I usually scroll down to the product reviews first.. and they look alright.
Reply 461
I tried that aforementioned STEP question (it's STEP I 2014 Q4) and my 'solution' to the first part currently contains an unjustified statement.

An accurate clock has an hour hand of length aa and a minute hand of length bb (where b>ab>a), both measured from the pivot at the center of the clock face. Let xx be the distance between the ends of the hands when the angle between the hands is θ\theta, where 0θ<π0\leq\theta<\pi.

Show that the rate of increase of xx is greatest when x=(ba)12x=(b-a)^{\frac{1}{2}}.

The locus of points touched by the hour hand is the circle C1C_1 with radius aa and the locus of points touched by the minute hand is the circle C2C_2 with radius bb. The center of the two circles is OO

Let us hold the minute hand fixed at a certain point BB and vary θ\theta from 0{0} to π\pi.

Let AA be the point the hour hand is currently at. A diagram can show that the maximum rate of increase of xx occurs when the line joining A to B is a tangent to C1C_1 so that AOB is a right angled triangle, and by Pythagoras' theorem, x=(b2a2)12x=(b^2-a^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}.

I think I'm just restating the question in a different form right now, but don't leave me any hints at the moment as I'm trying to work out a breakthrough in the coming days. I will leave this up here in case I'm still stuck after a while.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Palette
I tried that aforementioned STEP question (it's STEP I 2014 Q4) and my 'solution' to the first part currently contains an unjustified statement.

An accurate clock has an hour hand of length aa and a minute hand of length bb (where b>ab>a), both measured from the pivot at the center of the clock face. Let xx be the distance between the ends of the hands when the angle between the hands is θ\theta, where 0θ<π0\leq\theta<\pi.

Show that the rate of increase of xx is greatest when x=(ba)12x=(b-a)^{\frac{1}{2}}.

The locus of points touched by the hour hand is the circle C1C_1 with radius aa and the locus of points touched by the minute hand is the circle C2C_2 with radius bb. The center of the two circles is OO

Let us hold the minute hand fixed at a certain point BB and vary θ\theta from 0{0} to π\pi.

Let AA be the point the hour hand is currently at. A diagram can show that the maximum rate of increase of xx occurs when the line joining A to B is a tangent to C1C_1 so that AOB is a right angled triangle, and by Pythagoras' theorem, x=(b2a2)12x=(b^2-a^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}.

I think I'm just restating the question in a different form right now, but don't leave me any hints at the moment as I'm trying to work out a breakthrough in the coming days. I will leave this up here in case I'm still stuck after a while.

Hint below if you come back later and need one

Spoiler

Reply 463
Original post by ValerieKR
Hint below if you come back later and need one

Spoiler

I tried the cosine rule and then used implicit differentiation countless times before and it just leads to dead ends (or I get something which resembles a second order differential equation but 1) second order ODEs aren't in the C1-C4 syllabus 2) it's not actually a second order ODE)...

x2=a2+b22abcosθx^2=a^2+b^2-2ab\cos\theta.

I'll try another approach after the many failed implicit differentiation attempts: just substituting
x=(ba)12x=(b-a)^{\frac{1}{2}} and see what happens.
If x=(ba)12x=(b-a)^{\frac{1}{2}} then of course b2a2=a2+b22abcosθb^2-a^2= a^2+b^2-2ab\cos\theta
so 2a2=2abcosθ-2a^2=-2ab\cos\theta so a=bcosθa=b\cos\theta which doesn't particularly help either aside from the fact that the triangle formed is a right angled triangle and the line connecting the minute and hour hands is a tangent to the circle.

But I have yet to prove why the rate of increase of xx is greatest when this happens which is something I have to figure out...

I can gladly type up the second (much easier) half of the question for marking.

P.S. I know this should go in the STEP prep thread but I am a bit of a wimp. I hope that I'll improve at STEP over the coming months after practice.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Palette
I tried the cosine rule and then used implicit differentiation countless times before and it just leads to dead ends (or I get something which resembles a second order differential equation but 1) second order ODEs aren't in the C1-C4 syllabus 2) it's not actually a second order ODE)...

x2=a2+b22abcosθx^2=a^2+b^2-2ab\cos\theta.

I'll try another approach after the many failed implicit differentiation attempts: just substituting
x=(ba)12x=(b-a)^{\frac{1}{2}} and see what happens.
If x=(ba)12x=(b-a)^{\frac{1}{2}} then of course b2a2=a2+b22abcosθb^2-a^2= a^2+b^2-2ab\cos\theta
so 2a2=2abcosθ-2a^2=-2ab\cos\theta so a=bcosθa=b\cos\theta which doesn't particularly help either aside from the fact that the triangle formed is a right angled triangle and the line connecting the minute and hour hands is a tangent to the circle.

But I have yet to prove why the rate of increase of xx is greatest when this happens which is something I have to figure out...

I can gladly type up the second (much easier) half of the question for marking.

P.S. I know this should go in the STEP prep thread but I am a bit of a wimp. I hope that I'll improve at STEP over the coming months after practice.

You can avoid differential equations by using simultaneous equations - I've got a line by line solution in the spoiler tab if you're really really stuck at a specific point

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Palette
I tried the cosine rule....

Spoiler

Im stuck on a coordinate geometry Q! !

"The diagram shows a rectangle (all sides are 90 degree) ABCD. The point A is (2,14), B is (-2,8) and C lies on the x-axis. Find (i) The equation of BC (ii) the coordinates of C and D"

I have done (i) and its correct the answer is y=-2/3+20/3 and ive found the coordinates of C for (ii) which are C(10,0) but ive got no clue for coordinates of D.
Original post by Coolsul98
Im stuck on a coordinate geometry Q! !

"The diagram shows a rectangle (all sides are 90 degree) ABCD. The point A is (2,14), B is (-2,8) and C lies on the x-axis. Find (i) The equation of BC (ii) the coordinates of C and D"

I have done (i) and its correct the answer is y=-2/3+20/3 and ive found the coordinates of C for (ii) which are C(10,0) but ive got no clue for coordinates of D.

The line BD is perpendicular to AC and passes through both B and D

also mod(BD) = mod(AC)
(mod being the length of the line segment)

You can use those three things to work it out.

OR
you could just use vectors and say coordinates of D = co-ordinates of C + (B-A)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 468
x

Are you Zacken's sibling :biggrin:?

Starting with the cosine rule:
x2=a2+b22abcosθx^2=a^2+b^2-2ab\cos\theta
Implicitly differentiating both sides:

2xdxdθ=2absinθ2x\frac{dx}{d\theta}=2ab\sin \theta

Implicitly differentiating again (the greatest rate of increase happens when d2xdθ2=0\frac{d^2x}{d{\theta}^2}=0:

[tex\displaystyle]2x\frac{d^2x}{d{\theta}^2}+2(dxdθ)2+2(\frac{dx}{d\theta})^{2}

=2abcosθ=2ab\cos \theta

Let us cancel the 2:
[tex\displaystyle]x\frac{d^2x}{d{\theta}^2}+(dxdθ)2+(\frac{dx}{d\theta})^{2}=abcosθ=ab\cos \theta.

Let d2xdθ2=0\frac{d^2x}{d{\theta}^2}=0:

(dxdθ)2(\frac{dx}{d\theta})^{2}=abcosθ=ab\cos \theta.

Substituting
dxdθ=absinθx\frac{dx}{d\theta}=\frac{ab\sin \theta}{x}:

(a2b2sin2θx2)(\frac{a^2b^2{\sin}^2\theta}{x^2})=abcosθ=ab\cos \theta.

Cancelling abab:

(absin2θx2)(\frac{ab{\sin}^2\theta}{x^2})=cosθ=\cos \theta.

(ab(1cos2θ)x2)(\frac{ab(1-{\cos}^2\theta)}{x^2})=cosθ=\cos \theta.

Am I on the right track so far?
Original post by Palette
Are you Zacken's sibling :biggrin:?

Starting with the cosine rule:
x2=a2+b22abcosθx^2=a^2+b^2-2ab\cos\theta
Implicitly differentiating both sides:

2xdxdθ=2absinθ2x\frac{dx}{d\theta}=2ab\sin \theta

Implicitly differentiating again (the greatest rate of increase happens when d2xdθ2=0\frac{d^2x}{d{\theta}^2}=0:

[tex\displaystyle]2x\frac{d^2x}{d{\theta}^2}
+2(dxdθ)2+2(\frac{dx}{d\theta})^{2}

=2abcosθ=2ab\cos \theta

Let us cancel the 2:
[tex\displaystyle]x\frac{d^2x}{d{\theta}^2}+(dxdθ)2+(\frac{dx}{d\theta})^{2}=abcosθ=ab\cos \theta.

Let d2xdθ2=0\frac{d^2x}{d{\theta}^2}=0:

(dxdθ)2(\frac{dx}{d\theta})^{2}=abcosθ=ab\cos \theta.

Substituting
dxdθ=absinθx\frac{dx}{d\theta}=\frac{ab\sin \theta}{x}:

(a2b2sin2θx2)(\frac{a^2b^2{\sin}^2\theta}{x^2})=abcosθ=ab\cos \theta.

Cancelling abab:

(absin2θx2)(\frac{ab{\sin}^2\theta}{x^2})=cosθ=\cos \theta.

(ab(1cos2θ)x2)(\frac{ab(1-{\cos}^2\theta)}{x^2})=cosθ=\cos \theta.

Am I on the right track so far?

Zacken is Cinderella and I am his ugly sister

Jeez sorry I didn't realise the spoiler thing shrunk my maths

You are - next step is in the spoiler if you need it and I will amend the format of that last spoiler tag

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
How do you leave a line inside the spoiler?
Reply 471
I now know why I kept messing up my implicit differentiation-it was a stupid mistake which I somehow repeated each and every time at the same stage. Usually xx is the letter used for the independent variable but here it is the letter used for the dependent variable so when I differentiated 2xdxdθ2x\frac{dx}{d\theta}, I ended up with a wrong expression.
The universities I'm applying to don't require STEP but apparently STEP is a good preparation for a maths degree.As I see x2x^2 I'm guessing the next stage involves the use of our original expression involving x2x^2 from the cosine rule or we can exploit the derived equation from the cosine rule cosθ=x2a2b22ab\cos \theta=\frac{x^2-a^2-b^2}{2ab}, though the latter seems too messy. Will therefore try the former:Starting off from before:

(ab(1cos2θ)x2)=cosθ(\frac{ab(1-{\cos}^2\theta)}{x^2})=\cos\theta
Rearranging:(ab(1cos2θ)cosθ)=x2(\frac{ab(1-{\cos}^2\theta)}{\cos\theta})=x^2
Exploiting the cosine rule at the start: x2=a2+b22abcosθx^2=a^2+b^2-2ab\cos\theta

Let's see if we can get a quadratic in terms of cosθ\cos\theta:
We're getting close!
(ab(1cos2θ)cosθ)=a2+b22abcosθ(\frac{ab(1-{\cos}^2\theta)}{\cos\theta})=a^2+b^2-2ab\cos\theta

Multiplying by cosθ\cos\theta:
ababcos2θ=a2cosθ+b2cosθ2abcos2θab-ab{\cos}^2\theta=a^2\cos\theta+b^2\cos\theta-2ab{\cos}^2\theta

We're getting closer...

Rearranging gives us:abcos2θ(a2+b2)cosθ+ab=0ab{\cos}^2\theta-(a^2+b^2)\cos\theta+ab=0

And by means of the quadratic formula:a2+b2±a4+b2+2a2b24a2b22ab\frac{a^2+b^2 \pm \sqrt{a^4+b^2+2a^2b^2-4a^2b^2}}{2ab}=a2+b2±(a2b2)2ab=\frac{a^2+b^2 \pm (a^2-b^2)}{2ab}. Our values in terms of θ\theta are b2ab\frac{b^2}{ab} and a2ab\frac{a^2}{ab} and when these values are inserted into the cosine rule, we get x2=a2+b22a2=b2a2x^2=a^2+b^2-2a^2=b^2-a^2 and x2=a2+b22b2x^2=a^2+b^2-2b^2. As b>ab>a and x2>0x^2>0, only the former equation makes sense. So x=(b2a2)12x=(b^2-a^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}.J'ai fini.I extend a MASSIVE thank you for your help!
(edited 7 years ago)
What resources can i use to revise and selfteach s3
Original post by youreanutter
What resources can i use to revise and selfteach s3

Just do all textbook questions and solve any C3 paper you can find
Original post by Palette
I now know why I kept messing up my implicit differentiation-it was a stupid mistake which I somehow repeated each and every time at the same stage. Usually xx is the letter used for the independent variable but here it is the letter used for the dependent variable so when I differentiated 2xdxdθ2x\frac{dx}{d\theta}, I ended up with a wrong expression.
The universities I'm applying to don't require STEP but apparently STEP is a good preparation for a maths degree.As I see x2x^2 I'm guessing the next stage involves the use of our original expression involving x2x^2 from the cosine rule or we can exploit the derived equation from the cosine rule cosθ=x2a2b22ab\cos \theta=\frac{x^2-a^2-b^2}{2ab}, though the latter seems too messy. Will therefore try the former:Starting off from before:

(ab(1cos2θ)x2)=cosθ(\frac{ab(1-{\cos}^2\theta)}{x^2})=\cos\theta
Rearranging:(ab(1cos2θ)cosθ)=x2(\frac{ab(1-{\cos}^2\theta)}{\cos\theta})=x^2
Exploiting the cosine rule at the start: x2=a2+b22abcosθx^2=a^2+b^2-2ab\cos\theta

Let's see if we can get a quadratic in terms of cosθ\cos\theta:
We're getting close!
(ab(1cos2θ)cosθ)=a2+b22abcosθ(\frac{ab(1-{\cos}^2\theta)}{\cos\theta})=a^2+b^2-2ab\cos\theta

Multiplying by cosθ\cos\theta:
ababcos2θ=a2cosθ+b2cosθ2abcos2θab-ab{\cos}^2\theta=a^2\cos\theta+b^2\cos\theta-2ab{\cos}^2\theta

We're getting closer...

Rearranging gives us:abcos2θ(a2+b2)cosθ+ab=0ab{\cos}^2\theta-(a^2+b^2)\cos\theta+ab=0

And by means of the quadratic formula:
Unparseable latex formula:

\frac{a^2+b^2 \pm \sqrt{a^4+b^2a^b^2-4a^2b^2}}{2ab}

=a2+b2±(a2b2)2ab=\frac{a^2+b^2 \pm (a^2-b^2)}{2ab}. Our values in terms of θ\theta are b2ab\frac{b^2}{ab} and a2ab\frac{a^2}{ab} and when these values are inserted into the cosine rule, we get x2=a2+b22a2=b2a2x^2=a^2+b^2-2a^2=b^2-a^2 and x2=a2+b22b2x^2=a^2+b^2-2b^2. As b>ab>a and x2>0x^2>0, only the former equation makes sense. So x=(b2a2)12x=(b^2-a^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}.J'ai fini.

Great!
That's an interesting way to do that final bit ^.^
You've spent the first few lines turning a cos quadratic... into another (sort of identical) cos quadratic and then solving that second one :s
Slightly quicker to solve the first quadratic (abcos^2(y) + x^2cos(y) - ab = 0), but your way does work (I think)!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 475
Great!
That's an interesting way to do that final bit ^.^
Slightly quicker to solve the quadratic for cos(y) (abcos^2(y) + x^2cos(y) - ab = 0) then set it equal to what the cosine rules gives, but your way does work!

:smile:

I find this question rather long by the standards of the STEP I questions I've done. It's still going to be a while until I am brave enough to join the STEP Prep thread though. I might try STEP I Q5 or Q6 2014 and then move on to some 1990s STEP I questions.
Original post by Palette

I find this question rather long by the standards of the STEP I questions I've done. It's still going to be a while until I am brave enough to join the STEP Prep thread though. I might try STEP I Q5 or Q6 2014 and then move on to some 1990s STEP I questions.

I think the length is because there's only one 'easy' way to approach it and once you've realised what it is it's mostly algebra
Just make sure you keep track of which ones you do! In the last few weeks I was scouring up and down all the papers for what must have summed to hours looking for ones I hadn't done
Original post by dugdugdug
I've not done school level maths for many years but do have query with regard to the notation.

Suppose f is a function of x, then the first differential is written f'. The second diff is written f'' or f(ii).

So shouldn't the sixth diff be written f(vi)?

I've always seen f^6(x) - never seen your roman numeral version
I've always seen f^6(x) - never seen your roman numeral version

As I said, it is a long time ago I did maths.

Original post by Palette

Yeah I would try easier questions first if I were you. Paper 1 2007 seems to be quite easy (relative).

Quick Reply

Latest