The Student Room Group

Should I get a Unidays card or a NUS card?

Not sure what to get, finished first year of uni and havent used any of these cards but now that my Spotify premium offer has ended (3 months for 99p), im thinking of getting the student discount.

However, I can only get it through NUS or Uni days. Which one is better?
I've had student discounts from just showing my normal uni student card and have never been required to show a NUS or Unidays card. So I'm just wondering, which one is better? are they even useful? which one is cheaper?

Scroll to see replies

Would also like to know this :smile:
Reply 2
UNIDAYS is free to sign up with online, whereas NUS is £11(? I might be wrong on that though). When I had my NUS card, I never really used it - although I know you can get 10% off in Co-Op Food stores. You used to be able to get a free McDonalds burger/chips with a meal if you had an NUS card (although my McDonalds at college would accept our cards anyway).

With UNIDAYS, I think you probably get more discounts online? I'm not bothering with buying another NUS card.
Reply 3
NUS discounts has never really bothered me when it comes to McDonalds. You get a free cheeseburger/chickenburger/mcflurry with any meal if you show them your uni card anyway.And Uni days is free? if thats the case, looks like I'll be getting that
Reply 4
Can Confirm, NUS is free to sign up, just became a member. Need to be a university student first though (for all you soon to be freshers looking to get it now, wait till you've registered properly to your university portal account, then you can register).
Reply 5
Original post by Bustamove
NUS discounts has never really bothered me when it comes to McDonalds. You get a free cheeseburger/chickenburger/mcflurry with any meal if you show them your uni card anyway.And Uni days is free? if thats the case, looks like I'll be getting that

Yep! You sign up online, and obviously, you need an app on your phone if you want to use it in-store (you also have to upload a picture of yourself), but I think there's slightly more discounts online? Then again, most places accept uni cards anyway!

But I would definitely recommend UNIDAYS; I never used my NUS card and it was just a waste of money. I'm sure an NUS card only lasts a year, whereas UNIDAYS doesn't expire until your course does :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by ellsy95
Yep! You sign up online, and obviously, you need an app on your phone if you want to use it in-store (you also have to upload a picture of yourself), but I think there's slightly more discounts online? Then again, most places accept uni cards anyway!

But I would definitely recommend UNIDAYS; I never used my NUS card and it was just a waste of money. I'm sure an NUS card only lasts a year, whereas UNIDAYS doesn't expire until your course does :smile:

Thanks, I was just about to go NUS before I made this post. Luckily I'm too lazy to do the research my self and rely on TSR. Did not expect Unidays to be free haha
Reply 7
Can Confirm, NUS is free to sign up, just became a member. Need to be a university student first though (for all you soon to be freshers looking to get it now, wait till you've registered properly to your university portal account, then you can register).

Oh, is it? My bad, it's been a while since I bought one so maybe they changed it!
Reply 8
Original post by ellsy95
Oh, is it? My bad, it's been a while since I bought one so maybe they changed it!

Well I've signed up for free so far, havent purchased anything yet. Ever since my Spotify premium offer expired, I've been charged a tenner each month without knowing that my 3 months had ended. Tbh, I don't think I'm gonna use it for anything else other than spotify student premium.

I'll keep you all updated if I do make a purchase using Unidays discounts to see if its really free.
Reply 9
Well I've signed up for free so far, havent purchased anything yet. Ever since my Spotify premium offer expired, I've been charged a tenner each month without knowing that my 3 months had ended. Tbh, I don't think I'm gonna use it for anything else other than spotify student premium.

I'll keep you all updated if I do make a purchase using Unidays discounts to see if its really free.

Ah! Yeah, I've literally been waiting for my enrolment e-mail so I can get UNIDAYS again so I can get Spotify Premium for £4.99 - it's so nice to pay half price finally! But it is free; I promise. You don't need to enter any card details or anything!
Reply 10
Original post by ellsy95
Ah! Yeah, I've literally been waiting for my enrolment e-mail so I can get UNIDAYS again so I can get Spotify Premium for £4.99 - it's so nice to pay half price finally! But it is free; I promise. You don't need to enter any card details or anything!

Ah Cheers! :smile:
I still feel like a fiver a month is still quite expensive, or maybe I'm just not studenting properly haha
Reply 11
Ah Cheers! :smile:
I still feel like a fiver a month is still quite expensive, or maybe I'm just not studenting properly haha

After paying £10 for the past year, £5 is pretty cheap. It also depends on how often you're using it - I pretty much use Spotify every day, so I think it's worth it :smile: (especially since I HATED the adverts when I had Spotify Free... and I hated how I could never use it 'offline')
Reply 12

NUS cards cost 12 pounds per year last time I checked!
To be really honest, I'd recommend both - I got my NUS card for £33 for three years and Unidays is free to sign up online.

I'd say Unidays is better for online shopping/offers, I personally haven't used it much as I don't really shop online that often.
I know I've already got the money I paid for my NUS card back in discounts in only one year out of three so far. I particularly use it in places like Superdrug and Co-op, and it gave me free membership to my gym (I don't know if Unidays does that too or not). I know certain cinemas and some restaurants as well as other places that only accept NUS cards and not student cards which can be annoying sometimes so I think it can be worthwhile to get one,
Original post by Megan.G.98

Here's my referral link:
myunidays.com/r/AZVfAsorvvE

I've seen about ten people trying to get those referral bonuses today. You all seem more desperate than those weirdos who whip their student IDs out in McDonalds to get a free burger- as if it isn't cheap enough.
Original post by Davalla
I've seen about ten people trying to get those referral bonuses today. You all seem more desperate than those weirdos who whip their student IDs out in McDonalds to get a free burger- as if it isn't cheap enough.

Really don't see what's wrong or weird about getting something for free and helping others to get things for free as well????
No need to be so rude
Original post by Megan.G.98
Really don't see what's wrong or weird about getting something for free and helping others to get things for free as well????
No need to be so rude

You will get reported for spam if you spam the referral code but contribute little to the forums.
Original post by Student189
myunidays.com/r/
Hey guys if you could sign up with this link that would be much appreciated
You get 30 percent off and i get rewards too
Thanks

Referral links are against the TSR rules.
You can have both.

Unidays is free but only for college/uni students as they require your college/uni email to approve the account. You get quite a lot of discounts including the ones where you only need to show your uni card, so it saves you having to carry your card around whenever you go shopping. They will have some deals every now and then like 20% at a shop online only etc. Some shops will also only accept your Unidays ID for a discount and not your uni card.

As for NUS, I've heard it's pointless to get them as majority of the discounts you can get with your card/unidays.
Original post by rea.lily200
Hiya, sorry this isn't a question/asnwer as such but I would like to notify you of this opportunity to make money with Unidays. Basically, for each friend you refer, you earn a fixed amount of money, but I have reached my limit money for the year so anyone who now uses my link to sign up will receive £10. If you would like to take advantage of this opportunity, sign up here - myunidays.com/r/C2T_vPcPxg4 Good luck, hope you can make the most out of it :smile:

You're not allowed to post referral links on tsr

Quick Reply

Latest