The Student Room Group

Why do people want a "high 2:1"?

Scroll to see replies

So happy that I don't have to worry about getting a first etc when it comes to Medicine
Reply 21
Original post by Just a Bloke
I know that for top universities a high 2:1 is the prerequisite for postgraduate courses.

Yeah this is true - Oxford says that on their website as well as some LSE courses
Reply 22
Original post by Pinkberry_y
So happy that I don't have to worry about getting a first etc when it comes to Medicine

Woah you got into medicine *vitual high five*
Original post by rolaah
Woah you got into medicine *vitual high five*

Hi5 :bl::bl:
Original post by GoingToBurst
I understand why people want to aim for a first or a 2:1 (I'm aiming for a first myself, so I totally get it), but why do people say they want a "high 2:1"? What difference does it make? Your degree certificate will say you got a 2:1, it won't say if your 2:1 was any higher than anyone else's or " so and so got a high 2:1, but they were close to a first so that's cool."

If you're aiming for a high 2:1, is it just a personal goal or do you actually think it makes a difference? Also, if you're aiming for a high 2:1, why aren't you aiming for a first? (that wasn't supposed to sound rude, but I just don't really understand why anyone would want to aim for a high 2:1 but not high enough for a first?)

And yes, I'm aware of how much of a dick this post makes me sound.

For law firms, it can make a hell of a lot of difference where your 2:1 is and how consistent your 2:1 is. I.e. someone with a high 2:1 and v small standard deviations in module grades is better than someone with a lower 2:1 with some 2:2s/thirds and some firsts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by Pinkberry_y

Still think we should still aim for a 2.1 ish mark :smile: Tbh I don't get why its not classified, then again it last for 5 years :/
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by GoingToBurst
I understand why people want to aim for a first or a 2:1 (I'm aiming for a first myself, so I totally get it), but why do people say they want a "high 2:1"? What difference does it make? Your degree certificate will say you got a 2:1, it won't say if your 2:1 was any higher than anyone else's or " so and so got a high 2:1, but they were close to a first so that's cool."

If you're aiming for a high 2:1, is it just a personal goal or do you actually think it makes a difference? Also, if you're aiming for a high 2:1, why aren't you aiming for a first? (that wasn't supposed to sound rude, but I just don't really understand why anyone would want to aim for a high 2:1 but not high enough for a first?)

And yes, I'm aware of how much of a dick this post makes me sound.

Saying that you're aiming for a first sounds very uncool... this is the reason not many people say it. also reduces the amount of face lost if they miss out on what they were really aiming for.

you may also notice people saying they've done no work on their dissertation when you know they're sweating it all hours.

tbh probably disregard anything your fellow students say about what they're aiming for, how difficult they find the material and how much work they're doing cos it's all lies :yep:
Original post by Joinedup
Saying that you're aiming for a first sounds very uncool... this is the reason not many people say it. also reduces the amount of face lost if they miss out on what they were really aiming for.

you may also notice people saying they've done no work on their dissertation when you know they're sweating it all hours.

tbh probably disregard anything your fellow students say about what they're aiming for, how difficult they find the material and how much work they're doing cos it's all lies :yep:

Aha, there's my problem, I couldn't give a **** if aiming for a first makes me "uncool". I gave up on wanting to be cool when I was around 11, now I just want to achieve my goals.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending