The Student Room Group

Will I have a chance to do Medicine in Cambridge with these GCSEs?

I'll save you the typical 'It's always been a dream of mine', but I have a feeling my dream is gonna get crushed :frown:
I go to a fairly crap school (pass rate is around 30-40%) and I got 5A*s, 5As and a few Bs. It's abysmal for Cambridge and they'll probably laugh in my face. Advice?
Reply 1
They're fine. They will compensate for the schools underperformance and therefore favour your results more highly.
And, just to note, it really does not matter one bit what university you go to for medicine. Not a slither.
They'll take your school's performance in comparison to your area average and the UK average.
You did exceptionally well if you got those grades going to a school like yours, so I wouldn't worry too much.
I remember a student got in with only 1 A* at GCSE. I guess he worked hard on his AS/A Levels and UCAS Application.
Yes. Just work hard to achieve really good grades at A level.
Original post by FeyreRhys
I'll save you the typical 'It's always been a dream of mine', but I have a feeling my dream is gonna get crushed :frown:
I go to a fairly crap school (pass rate is around 30-40%) and I got 5A*s, 5As and a few Bs. It's abysmal for Cambridge and they'll probably laugh in my face. Advice?

Hey there,

Cambridge won't laugh in your face! They aren't as GCSE heavy as other Medical Schools. Make sure you ace your AS/A levels and get a great UCAS application and you'll be in for a good chance.

Plus, your GCSEs are good!

On the Medicine entrance requirements page for Cambridge, it says:

"Students wanting to study Medicine must have achieved:
- grade C or above in GCSE (or equivalent) Double Award Science and Mathematics
- two single awards in GCSE Biology and Physics may be substituted for Double Award Science"

On the general entrance requirements page for Cambridge, it says:

"- Cambridge does not require a minimum number of A* grades at GCSE...

Our research shows that post-16 examination performance is a much better predictor of degree success at Cambridge. While GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, this is within the context of the school/college performance and strong performance in Years 12 and 13 can make up for a less stellar performance at GCSE."

So, as you can see from above you have a chance! Good luck with it all!

The Medic Portal
Reply 6
Original post by HarrisonGCSE
They're fine. They will compensate for the schools underperformance and therefore favour your results more highly.
And, just to note, it really does not matter one bit what university you go to for medicine. Not a slither.

Thank you for replying firstly, and I know, but I've just always wanted to go there. Sigh.

Original post by Sarah1778
They'll take your school's performance in comparison to your area average and the UK average.
You did exceptionally well if you got those grades going to a school like yours, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Oh okay, thank you so much. I thought that too but I bet there's gonna be so many people with way more A*s so that's why I'm worried.

Original post by L-Lawliet
I remember a student got in with only 1 A* at GCSE. I guess he worked hard on his AS/A Levels and UCAS Application.

Really? What course did he do? Are you a Cambridge student, if you don't mind me asking?

Original post by A-LJLB
Yes. Just work hard to achieve really good grades at A level.

Thank you and I will try really hard :smile:

Original post by The Medic Portal
Hey there,

Cambridge won't laugh in your face! They aren't as GCSE heavy as other Medical Schools. Make sure you ace your AS/A levels and get a great UCAS application and you'll be in for a good chance.

Plus, your GCSEs are good!

On the Medicine entrance requirements page for Cambridge, it says:

"Students wanting to study Medicine must have achieved:
- grade C or above in GCSE (or equivalent) Double Award Science and Mathematics
- two single awards in GCSE Biology and Physics may be substituted for Double Award Science"

On the general entrance requirements page for Cambridge, it says:

"- Cambridge does not require a minimum number of A* grades at GCSE...

Our research shows that post-16 examination performance is a much better predictor of degree success at Cambridge. While GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, this is within the context of the school/college performance and strong performance in Years 12 and 13 can make up for a less stellar performance at GCSE."

So, as you can see from above you have a chance! Good luck with it all!

The Medic Portal

I want to hug you all thank you guys haha, I really appreciate it :h:
But by a good UCAS application, do you mean lots of extracurriculars and well written? Or are there other things too?
Original post by FeyreRhys
... I want to hug you all thank you guys haha, I really appreciate it :h:
But by a good UCAS application, do you mean lots of extracurriculars and well written? Or are there other things too?

Good morning :smile:

Pretty much - by good UCAS, make sure you get good AS/A2 levels, have good extra curriculars, a great reference, a great personal statement etc!

The Medic Portal
Reply 8
Yes, you have a good chance if the rest of your application is good.

Matt I just ask, though, do you want to go to Cambridge for the prestige, or for the course?
If it's the former, I'd reevaluate your reasoning for wanting to apply there.
If it's the latter, then best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending