The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by apple20822
What did you get at (I)GCSE? 9 A* and 1 E (compulsory home language due to government I'm an international student)
What A levels will you be studying? Maths, History, Geography and Economics
What course will you be applying for? Economics and Management
What extra-curricular activities do you do? Captain of netball team, Interned during the summer at a top banking firm and got selected by a NGO to participate in an international program, DOE bronze+silver, Nepal earthquake reliefAny colleges you're interested in? And why? Don't have a specific one but would like to go to a college with good/large roomsWhy Oxford and not Cambridge? Less maths and I preferred its campus when I went to visit :P

How bad do u guys think the E will impact my chances?? :/

What was the E in? I don't assume it will be too bad, as long as you do well in your A levels, admissions test etc. The 9A*s should compensate, coz that's pretty good!
Original post by kennethdcharles
What was the E in? I don't assume it will be too bad, as long as you do well in your A levels, admissions test etc. The 9A*s should compensate, coz that's pretty good!

It was for Thai first language I can barely speak it much less write it but due to the Thai government and my schools policy I was forced to do it :frown: overall I'm pretty happy with my grade though :smile:
Reply 62
Original post by apple20822
It was for Thai first language I can barely speak it much less write it but due to the Thai government and my schools policy I was forced to do it :frown: overall I'm pretty happy with my grade though :smile:

Yeah I don't think it will be a big deal, though you should still clarify with someone more experienced 😊
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 63
Is anyone thinking about going to the open day on the 16th? I think I'm going to but it's quite difficult because I live in Northern Ireland so I'd need a flight and accommodation :frown:. I think my dad is willing to take me though but he has to see if he can get time off work.
Original post by T0ucan
Is anyone thinking about going to the open day on the 16th? I think I'm going to but it's quite difficult because I live in Northern Ireland so I'd need a flight and accommodation :frown:. I think my dad is willing to take me though but he has to see if he can get time off work.

I'm going too but my main issue is narrowing down the colleges to visit because 14 offer Computer Science and I realistically can probably only visit 4 or 5 as I need to visit the CompSci facilities too :smile:
Reply 65
Original post by T0ucan

Many colleges provide accommodation for open days, try looking for information on this as it'll be cheaper, but if you're applying for 2018 entry is there any benefit to going now over the June open days next year which will have more people from your application cycle?
Reply 66
Original post by Lau14
Many colleges provide accommodation for open days, try looking for information on this as it'll be cheaper, but if you're applying for 2018 entry is there any benefit to going now over the June open days next year which will have more people from your application cycle?

Thanks for that tip I'll definitely have a look! I want to go now rather than June because it will help me to decide if I actually want to go for this and try and make it to Oxford. If this is the case I can start putting the work in sooner rather than later (reading round the subject etc) and would spend time properly researching how to make a competitive application. If I decide Oxford isn't for me, I can direct my time and energy elsewhere such as my running. :smile:
Original post by T0ucan

Are Oxford the only university to have an open day so early in the year? Do they just have one open day in the whole year?

Also, I know Cambridge has a masterclass thing, do you know if Oxford do something similar?
Original post by Ishan_2000
Are Oxford the only university to have an open day so early in the year? Do they just have one open day in the whole year?

Also, I know Cambridge has a masterclass thing, do you know if Oxford do something similar?

There are open days at the end of June I think, but I'm not too sure about the masterclasses. What are you planning to apply for? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69

I think quite a few unis are hosting open days this Autumn for the year 13s as they are applying soon. Oxford and Cambridge will have open days in June/July for mainly our year.
Reply 70

Oxford have one open day in September and two in June, which is similar to most UK unis (some open days just before applications in September/October, and some after exams in AS year). I don't know about masterclasses as such, but Oxford do run summer schools.
I think quite a few unis are hosting open days this Autumn for the year 13s as they are applying soon. Oxford and Cambridge will have open days in June/July for mainly our year.

Will year 12s be able to go to the open day on the 16th or is it targeted only for year 13s? Thanks :smile:
Reply 72
Original post by some-student
Will year 12s be able to go to the open day on the 16th or is it targeted only for year 13s? Thanks :smile:

Yes, we are able to go. It is obviously targeted at year 13s since they make their applications very soon, however they will not discriminate against year 12s or even younger years. The ones which will be directly targeted towards us will be in June/July and September next year :smile:
Yes, we are able to go. It is obviously targeted at year 13s since they make their applications very soon, however they will not discriminate against year 12s or even younger years. The ones which will be directly targeted towards us will be in June/July and September next year :smile:

Thanks very much - I was worried for a while that we couldn't go and my parents had already booked train tickets. I decided to go to this one because I will have less pressure later on :smile:

How would I narrow down colleges to visit on the open day? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 74
Thanks very much - I was worried for a while that we couldn't go and my parents had already booked train tickets. I decided to go to this one because I will have less pressure later on :smile:

How would I narrow down colleges to visit on the open day? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries!

When I eventually go I'm going to make a list of the factors which is like my college to have, for example, I'd narrow down the colleges to the ones which offer accommodation for the whole course, are a moderate distance from my department (physics) so that I can explore Oxford whilst still not traveling a crazy distance to get to lectures, have nice scenery, have extra curriculars eg rowing, have a fair amount of people doing my course etc... By the time you get all the factors you want, you will have probably narrowed down to a maximum of 8,probably less. Then at the open day you just visit them and see which one seems more like home. I also suggest you look at SimonOxfPhys, JamoeMills and Jake Wright's videos on YouTube on Oxbridge. Even if they you don't do their course (Simon - Physics Jamie PPE and Jake Computer Science) they do have a lot of good information for Oxbridge applicants as a whole!
(edited 7 years ago)
No worries!

When I eventually go I'm going to make a list of the factors which is like my college to have, for example, I'd narrow down the colleges to the ones which offer accommodation for the whole course, are a moderate distance from my department (physics) so that I can explore Oxford whilst still not traveling a crazy distance to get to lectures, have nice scenery, have extra curriculars eg rowing, have a fair amount of people doing my course etc... By the time you get all the factors you want, you will have probably narrowed down to a maximum of 8,probably less. Then at the open day you just visit them and see which one seems more like home. I also suggest you look at SimonOxfPhys, JamoeMills and Jake Wright's videos on YouTube on Oxbridge. Even if they you don't do their course (Simon - Physics Jamie PPE and Jake Computer Science) they do have a lot of good information for Oxbridge applicants as a whole!

Ok thanks very much - I have been looking at a few of those factors but this has been really helpful as I wouldn't have previously considered all of these :smile:

I am in fact probably applying for Computer Science so I will check out Jake's channel :smile:
There are open days at the end of June I think, but I'm not too sure about the masterclasses. What are you planning to apply for? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't finalised what I definitely want to do at university, but I have narrowed it down to Chemistry or Physics at Oxford, or Chemical Engineering or NatSci at Cambridge. What about you? :smile:
I haven't finalised what I definitely want to do at university, but I have narrowed it down to Chemistry or Physics at Oxford, or Chemical Engineering or NatSci at Cambridge. What about you? :smile:

Probably Computer Science, although I need to check the Maths + Computer Science joint degree too just in case that may be more ideal :smile:
Good luck to everyone for starting your A-levels :smile:
Reply 79
Good luck to everyone for starting your A-levels :smile:

Good luck to you too! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending