The Student Room Group

Any mums here a student of access to nursing or nursing degree

Calling all mums that are embarking on or have already started an access to nursing or nursing degree.

I'm nervous about maths. I'm not good at it ..yet!

I have 3 children aged 8,2 & 11months. I really hope I will be able to have enough time to study. How do you mums find getting study time?

What is the Access course like?

What is children's or learning disability nursing like?
Original post by CometA
Calling all mums that are embarking on or have already started an access to nursing or nursing degree.

I'm nervous about maths. I'm not good at it ..yet!

I have 3 children aged 8,2 & 11months. I really hope I will be able to have enough time to study. How do you mums find getting study time?

What is the Access course like?

What is children's or learning disability nursing like?

You will find more information about Access courses in the Mature Students forum. Pretty sure there are some mums in there too. :smile:
Reply 2
I am scared to start, single mum with 3 young kids.....
I'm not a mum but I have just completed an Access to HE Nursing diploma. I did the course part time and I would say that you need to allocated yourself a minimum of 2 full days studying per week (if not more). It is hard work, you need to be really dedicated, but a brilliant insight into what it will be like to study at university.
If you do get a place at university, you will need to plan childcare. When you are on your placements you will need to work 12 hour shifts, working nights and weekends.
You will need to take numeracy tests at the first stage of your application for all universities. Have you looked at sample papers? This one for Southbank University is a good example of what they are like. Southbank do not allow calculators, other universities do
http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0017/43811/sample-numeracy-paper-2014.pdf
Reply 4
Hi I did the Access course whilst I was pregnant so was easy as I had loads of time on my hands but I actually found the access course pretty easy as long as you start assignments and essays right away so you have time to keep going back to it. I'm just about to start uni now with a 1 year old so not sure that will be nearly as easy! 🤔 X

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending