The Student Room Group

Personal Statement- Don't know where to start

I am planning to apply to:
Harper Adams University for Veterinary Physiotherapy, Veterinary Nursing with Rehabilitation and Animal Health and Welfare
Writtle College University for Veterinary Physiotherapy
SRUC for Applied Animal Sciences

and I have no clue where to start in writing my Personal Statement. Any tips?
Reply 1
Original post by KhaleesiStorm
I am planning to apply to:
Harper Adams University for Veterinary Physiotherapy, Veterinary Nursing with Rehabilitation and Animal Health and Welfare
Writtle College University for Veterinary Physiotherapy
SRUC for Applied Animal Sciences

and I have no clue where to start in writing my Personal Statement. Any tips?

Why you want to do the course?
We've been given a heap of powerpoints to help us and stuff and I have an idea of what I want to write in it. But its what my first sentence will be that I am struggling with.
We've been given a heap of powerpoints to help us and stuff and I have an idea of what I want to write in it. But its what my first sentence will be that I am struggling with.

Just start. Just state: "I am applying to this course because..."

Generally here's a good outline:

Paragraph one: main reason course appeals to you (note: the course itself, not the career you want to go into. State what the course offers you that you like)
Paragraph two: second reason course appeals to you (in this you can mention your career goals and how the course can help you towards that career)
Paragraph three: how your A-Levels relate to the course (I picked one of my a levels and stated one topic we'd covered which could be useful for the course I was applying to)
Paragraph four: Relevant work experience for this course (if you don't have this just state that you're planning to get some at X place. If you can't get work experience cause places are too far or whatever reason, say this anyway and if you have an interview and they ask, say you have some sorted 'over the summer')
Paragraph five: Why you want to go into this career (note: different to paragraph two. Paragraph two was why the specific course would help towards the career. This paragraph is just about what you want to do after university)

End with: 'I feel as though this course on X could help me towards these plans for my future and I look forward to ...'

Hope this helps xx this isn't a specific outline to follow btw, my personal statement wasn't anything like this (mostly because I had a lot of work experience so just kept talking about that, you might be in the same boat or all your a levels may be applicable) this is just a rough thing that might help you just start it off somewhere xx

Good luck!

The first sentence was one of the last I wrote for my PS. If you're struggling with it do the rest and you'll probably have a better idea of what to put because you've been thinking about it more.
Check out my blog on personal statements:
https://thenextchemist.wordpress.com/2016/09/02/what-to-write-in-your-personal-statement/#more-224

And my emails on there so you'll be able to email me a draft of your personal statement :smile:
I'll proof read it and edit minor bits and tell you how to improve on it

Good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Focus on writing the rest first, or do a really boring first sentence to start you off as a place holder

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending