The Student Room Group

Is A-Level Maths a lot harder then GCSE Maths?

if it is how hard I achieved an A at GCSE Maths am I good enough for A-Level

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OmarAl

Yes its quite a bit harder. Yes you will be fine. I got an A at GCSE Maths and got an A at A-level Maths (was only a few marks off an A*).
Reply 2
Original post by Fas
Yes its quite a bit harder. Yes you will be fine. I got an A at GCSE Maths and got an A at A-level Maths (was only a few marks off an A*).

Thanks that gives me more confidence :smile:
Reply 3
It's not that A level is ridiculously hard as many people who are trying to make you worry claim, it's that GCSE is very basic and doesn't prepare someone for A level anywhere near as well as it should.
It's much harder, but if you put in the effort you'll be fine. Maths is the most popular A-level subject so it's not like you'll be the only one confused.

Here's an AS-level maths question just to scare you a bit :smile:
a level maths isnt very hard, its about knowing the method and stuff and with past papers you should be fine, obviously if your aiming for the A*, much more effort is required.

But bear in mind gcse maths is common sense in comparison to a level maths, its the minimum basis. So an A means you are capable of attaining a B/A at a level with hard work of course, and maybe even come close to the A* if you work really hard.

Anything is possible, just work hard and be motivated to succeed

Original post by OmarAl
Original post by OmarAl

This video might help you out. Don't listen to people trying to scare you - if you're the right student for the course, it's less challenging and more fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18tZ...YdseEi&index=1
Original post by Jasaron
This video might help you out. Don't listen to people trying to scare you - if you're the right student for the course, it's less challenging and more fun.

How hard is A2, because I've just finished AS?
Reply 8
Original post by Jasaron

Are you taking maths to A2?
Original post by Rajive
Are you taking maths to A2?

Yup. Did well at AS.
Original post by Ze Witcher
How hard is A2, because I've just finished AS?
I'm in exactly the same position as you, so I can't give much of an insight. I've gone through C3, and it's significantly harder than C2, but I'm sure it'd be manageable especially if you got the A at AS.
(edited 7 years ago)
I scraped an A at GCSE then got 90% UMS in AS maths. I found AS maths easier tbh idk y. Just use examsolutions and past papers. Maths is an easy A at AS.
GCSE to AS isn't that difficult at all, A2 is a bit more of a jump but it's only really a couple of topics that are hard. Most of A Level maths is really straightforward as long as you do past papers. As for the person who posted the questions above, OP, don't let that worry you because you get taught the method to solve those types of things and it's very easy, just memory really.
Original post by Callum323
It's much harder, but if you put in the effort you'll be fine. Maths is the most popular A-level subject so it's not like you'll be the only one confused.

Here's an AS-level maths question just to scare you a bit :smile:

SMH. Binomials and logs are extremely simple - I finished IGCSE this year and I can do them. Why not some calculus m8?

OP, A Level Maths isn't really difficult, you just have to know rules for C1-4 and apply what you know to foreign situations for M1-2 and S1-2. Practice is necessary, but if you set your mind to it you can do it.

P.s., here are the answers for those questions :wink: Next round pl0x.

image.jpg
Attachment not found
Reply 13
Is it harder? Yes, but it is very much doable. I got an A at GCSE and I got an A for my maths AS result 2 weeks ago. Just dont slack off and hope you're ok with whatever work you have done, keep going to the end, ask questions (if you need to), do as many past papers as you can (they are probably the most important thing), and you should get a good grade.
Reply 14
Original post by Enigmatically
SMH. Binomials and logs are extremely simple - I finished IGCSE this year and I can do them. Why not some calculus m8?

OP, A Level Maths isn't really difficult, you just have to know rules for C1-4 and apply what you know to foreign situations for M1-2 and S1-2. Practice is necessary, but if you set your mind to it you can do it.

P.s., here are the answers for those questions :wink: Next round pl0x.

image.jpg
Attachment not found

Solve 2cos(θ2)=cosθ 2\cos \left ( \frac{\theta }{2} \right ) = \cos \theta .
all relative to how much work you put in, even further maths A level is very doable if you are decent at maths and are willing to try hard.
For frame of reference, I got an A in GCSE maths (no work at all) a B in AS maths (not enough work) and an A* in overall A level maths (right amount of work). I think anyone can do it if they put the work in :smile:
am now doing some further maths units in my gap year, they are interesting but not necessarily harder than normal maths
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
A level? EXTREMELY HARDER. AS level? Half (C1) is a walk in the park, just the A and A* stuff from GCSE and C2 is a relative introduction to A2 but at an easier level so compared to GCSE it's quite new but not much harder. A2 however, well just have a look at any past paper and be the judge.
Original post by zayn008
A level? EXTREMELY HARDER. AS level? Half (C1) is a walk in the park, just the A and A* stuff from GCSE and C2 is a relative introduction to A2 but at an easier level so compared to GCSE it's quite new but not much harder. A2 however, well just have a look at any past paper and be the judge.

why are you saying that? if people put in the work, they can get the results - you are talking to someone who has just finished their GCSE's, so telling them to look at a C3/C4 paper is a surefire way to put them off many, many people do A level maths and it's not particularly harder than any other subject imo (easier than chemistry for example).
Original post by Jasaron
Yup. Did well at AS.
I'm in exactly the same position as you, so I can't give much of an insight. I've gone through C3, and it's significantly harder than C2, but I'm sure it'd be manageable especially if you got the A at AS.

A2 is a much bigger jump. C4 for me was the main killer. The reason that I lost the A* was because of C4 (got an A* on C3 but one mark off an A in C4)

Just requires the a higher level of practice through the textbook and then past papers. And extra stuff, like solomon papers are very useful, depending on how good you are at the stuff.
Reply 19
Original post by k.russell
why are you saying that? if people put in the work, they can get the results - you are talking to someone who has just finished their GCSE's, so telling them to look at a C3/C4 paper is a surefire way to put them off many, many people do A level maths and it's not particularly harder than any other subject imo (easier than chemistry for example).

Well maybe you see it different to me, I just say that because when I looked at a c3/c4 paper it made me enjoy what I was doing in C1 and C2, of course if you prepare for it you can do it and the course is built to build on GCSE as you do in C1 then you build on those in C2 and onto A2, the difficultly of A2 compared to GCSE is a lot, compared to AS it isn't that bad, it's the next step. Perhaps I did make it seem a little more challenging than it is. After doing AS you'll natraully want something harder, looking at A2 papers last year also made me quite excited.

Quick Reply

Latest