The Student Room Group

Why is it ok to ban nudism but not the burkini?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SuperHuman98
Alright fine I dont mind being childish if that means I dont want to see random nude people of all ages when im walking downthe street. I dont mind nudity on TV because i could change channel.

And you could look the other way too. Unless everyone's naked, which I seriously doubt will happen in your life time due to the social stigma attached to nudity (especially in public), you are more than capable of looking in another direction.
You might see, what, less than 5 dicks a day? And a handful of boobs and vags (which you have, in case you hadn't noticed. Unless they've got some blue waffle **** going on, it's really not the end of the world if you see someone elses' flaps).

Your predilection for childish/ being offended is no reason to limit our behaviour.

This is probably a dumb question, but if nature intended us to be walking around nude why dont we have thick fur? Isnt it too cold in winter to be walking around nude?

We were born naked weren't we? Evolutionarily speaking, we're perfectly adapted to surviving in a temperate climate.

However, humanity chose to migrate to colder countries. That's nothing to do with nature. And we used our intellect to craft materials that would keep us at optimum temperature in these colder climates (the intellect which presumably comes around as a result of evolution, the clothing is basic survival with a dash of common sense).
Reply 121
i'm a week late, but i'll just put this here.
Reply 122
Nudism isn't banned! "The Sexual Offences Act (2003) states that exposure (and hence public nudity) is only a crime if a person's genitals are exposed and they intend for someone to see them and to be caused alarm and distress." "Nudity, by itself, cannot be considered a breach of the peace."

Source: http://www.govyou.co.uk/public-nudity/

Nudity isn't illegal. A burkini, or Burqa, or any other piece of religious clothing shouldn't be either. Unless of course it is purposefully offensive and is categorised as hate-speech, then by all means censor it. But religious-connotations is not reason enough.
Since most Brits are not religious anymore there is no justification for banning nudism. What happened to freedom of choice.
Original post by slade p
Since most Brits are not religious anymore there is no justification for banning nudism. What happened to freedom of choice.

Source? I'm pretty sure the majority of brits are still religious
Original post by Arima
i'm a week late, but i'll just put this here.

Well, they aren't scuba diving are they? No one walks around in a scuba suit all day on the beach as normality.
Original post by neon_reaper
Source? I'm pretty sure the majority of brits are still religious

Lmao most Brits are religious?

Is that a joke, it's obvious most Brits are a bunch of atheist.
Original post by slade p
Lmao most Brits are religious?

Is that a joke, it's obvious most Brits are a bunch of atheist.

From the 2011 census only 25.7% of people said they were not religious, and it's highly doubtful that within 5 years that could have grown to over 50%.
Reply 128
Original post by CrazySkittles
Well, they aren't scuba diving are they? No one walks around in a scuba suit all day on the beach as normality.

But it's weird if someone wears leggings and a long sleeve shirt and a headcap? wanting to cover up when you're on a beach isn't uncommon. the point is, if someone were to wear a scuba suit on a beach, they wouldn't be demanded to take it off in favour of a more revealing bikini. they wouldn't make one ""uncomfortable"".
Sick of hearing about Muslims now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arima
But it's weird if someone wears leggings and a long sleeve shirt and a headcap? wanting to cover up when you're on a beach isn't uncommon. the point is, if someone were to wear a scuba suit on a beach, they wouldn't be demanded to take it off in favour of a more revealing bikini. they wouldn't make one ""uncomfortable"".

Well, If you've been watching the news recently, you'd see there was an attack in Nice near the beach. Now over 2/3 of people in France have voted a ban on it. Reason? Simply because they are traumatized. Right now there's a divide in France after so much that have happened in just a year so yeah, wearing a burkini would make one uncomfortable especially if you're French and you live there. In addition to this in France, you are viewed as being French first, then your religious group comes after this. As it stands, the Republicans are in house now so, the French law goes first even before religious laws therefore you need to comply as secularism is first. If two thirds of the country wants to ban it, then its overruled.
Watch that video with Nicolas Sarkozy, reminder France is Republic not democratic.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/30/why-should-france-accept-the-burkini-its-time-to-debate-integrat/
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 131
Well, If you've been watching the news recently, you'd see there was an attack in Nice near the beach. Now over 2/3 of people in France have voted a ban on it. Reason? Simply because they are traumatized. Right now there's a divide in France after so much that have happened in just a year so yeah, wearing a burkini would make one uncomfortable especially if you're French and you live there. In addition to this in France, you are viewed as being French first, then your religious group comes after this. As it stands, the Republicans are in house now so, the French law goes first even before religious laws therefore you need to comply as secularism is first. If two thirds of the country wants to ban it, then its overruled.
Watch that video with Nicolas Sarkozy, reminder France is Republic not democratic.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/30/why-should-france-accept-the-burkini-its-time-to-debate-integrat/

I don't blame the french for being scared. at this time it would be appropriate to not wear religious symbols such as a hijab (it's against french law anyway as far as i know) or a burqa/niqab. but still, i find the claims that the burkini is a "symbol of allegiance to ISIS/islamic extremism" is a bit far fetched. Sure, i get why a burqa or niqab in the streets might make one uncomfortable, but at a beach, covering up for the sake of modesty rather than religion alone shouldn't be something linked to terrorist organisations such as ISIS. And yes, modesty is a thing that does exist out of Islam, for example for people who simply aren't confident with their bodies be it a self esteem thing or if they have scars on their bodies, or if they don't want to be sexualised at the beach.

I do agree that enforcing the ban could be somewhat justifiable. I get that french muslims have duties as french citizens that comes before duties as a muslim, and the absence of the hijab doesn't hinder them from practising their religion. but the only thing i don't agree with is how one might link coverings to extremism, and it's at that point i think the fear is less rational. i don't buy the "saving them from oppression" excuses, but it can't be helped. france is in a tough spot and being a muslim there is the worst thing one could be right now.
Reply 132

Why?
Original post by The Sexathlete
Nudism should not be a banned and neither should the burkini.

The one caveat I would add however is that public transport companies should be allowed to ban nude passengers on the grounds of hygiene.

But what if they wanted to ban people in a burqa/burkini for security reasons?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 134
would you rather see a fat or hairy woman walking around naked or fully covered?

theres your answer
Reply 135
Original post by Another
Because in the history of the entire world, it was only the Victorians who covered their private parts?

Nobody wants to see your vagina/penis in public, ever. It's not offensive, just gross.

The burkini was solely banned because of "its affiliations with ISIS" and "France is a secular country". Not because of misogyny, patriarchy, or anything else.

Should be banned
Nudity isn't banned or illegal, which is right.
Because random passers-by did not consent to seeing your naked body in a public space. A burkini is no different to simply being fully clothed at the beach, with the benefit that the wearer can still go in the water. It's also not largely different from wearing a wetsuit at the beach, with the exception that it is less revealing - which regardless of religious views, some women may feel more comfortable wearing less revealing swimwear at the beach due to e.g. not feeling confident in their body shape or size.

Nudism isn't a solution to this either, as there is no reason a woman should be required to wear something more revealing if she wouldn't feel comfortable doing so, even without societal pressures about body image. In fact there is no reason to prescribe what a woman does or doesn't wear (or a man, but given the long history of misogynstic control of womens bodies by men, the former is more immediately relevant).

Going to a nudist beach or similar that is private, and separate from the main public area and not going to have random people who may not WANT to see your body hanging out being exposed to that is perfectly acceptable. But it is really the most insufferable conceit to suggest that someone being forced to view your naked body against their wishes is their fault, and not yours.

Really the comprehension of consent on this website, both from sexual (rape, obviously) to completely non-sexual situations (such as the nudism issue above), is appallingly low.
Original post by artful_lounger
Really the comprehension of consent on this website, both from sexual (rape, obviously) to completely non-sexual situations (such as the nudism issue above), is appallingly low.

^This is the main point I believe :sadnod:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by artful_lounger
Because random passers-by did not consent to seeing your naked body in a public space. A burkini is no different to simply being fully clothed at the beach, with the benefit that the wearer can still go in the water. It's also not largely different from wearing a wetsuit at the beach, with the exception that it is less revealing - which regardless of religious views, some women may feel more comfortable wearing less revealing swimwear at the beach due to e.g. not feeling confident in their body shape or size.

Nudism isn't a solution to this either, as there is no reason a woman should be required to wear something more revealing if she wouldn't feel comfortable doing so, even without societal pressures about body image. In fact there is no reason to prescribe what a woman does or doesn't wear (or a man, but given the long history of misogynstic control of womens bodies by men, the former is more immediately relevant).

Going to a nudist beach or similar that is private, and separate from the main public area and not going to have random people who may not WANT to see your body hanging out being exposed to that is perfectly acceptable. But it is really the most insufferable conceit to suggest that someone being forced to view your naked body against their wishes is their fault, and not yours.

If individuals pipe up about other people being nude in public then they're spineless toe-sucking melodramatic clowns with nothing else better to do.

Quick Reply

Latest