The Student Room Group

What is college like?

I'm either going to a grammar school or a college for sixth form. I have not yet decided on which one I shall go to.

I do fancy a bit of a change from my normal school surroundings and I would also like to meet new people. So this is why I am considering college.

What is college like? Is it more exciting than a sixth form at a school? Is the class work more independent?

Also, I have picked Psychology as an A-level option...what is psychology like?
Is it quite sciency? (I'm not got at Science. I got 2 Bs for Biology and Physics and a below C grade in Chemistry). Is it a lot of work? And is it difficult? Also, is it less work than GCSE Art?

Any replies would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Original post by cookie123456789
I'm either going to a grammar school or a college for sixth form. I have not yet decided on which one I shall go to.

I do fancy a bit of a change from my normal school surroundings and I would also like to meet new people. So this is why I am considering college.

What is college like? Is it more exciting than a sixth form at a school? Is the class work more independent?

Also, I have picked Psychology as an A-level option...what is psychology like?
Is it quite sciency? (I'm not got at Science. I got 2 Bs for Biology and Physics and a below C grade in Chemistry). Is it a lot of work? And is it difficult? Also, is it less work than GCSE Art?

Any replies would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

You get a LOT more freedom in college than 6th form grammar schools imo. For example in the grammar school I went to, they still babied you and wouldn't let you go home even if you'd finished all your lessons for the day by 1pm, but I guess if you like that kind of thing then go for it.
I did psychology A level and absolutely loved it. Not much if any maths in there, there's a bit dotted around in the research methods section but it's minuscule and even less than GCSE maths and more so about reading a graph. Topics are really interesting, but it is essentially one big memory test as you write up a bunch of essays throughout the year, memorise or get the gist of them all and a couple of those will come up in your exam
Original post by Pinkberry_y
You get a LOT more freedom in college than 6th form grammar schools imo. For example in the grammar school I went to, they still babied you and wouldn't let you go home even if you'd finished all your lessons for the day by 1pm, but I guess if you like that kind of thing then go for it.
I did psychology A level and absolutely loved it. Not much if any maths in there, there's a bit dotted around in the research methods section but it's minuscule and even less than GCSE maths and more so about reading a graph. Topics are really interesting, but it is essentially one big memory test as you write up a bunch of essays throughout the year, memorise or get the gist of them all and a couple of those will come up in your exam

Thanks for the reply. So psychology is a lot of essay writing then? Is it a lot of work?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cookie123456789
Thanks for the reply. So psychology is a lot of essay writing then? Is it a lot of work?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would say it is yeah, though you write more essays in A2 compared to AS. I did AQA and in year 12 we had 12 markers, whereas 24 markers in year 13. I will say this though because the topics are quite interesting I always enjoyed the lessons and didn't find the essays that hard to write. It's not like a history or English essay. Usually much shorter (like 2 pages max really) and easier to write. Defiantly not a hard subject
I went to a college taster day. There's so many people compared to sixth form.
Original post by Pinkberry_y
I would say it is yeah, though you write more essays in A2 compared to AS. I did AQA and in year 12 we had 12 markers, whereas 24 markers in year 13. I will say this though because the topics are quite interesting I always enjoyed the lessons and didn't find the essays that hard to write. It's not like a history or English essay. Usually much shorter (like 2 pages max really) and easier to write. Defiantly not a hard subject

That's brilliant! Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by saraxh
I went to a college taster day. There's so many people compared to sixth form.

Haha yeah, I think that's cool because I would like to meet new people

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending