The Student Room Group

Has anyone ever self taught an a level?

If you have, in what subject?
Further Maths.. hence SeanFM :wink:

I picked up AS and A2 in Year 13 as I wanted to study Maths at uni.
Original post by SeanFM
Further Maths.. hence SeanFM :wink:

I picked up AS and A2 in Year 13 as I wanted to study Maths at uni.

How did you do it in one year?
I basically taught myself my whole first year at uni :laugh:
Reply 4
yeah biology because my teacher was a retard. i got an A in it. self teaching is easy if you have the right study materials and you persevere with it.
Reply 5
A friend of mine taught himself AS level History outside of class time because his timetable clashed and he couldnt join the AS class and he managed to get an A 😊
I'm not 100% sure how you want me to answer that question (as in what the answer should look like) but I'd say that I realised that, for Further Maths (forgetting about my other subjects for this case) there were 6 units to complete between September and... May, but I changed it to April to make sure there was enough time for revision. That worked out to roughly 1 month per module, which was quite a realistic target.

I then took the time at home to learn the content - the Edexcel textbooks were fairly good for this and I didn't need much external help, but there's always some available from TSR, examsolutions etc...) and went through each subsection of the book to practice questions until I felt confident with the topics. Because that's what maths is about - lots and lots of practice with an aim to 'understand' and be able to tackle unseen problems in the exam that may have twists here and there. And I guess around exam time I just looked at the spacing of exams and worked out what needed to be revised then, but in April I just did a few past papers for each module just to make sure nothing was missing.
Reply 7
Yeah you can do it, but you will need a lot of studying materials. Past paper helped me the most in my opinion.
Currently self-studying econ AS during my A2 year right now.
Reply 8
I taught myself economics.

Quick Reply

Latest