The Student Room Group

Poll shows majority of British people support burqa ban

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I have some pretty serious issues with it,
Maybe you should "grow a spine" then?
Original post by BaconandSauce
I'm not the one making up spurious reasons up to prevent people wearing what they like

Tell you what mate, if my judgement isn't good enough for you, why don't you go out in public wearing that shirt yourself? Then a jury of your peers can give their opinion on whether they think a reasonable person would consider it to be inciting racial or religious hatred.
Original post by scrotgrot
Tell you what mate

:smile: fancy getting tetchy over what someone want's to wear
'Tell you what mate, '

'Right mate'

did I walking into a pub full of angry people or something?
Reply 124
What city are you walking around? Dubai? Monte Carlo?

Imagine the freedom a burka brings, no longer having to worry about your makeup, getting catcalled less,
But women still wear make-up and expensive clothes under the burqa. It is just that no one is allowed to see it apart from her husband and family.

plus the obvious of being able to practice your religion peacefully.
So Muslims women who do not wear the burqa cannot practice their religion peacefully?
You might need to explain that further.

If a Muslim breaks the law, I'm all for banning them from wearing a burka. But if a Muslim, just wants to be peaceful, what's the harm?
If it is legal to wear a burqa (which it should be), why would breaking the law mean that someone would be banned from wearing it?
"You have been found guilty of speeding, so off with her burqa!"
That makes absolutely no sense.
In fact, none of your post does!
Original post by Zeus007
I can totally understand for security reasons in places such as airports. However seeing the news these days and what happened in France where innocent women just wanted to enjoy the beach in a modest way were told to leave because of their "burkini", that's when it starts getting over the top.

Also, i don't know if the burqa is compulsory as i'm not a Muslim so i can't answer that.

The burqa is not compulsory. It's a rule or law from the country of which that muslim is from. For example Tantawi it's compulsory but the religion doesn't say it is. It's more of a culture. The Hijab or Head scarf is however compulsory by law in Islam.
Original post by QE2
Maybe you should "grow a spine" then?

You can tell I've already got one by the fact that I'm not calling for it to be banned. Merely disliking someone's clothes doesn't make a person spineless. Appealing to the government to force them to stop wearing the clothes because it makes you uncomfortable is spineless.
Original post by ShariYeah!
Go after the scum that matter, like single teen mothers, clubbers, binge drinkers/druggies - all of which are bigger drain on taxes and all of which the Sharia deals with comprehensively. The majority of women of child rearing age shouldnt be working anyway, but if some do manage to work be grateful that they even associate with westerners. Most muslims would rather work with their own kind and not be in the same room as kuffar.

is this what Islam teaches you

because I go clubbing I'm scum :biggrin:

I'll save this post and use it when I need to show people what your type of muslim REALLY think.
You can tell I've already got one by the fact that I'm not calling for it to be banned. Merely disliking someone's clothes doesn't make a person spineless. Appealing to the government to force them to stop wearing the clothes because it makes you uncomfortable is spineless.

Things being comfortable and non-comfortable are what many laws are based upon, if something makes so many people uncomfortable, it should be banned, and you have the security issue on top of that.

A happy and peaceful society requires people being comfortable around each other, willing to talk to each other, the burka prevents that and is basically a giant **** you to everyone else.
Original post by 0to100
So thirsty for reps. I bet only people who wear those things will rep you, and you knew they would. :rolleyes:

Anyway I support the ban! You can be Muslim without wearing it. And it ties into sexism anyway. Plus it makes me feel very uncomfortable.

Fat white men in speedos on the beach make me very uncomfortable.

Plus it was white men who in uniforms who attacked my native country and murdered my friend's sister.

I think we should ban speedos and military uniforms.

I'll save this post and use it when I need to show people what your type of muslim REALLY think.

To be fair you were having a go at women that dont work, when clearly the natural state of affairs throughout history has been men doing the hard toil and women the child rearing/pastoral/communal care. Im afraid clubbers are scum as they aren't willing to make the sacrifices that the average sunni muslim makes in order to achieve self improvement/jannah.
To be fair you were having a go at women that dont work, when clearly the natural state of affairs throughout history has been men doing the hard toil and women the child rearing/pastoral/communal care. Im afraid clubbers are scum as they aren't willing to make the sacrifices that the average sunni muslim makes in order to achieve self improvement/jannah.

To be fair no I wasn't

If you need me to explain it I am happy to, but you you'd have to ask nicely and say baaaa an awful lot.

and as a clubber I'm doing so much better than most muslims already (I have a well paid full time job and I'm doing a PhD) shall we compare this with the average UK Muslim?

You see bettering myself includes working hard not prostrating myself a lot and asking for gods help while getting social from kaffirs.
(edited 7 years ago)
Humans communicate immensely with their facial expressions and eyes. I would feel uncomfortable walking past someone wearing a balaclava or ski mask in public and I don't see why Muslim women should be treated differently.

The one which cover which mainly just cover the hair (Hijab and variations) - Meh, I don't think it looks fashionable and I don't find it an attractive look but whatever floats your boat if that's what you think your religion compells you to do. You can still see the eyes and most of the face.

The ones which cover nearly everything apart from the eye slit (Burqa/Niqab) - Ban them right now! They make me feel deeply uneasy as well as being a sympbol of oppression against Muslim women.
Reply 133
Your "grow a spine" comment was given in response to a specific quote, ie. "it makes me uncomfortable". No mention of banning it. I am not responsible to trawl through previous posts just in case you have used a quote out of context.
Original post by The_Opinion
Things being comfortable and non-comfortable are what many laws are based upon, if something makes so many people uncomfortable, it should be banned, and you have the security issue on top of that.

Open homosexuality made and still makes a lot of people very uncomfortable. Thank goodness that we live in a country whose government values individual liberties over making life comfortable for the thin-skinned! Thank goodness, in other words, that you are wrong.

Original post by The_Opinion
A happy and peaceful society requires people being comfortable around each other, willing to talk to each other, the burka prevents that and is basically a giant **** you to everyone else.

I know and talk to plenty of friendly, social burka'd people, and doing so is comfortable for me. Perhaps you simply have not talked to many, because you've mistakenly taken their attire as a giant "**** you" that they never intended?
(edited 7 years ago)

Have you ever been to Bahrain? Every weekend, literally tens of thousands of Saudi Muslims flock over the King Fahd Causeway into Bahrain to get drunk & shag whores.

Perhaps you should go inflict your self imposed misery on those who follow your religion as opposed to all of us non-Muslims in the West who are never going to be interested.
Reply 136

Ah, no.
You can only use "the example of the behaviour of Muslims" when they are being nice and peaceful and tolerant.
If you use "the example of the behaviour of Muslims" when they are being nasty or violent or intolerant, you are a bigot.
Apparently.
Reply 137
What does that mean?
Original post by QE2
Your "grow a spine" comment was given in response to a specific quote, ie. "it makes me uncomfortable". No mention of banning it. I am not responsible to trawl through previous posts just in case you have used a quote out of context.

The 3-sentence paragraph the included his saying it makes him uncomfortable begins with "Anyway I support the ban!" followed by his reasons for that support, one of which is his discomfort.
Original post by Tempest II
Have you ever been to Bahrain? Every weekend, literally tens of thousands of Saudi Muslims flock over the King Fahd Causeway into Bahrain to get drunk & shag whores.

Perhaps you should go inflict your self imposed misery on those who follow your religion as opposed to all of us non-Muslims in the West who are never going to be interested.

Well there an element of Arab society which misguidedly apes aspects of western culture in attempt to appear worldly or modern. However most have the sense to stick to tradition, and the results are there to see; Saudi society is very orderly and low on crime; the family is well protected there. I would also say that south asian values would help the average British family to lift themselves out of the muck, things like not putting your elderly parents in a home, not throwing your kids out on their 18th birthday and spending more than 30 mins preparing an evening meal etc...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending