The Student Room Group

reason for second year entry transferring( Warwick)

I had asked the Computer Science department at Warwick if it would be possible to transfer into the 2nd year of their Computer Science course and they had said it is possible under exceptional circumstances and had asked me to write a statement giving reasons why I wished to transfer. Does anyone know what to write so as to be seen as 'exceptional circumstances'? My own main reasons for wanting to transfer are Warwick's high reputation and the fact that they do a lot of work on algorithm analysis, something I am looking to work on after my degree myself, but I am not sure if these would be seen as good enough(and exception enough) reasons.
Reply 1
Original post by Jackkoo
I had asked the Computer Science department at Warwick if it would be possible to transfer into the 2nd year of their Computer Science course and they had said it is possible under exceptional circumstances and had asked me to write a statement giving reasons why I wished to transfer. Does anyone know what to write so as to be seen as 'exceptional circumstances'? My own main reasons for wanting to transfer are Warwick's high reputation and the fact that they do a lot of work on algorithm analysis, something I am looking to work on after my degree myself, but I am not sure if these would be seen as good enough(and exception enough) reasons.

You can't just make things up. You have to try with your own reasons - if they're not accepted then they're not accepted. Exceptional circumstances are usually things like illness, but they will ask for proof so that people can't just lie.
Reply 2
Original post by Juno
You can't just make things up. You have to try with your own reasons - if they're not accepted then they're not accepted. Exceptional circumstances are usually things like illness, but they will ask for proof so that people can't just lie.

Beacsue of my personal reason that I didnt do well in my exam. I didnt meet the offer.
Original post by Jackkoo
Beacsue of my personal reason that I didnt do well in my exam. I didnt meet the offer.

Transferring isn't a back door option to get onto competitive courses.
Original post by PQ

I disagree, a friend of mine applied to LSE, didn't get in so she went to an american uni (not a very good one), then she got firsts in her first year there and transferred to do economics at LSE...
Original post by anarbayram
I disagree, a friend of mine applied to LSE, didn't get in so she went to an american uni (not a very good one), then she got firsts in her first year there and transferred to do economics at LSE...

Did she transfer (into year 2) or did she start again in year 1?

https://lfylive.lse.ac.uk/lfy/tc/enquiries/enquiry.html?a=4&q=23154&searchString=

"You must ensure that you have met the course requirements for first year entry to the course and covered all of the first year compulsory modules of your desired LSE programme at your current university." Not a back door

The OP is asking about transferring - to universities that means switching university without restarting your studies.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by PQ

I know but I dont want to waste a year studying in the uni.
I do meet all of the academic requirement for year1 apart from english.
So I want to apply for second year entry.
Original post by PQ
Did she transfer (into year 2) or did she start again in year 1?

https://lfylive.lse.ac.uk/lfy/tc/enquiries/enquiry.html?a=4&q=23154&searchString=

"You must ensure that you have met the course requirements for first year entry to the course and covered all of the first year compulsory modules of your desired LSE programme at your current university." Not a back door

The OP is asking about transferring - to universities that means switching university without restarting your studies.

Ahh.. fair enough, she ended up restarting but considering that she's getting a degree from LSE thats not such a bad deal...
Original post by Jackkoo
I know but I dont want to waste a year studying in the uni.
I do meet all of the academic requirement for year1 apart from english.
So I want to apply for second year entry.

That's not likely to be successful then. If you don't meet then entry requirements and your situation isn't exceptional then I doubt you'll get anywhere.

Your options will be either to apply to start again from year 1 or to take a year out, retake your english qualifications and reapply as normal to Warwick.

Warwick are clear that it's not something they encourage - http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/guidance/#exemption
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
That's not likely to be successful then. If you don't meet then entry requirements and your situation isn't exceptional then I doubt you'll get anywhere.

Your options will be either to apply to start again from year 1 or to take a year out, retake your english qualifications and reapply as normal to Warwick.

I will study in a uni then for a year. I am sure I can get the english requirement eventually .
I would like to ask what reason warwick would accept for transferring.
Original post by Jackkoo
I will study in a uni then for a year. I am sure I can get the english requirement eventually .
I would like to ask what reason warwick would accept for transferring.

Why don't you ask them? I'm not psychic and their website doesn't list specifics.

I would imagine bereavement or illness requiring you to move close to home/in with parents would be the only guaranteed reasons - and in those situations you would need to provide proof (death certificates, doctors notes and proof that your family live within daily distance of Warwick).

Starting a course you have no intention of completing is a waste of everyone's time and money. There are much better ways to spend a gap year.
Original post by Jackkoo

Let's get the situation clear. Have you done badly in your pre-university exams or your first year university exams? Neither bodes well for entry to Warwick.

On the question of exceptional circumstances, liking the university or course won't cut the mustard. Having a newly-ill relative you now have to help look after, no longer being able to travel to your original university yourself, having migrated to the UK part-way through a course might all be valid. The key word is "exceptional".

In any case you will need to back up your claims with concrete proof, and are likely to need a statement or reference from your current university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending