The Student Room Group

Poll shows majority of British people support burqa ban

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Opinion
A happy and peaceful society requires people being comfortable around each other, willing to talk to each other, the burka prevents that and is basically a giant **** you to everyone else.

Christ so now you want to ban headphones and mobile phones, when will it end, what ever happened to your balls?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 141
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
The 3-sentence paragraph the included his saying it makes him uncomfortable begins with "Anyway I support the ban!" followed by his reasons for that support, one of which is his discomfort.
Perhaps I don't consider supporting a ban on items of clothing that cause discomfort to be a necessary factor in needing to grow a spine. Perhaps, to me, it is simply feeling uncomfortable about what people are wearing that is enough to justify the suggestion of vertebrae development.
In which case, my original comment still stands.
Original post by ShariYeah!
Well there an element of Arab society which misguidedly apes aspects of western culture in attempt to appear worldly or modern. However most have the sense to stick to tradition, and the results are there to see; Saudi society is very orderly and low on crime; the family is well protected there. I would also say that south asian values would help the average British family to lift themselves out of the muck, things like not putting your elderly parents in a home, not throwing your kids out on their 18th birthday and spending more than 30 mins preparing an evening meal etc...

Or, maybe the silent majority of people don't particularly like being chained down & overruled by a somewhat outdated religion?
The Puritans back in the 17th Century have many similarities with Islam & they left the UK as we were too progressive for them; we can send you away on a boat back to Saudi Arabia if you like?
Reply 143
Well there an element of Arab society which misguidedly apes aspects of western culture in attempt to appear worldly or modern. However most have the sense to stick to tradition, and the results are there to see; Saudi society is very orderly and low on crime; the family is well protected there. I would also say that south asian values would help the average British family to lift themselves out of the muck, things like not putting your elderly parents in a home, not throwing your kids out on their 18th birthday and spending more than 30 mins preparing an evening meal etc...
Get back under your bridge!
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Open homosexuality made and still makes a lot of people very uncomfortable. Thank goodness that we live in a country whose government values individual liberties over making life comfortable for the thin-skinned! Thank goodness, in other words, that you are wrong.

I know and talk to plenty of friendly, social burka'd people, and doing so is comfortable for me. Perhaps you simply have not talked to many, because you've mistakenly taken their attire as a giant **** you that they never intended?

Anecdotal points to the rescue! It Western culture talking to people face to face is the norm, it really is simple.
Original post by QE2
Perhaps I don't consider supporting a ban on items of clothing that cause discomfort to be a necessary factor in needing to grow a spine. Perhaps, to me, it is simply feeling uncomfortable about what people are wearing that is enough to justify the suggestion of vertebrae development.
In which case, my original comment still stands.

I'm getting really confused now, how does this all work, is uncomfortable worse than offended and triggered now?

uncomfortable > offended > triggered ???
Original post by The_Opinion
Things being comfortable and non-comfortable are what many laws are based upon, if something makes so many people uncomfortable, it should be banned, and you have the security issue on top of that.

A happy and peaceful society requires people being comfortable around each other, willing to talk to each other, the burka prevents that and is basically a giant **** you to everyone else.

Perhaps western capitalism should stop using the female form to market its **** on the public. Perhaps if nonentities like the Kardashians were not foisted on the public then there wouldn't be such a reaction from those that uphold taste and decency.
Lmao, being uncomfortable around niqaabs isn't a good enough reason to ban them. I feel extremely uncomfortable around gothic clothes, but it doesn't mean the clothes should be banned. The alt-right/Conservatives need to grow a pair and be consistent in their stance on not limiting freedom due to people being uncomfortable. For security reasons, maybe a ban in courts, schools and government buildings would be justified.

Having said that, I have no problem banning T-shirts with ISIS or other Islamist logos/symbols since they're far more likely to cause distress and alarm.
(edited 7 years ago)
Discuss the following quote:
The only demographics to oppose the ban were 18-24 year-olds by a margin of 6% and those who voted to remain in the European Union, but only by a margin of 3%.

So by far the majority of people questioned voted Leave....
Perhaps western capitalism should stop using the female form to market its **** on the public. Perhaps if nonentities like the Kardashians were not foisted on the public then there wouldn't be such a reaction from those that uphold taste and decency.

New Poster = IGNORE.
I'd be interested to see who the polled demographic were in this poll. If it's Croydon's finest I can understand the 57% but I really don't think that twice as many British people would rather see the burqa banned rather than let them do their thing.
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
The alt-right/Conservatives need to grow a pair and be consistent in their stance on not limiting freedom due to people being uncomfortable.

Can't see it happening, maybe just relabel them, something more descriptive, alt-right just doesn't get across the whininess.
Reply 152
Original post by dingleberry jam
I'm getting really confused now, how does this all work, is uncomfortable worse than offended and triggered now?

uncomfortable > offended > triggered ???
I think a Venn diagramm is required here.
Original post by KingBradly
I found this interesting. Not sure where I stand on it. It should obviously be banned in airports and other places where it is absolutely necessary to see people's faces for security reasons, but I worry banning it in all public places could help open the doors to a surveillance culture where people must always have their faces on show. I certainly sympathise with the sentiments behind banning face-covering Islamic veils though, Islam should not be welcomed in this country. But I think I favour liberty. Politicians and the BBC stopping with the fawning platitudes about Islam would be a better option, as would banning faith schools, which would be the best option.
http://www.euractiv.com/section/uk-europe/news/british-public-heavily-in-favour-of-burqa-ban-poll/

The thing I worry about is that these women are caught in between their religious leaders and scriptures telling them to hide their bodies, and western authorities forcing them to dress in a way that makes visible the body that they have been made to feel so many negative things about. They're caught in a crossfire of shame and control. I hate the idea of a woman being covered but we shouldn't target the woman. France should have targeted the religious men who coerce these women into dressing in such a way.
Original post by KingBradly
I found this interesting. Not sure where I stand on it. It should obviously be banned in airports and other places where it is absolutely necessary to see people's faces for security reasons, but I worry banning it in all public places could help open the doors to a surveillance culture where people must always have their faces on show. I certainly sympathise with the sentiments behind banning face-covering Islamic veils though, Islam should not be welcomed in this country. But I think I favour liberty. Politicians and the BBC stopping with the fawning platitudes about Islam would be a better option, as would banning faith schools, which would be the best option.
http://www.euractiv.com/section/uk-europe/news/british-public-heavily-in-favour-of-burqa-ban-poll/

I don't know why people are so bothered by burkas - worrying about them feels like a monumental waste of everyone's time.

Personally I think they look cool and have no problem with them at all.
Original post by Captain Jack
I don't know why people are so bothered by burkas - worrying about them feels like a monumental waste of everyone's time.

Are you 5?
Original post by leavingthecity
Are you 5?

:facepalm2:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by leavingthecity
The thing I worry about is that these women are caught in between their religious leaders and scriptures telling them to hide their bodies, and western authorities forcing them to dress in a way that makes visible the body that they have been made to feel so many negative things about. They're caught in a crossfire of shame and control. I hate the idea of a woman being covered but we shouldn't target the woman. France should have targeted the religious men who coerce these women into dressing in such a way.

I'm not a fan of the burqa (read: niqaab) either, but a lot of Western work to emancipate women from other cultures is done via the angle of painting men in said countries as savages who must be defeated by the Enlightened White Man; this perspective is ********.

The recent French ban on the burkini for example, failed to take into account the agency of women; it mirrors the oppressive patriarchal thinking - top-down control over women's clothing. It has nothing to do with "liberating" women, as the French Supreme Court was able to recognise and overturn the ban.

It reminds me of the colonial mentality: Both the British in India and the Americans in Afghanistan made women’s clothing and gender crimes into signatures of an alien and barbaric culture. Moral campaigns against such ‘offensive’ practices are in reality sophisticated imperial technologies of control. For populations ‘at home,’ bare-breasted Hindu women and burqa-clad Afghan women become convenient emblems of both strangeness and the need for corrective conquest. When the Hindu woman puts on a long-sleeved blouse and a petticoat, or when an Afghan woman throws off her burqa, it equals conquest and success of the colonial venture.

The singling out of gendered crimes, sati in India and honour killings in Afghanistan, dramatises the otherness of the Hindu or Afghan male. He becomes an indigenous evil requiring heroic foreign intervention. The sophistication of this kind of enemy-making is that it renders one half of the local population the victims of these crimes allies of the occupation. Actual Hindu widows and Afghan women are rarely, if ever, heard from, as their experiences and perspective might complicate a silence that the Anglo-American empire can imagine as gratitude.

If the niqaab were to be banned here, the opposition would mainly consist of Muslim women, not men.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Captain Jack

This is the worst attempt at an argument I've seen on here for a long time, and that is saying something.

Ladies and gents, I give you the TSR mods.
Personally I think that any law forcing people to wear or not wear something is fundamentally wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending