Oxford MAT

How do i prepare for oxford MAT i have no idea what to do

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ugoeze99
How do i prepare for oxford MAT i have no idea what to do

Practice past questions.
Original post by RDKGames
Practice past questions.

Hey there, I'm doing the MAT. I was not sure what to do for this question. It's question 1A. I thought perhaps you reversed the symbols on the powers in the denominator so that you can now multiply numerator and denominator, but I'm not sure. I'd be thankful if you could tell me what you think.

https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/files/attachments/test07.pdf
Reply 3
Original post by student1856
Hey there, I'm doing the MAT. I was not sure what to do for this question. It's question 1A. I thought perhaps you reversed the symbols on the powers in the denominator so that you can now multiply numerator and denominator, but I'm not sure. I'd be thankful if you could tell me what you think.

https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/files/attachments/test07.pdf

Separate out powers of 2 and powers of 3.
Original post by RichE
Separate out powers of 2 and powers of 3.

What does that mean? Separate it out from what?
Reply 5
What does that mean? Separate it out from what?

Well each number 6,12,8,9 only has factors of 2 or 3.

So write 6 = 2 x 3, 8 = 2^3, etc.
Original post by RichE
Well each number 6,12,8,9 only has factors of 2 or 3.

So write 6 = 2 x 3, 8 = 2^3, etc.

Right, so I've got that by replacing 8 and 9 with 2^3 and 3^2. But with 12^r-s would you write this as 2^r x 3^-s x 3 or some other combination. I'm confused about what you'd do with the multiples of 6 and 12.
Reply 7
Right, so I've got that by replacing 8 and 9 with 2^3 and 3^2. But with 12^r-s would you write this as 2^r x 3^-s x 3 or some other combination. I'm confused about what you'd do with the multiples of 6 and 12.

You need some power rule to re-express

(2 x 3)^m

and

(2^2 x 3)^m.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RichE

(2 x 3)^m

and

(2 x 3^2)^m.

Ohhhhh, I've got it now. It's quite straightforward. Thanks very much.
Original post by RichE

(2 x 3)^m

and

Hi again, to express 12 in power form shouldn't it be (2^2 x 3)^m rather than (2 x 3^2)^m?
Reply 10
Hi again, to express 12 in power form shouldn't it be (2^2 x 3)^m rather than (2 x 3^2)^m?

Yes, you're right - sorry for the typo.
How's everyone's MAT prep going?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by theaverage
How's everyone's MAT prep going?

Posted from TSR Mobile

doing my first paper either this saturday or sunday (well first this year anyway), there's so little past papers though which sucks

With the amount there we can only do one paper per week if we want them to last until the end of October :frown:

wbu? how are you finding it?
Original post by DylanJ42
doing my first paper either this saturday or sunday (well first this year anyway), there's so little past papers though which sucks

With the amount there we can only do one paper per week if we want them to last until the end of October :frown:

wbu? how are you finding it?

Maybe i'm not being tactful then... I've done 3 papers so far

I think im going to take a break from papers and do some Nrich/ UKMT stuff everything day

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe i'm not being tactful then... I've done 3 papers so far

I think im going to take a break from papers and do some Nrich/ UKMT stuff everything day

Posted from TSR Mobile

well maybe a good tactic is to do 4/5 then take a break and come back to them in a month and do the other 4/5.

Im just thinking if I do one per week ill be able to use a day to do and mark it and then another day later in the week to go over it and analyse methods etc

but yea ill also need to find other sources of maths with a similar style to the MAT to practice with
Reply 15
well maybe a good tactic is to do 4/5 then take a break and come back to them in a month and do the other 4/5.

Im just thinking if I do one per week ill be able to use a day to do and mark it and then another day later in the week to go over it and analyse methods etc

but yea ill also need to find other sources of maths with a similar style to the MAT to practice with

Why don't you try some STEP papers?
Original post by B_9710

Because I havent done C3 or C4 yet

And isnt the Style completely different? I think BMO questions are more similar

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by B_9710

I sat STEP last year (2/3 months ago). I'll probably do some STEP 1 just to sharpen my thinking ability etc but if you seen 2015 paper...

Spoiler

I sat STEP last year (2/3 months ago). I'll probably do some STEP 1 just to sharpen my thinking ability etc but if you seen 2015 paper...

Spoiler

I did the 2015 one yesterday and I think the hardest Part is actually getting your head around the question As opposed to actually solving it xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did the 2015 one yesterday and I think the hardest Part is actually getting your head around the question As opposed to actually solving it xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

totally agree, after reading some questions for the first time I can only sit and think "what the hell does that even mean" :laugh: but the maths itself isnt too hard, no crazy algebraic manipulations or anything.

How did you get on in 2015?

Quick Reply

Latest