The Student Room Group

Nottingham Medicine 2017 Entry

Hi everyone,

I didn't see a Nottingham thread so I thought I'd start one for everyone who is considering applying!
Nottingham have a very clear scoring system on their website:
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/medicine/study/medicine/faq/a100-a108-scoring-system.aspx

GCSE and UKCAT Scoring

Spoiler

PS/Reference Scoring

Spoiler

Scores needed last year

Spoiler

Note that these scores included the Decision Analysis section which isn't marked this year, so this year's cut-offs will be lower :smile:

Good luck everyone!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zedna
Hi everyone,

I didn't see a Nottingham thread so I thought I'd start one for everyone who is considering applying!
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/medicine/study/medicine/faq/a100-a108-scoring-system.aspx

GCSE and UKCAT Scoring

Spoiler

PS/Reference Scoring

Spoiler

Scores needed last year

Spoiler

Note that these scores included the Decision Analysis section which isn't marked this year, so this year's cut-offs will be lower :smile:

Good luck everyone!

Hey! I am thinking of applying to Nottingham, looks gorgeous. the scoring system freaked me out as I was like what?! 46?! Hahaha. So if you take out the nineDA Marks the cut off for last year would be 37 pre PS and 47 after? I think hopefully I will have a score of 42 so looking bright unless I fail UKCAT aha. What other unis you looking at?
Reply 2
Original post by isabella1999
Hey! I am thinking of applying to Nottingham, looks gorgeous. the scoring system freaked me out as I was like what?! 46?! Hahaha. So if you take out the nineDA Marks the cut off for last year would be 37 pre PS and 47 after? I think hopefully I will have a score of 42 so looking bright unless I fail UKCAT aha. What other unis you looking at?

Yeah I have 42 :smile:
I love Newcastle though I'm irrationally worrying that the cut-off is going to jump loads - I guess I'll wait till the averages are released. Have you any idea exactly when that happens? They say late September but I saw someone else say the 15th. I got 727 which I'm obviously really pleased with but I can't help worrying :wink:
My others are Oxford (not 100% though) and either Liverpool or Birmingham. I haven't been to Birmingham yet but I think I like Liverpool more, especially as a city, but I would be applying to my strengths a lot more with Birmingham because I have good GCSEs! So that's a bit of a head vs heart decision...
How about you?
Original post by Zedna
Hi everyone,

GCSE and UKCAT Scoring

Spoiler

PS/Reference Scoring

Spoiler

Scores needed last year

Spoiler

Good luck everyone!

I'm thinking of applying to Nottingham for 2017 entry (I'm also looking at Lancaster, Birmingham, UEA and Glasgow but haven't made up my mind so far). I score 42/46 as well for the application so hopefully this would be high enough to secure an interview at least.

Has anyone been/going to an open day? I can't make any of the open days so I'm a bit dubious of applying blind but I might just have to go for it
Original post by Zedna
I love Newcastle though I'm irrationally worrying that the cut-off is going to jump loads - I guess I'll wait till the averages are released. Have you any idea exactly when that happens? They say late September but I saw someone else say the 15th. I got 727 which I'm obviously really pleased with but I can't help worrying :wink:
My others are Oxford (not 100% though) and either Liverpool or Birmingham. I haven't been to Birmingham yet but I think I like Liverpool more, especially as a city, but I would be applying to my strengths a lot more with Birmingham because I have good GCSEs! So that's a bit of a head vs heart decision...
How about you?

I am not sure, I just heard it was before the application deadline although my schools medicine deadline is September 21st so hopefully before then :wink: well done! And yeah I feel you. I'm thinking Cambridge (my GCSE percentage isn't high enough for Oxford I don't think, damn our school making us take 13 GCSE), Nottingham or Birmingham (will see after open days) Edinburgh and a London university, either BMAT or non depending on my UKCAT aha. I feel you, that's with me about Edinburgh (it's so competitive and would be better for me to go for Nottingham and Birmingham but oblibe it)
Reply 5
Original post by Elishchambers
I'm thinking of applying to Nottingham for 2017 entry (I'm also looking at Lancaster, Birmingham, UEA and Glasgow but haven't made up my mind so far). I score 42/46 as well for the application so hopefully this would be high enough to secure an interview at least.

Has anyone been/going to an open day? I can't make any of the open days so I'm a bit dubious of applying blind but I might just have to go for it

Nottingham was my favourite open day, it had a great feel to it, was really green and lovely :smile:
Original post by Zedna
Nottingham was my favourite open day, it had a great feel to it, was really green and lovely :smile:

Oh lovely! What were the facilities like? Also how was the accommodation?
Reply 7
I am not sure, I just heard it was before the application deadline although my schools medicine deadline is September 21st so hopefully before then :wink: well done! And yeah I feel you. I'm thinking Cambridge (my GCSE percentage isn't high enough for Oxford I don't think, damn our school making us take 13 GCSE), Nottingham or Birmingham (will see after open days) Edinburgh and a London university, either BMAT or non depending on my UKCAT aha. I feel you, that's with me about Edinburgh (it's so competitive and would be better for me to go for Nottingham and Birmingham but oblibe it)

Haha I don't even know when my school's deadline is or how any of the process at my school works, they're so disorganised!
That sounds like a good plan - I just went on a summer school in Cambridge and since the A-Level debacle they're basically going to invite everyone with a chance to interview, so I think you will have a great shot there :smile: I actually do love Cambridge, but I got 100% A* at GCSE so Oxford kind of suits my strengths more I guess, and I'm sure I'll like it just as much :smile:
I thought about Edinburgh but I kind of decided it would be too risky to apply to both Edinburgh and Oxford. I'm trying to be as sensible as my silly fantasies allow me to be, because I know if in a year's time I don't get any offers because I didn't apply to my strengths I'll be cursing myself!
Reply 8
Original post by Elishchambers
Oh lovely! What were the facilities like? Also how was the accommodation?

We got a tour of the med school and it seemed great (including the dissection labs :redface:) but obviously that's a plus especially if you have surgical ambitions... (which I don't, but ah well haha)
The accommodation seemed pretty standard. The downside for me is that all of the on-campus accommodation is catered, which I'm not really sure about, but there are a few self-catered literally 5 minutes away so I think that will be fine.
I also loved how the campus is literally connected to the med school by a walkway across the road, so you're not having to get the bus there like some unis, and I am told that's where the vast majority of your teaching takes place :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi everyone! I am thinking of applying for Medicine at Nottingham 2017. Anyone who went to the open day, how did you feel the student body was? Were they friendly and were many of them local?
Original post by Zedna
Haha I don't even know when my school's deadline is or how any of the process at my school works, they're so disorganised!
That sounds like a good plan - I just went on a summer school in Cambridge and since the A-Level debacle they're basically going to invite everyone with a chance to interview, so I think you will have a great shot there :smile: I actually do love Cambridge, but I got 100% A* at GCSE so Oxford kind of suits my strengths more I guess, and I'm sure I'll like it just as much :smile:
I thought about Edinburgh but I kind of decided it would be too risky to apply to both Edinburgh and Oxford. I'm trying to be as sensible as my silly fantasies allow me to be, because I know if in a year's time I don't get any offers because I didn't apply to my strengths I'll be cursing myself!

Oooh how was the summer school? What college did you stay in? I wanted to go on one but didn't meet conditions for Sutton or UniQ and didn't want to pay 3500 aha as just went on GapMedics :frown: that's a good sign! Yeah it's all been a mess really! After reading your response I am really reconsidering my life choices aha. I will only apply to Edinburgh I think if I really ace my UKCAT (750+) as otherwise it's too risky and I will just apply to unis that suit my strengths more like Birmingham. Nottingham is beautiful though and good for my strengths I think (with the scoring system) so hopefully it's a good choice for us aha
Original post by Zedna
We got a tour of the med school and it seemed great (including the dissection labs :redface:) but obviously that's a plus especially if you have surgical ambitions... (which I don't, but ah well haha)
The accommodation seemed pretty standard. The downside for me is that all of the on-campus accommodation is catered, which I'm not really sure about, but there are a few self-catered literally 5 minutes away so I think that will be fine.
I also loved how the campus is literally connected to the med school by a walkway across the road, so you're not having to get the bus there like some unis, and I am told that's where the vast majority of your teaching takes place :smile:

Thank you!! It's sounds great! I'm definitely considering applying now, but I'm with you on the catered accommodation I'd much prefer to be in self-catered even if it is a bit of a walk from campus haha.
Good luck everyone! If anyone of you need any help with personal statements and interviews or just advice in general I'll be more than happy to help. (I'll be starting Nottingham Med school soon)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
is 40/46 too low? i'm kind of worried now that I won't get an interview as majority seem to have 42+/46 etc.
Original post by medic99
is 40/46 too low? i'm kind of worried now that I won't get an interview as majority seem to have 42+/46 etc.

I do not think so! As last year, the cut off before they looked at PS (so for academics and ukcat) was only 46/55 I think so as long as you are around 9 points away from the highest mark (in our case 46) and you are pretty confident in your Personal statement you are likely to get an interview. Although it depends on the standard of the year applying, they say on the website that they discard the bottom 50% at each stage or whatever so if this year everyone has stellar stats (40 plus out of 46 or something) then the cut off for interview and at each stage will be higher.

If TSR is anything to go by, the standard this year is crazy high, but then again it is TSR so it is likely to be a lot lower than that haha
Reply 15
I do not think so! As last year, the cut off before they looked at PS (so for academics and ukcat) was only 46/55 I think so as long as you are around 9 points away from the highest mark (in our case 46) and you are pretty confident in your Personal statement you are likely to get an interview. Although it depends on the standard of the year applying, they say on the website that they discard the bottom 50% at each stage or whatever so if this year everyone has stellar stats (40 plus out of 46 or something) then the cut off for interview and at each stage will be higher.

If TSR is anything to go by, the standard this year is crazy high, but then again it is TSR so it is likely to be a lot lower than that haha

thanks for the reassurance, as i really want to go to Nottingham. haha TSR everyone seems to have amazing gcses/ukcat/everything!
Original post by Zedna
How about you?

Interim results are released on the 15th of September, and final results are released 5th October, I think. It's the day after the final testing date, I think...
Original post by medic99
thanks for the reassurance, as i really want to go to Nottingham. haha TSR everyone seems to have amazing gcses/ukcat/everything!

So true, here was me being so happy with my GCSE grades at the end of year 11 (10A* 3A's) then coming on here and seeing like "got 13A* 1A can I do medicine" and with UMS too for cambridge people be like "you need a 97 plus UMS average or your application is going in the bin" thankfully I did my own research and emailed admissions tutors etc to find out my real chances but just do not believe everything you see on TSR as the people on here normally are like the best of the best so do not be put off!
Reply 18
So true, here was me being so happy with my GCSE grades at the end of year 11 (10A* 3A's) then coming on here and seeing like "got 13A* 1A can I do medicine" and with UMS too for cambridge people be like "you need a 97 plus UMS average or your application is going in the bin" thankfully I did my own research and emailed admissions tutors etc to find out my real chances but just do not believe everything you see on TSR as the people on here normally are like the best of the best so do not be put off!

thanks again, and by far some peoples grades can make you feel so small comparably! what unis are you thinking of applying to?
Original post by medic99
thanks again, and by far some peoples grades can make you feel so small comparably! what unis are you thinking of applying to?

I feel that. I am thinking Cambridge (if head of admissions says it is realistic, We had like 4 people go there for medicine two years ago from school so they know what is required), Nottingham, Birmingham and my fourth really depends on my UKCAT (if I do really well then Kings or Edinburgh, if not then UCL or Imperial)

wbu?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending