The Student Room Group

Feeling really insecure about my height :(

I'm a girl and I'm 5'2 and the shortest out of all my friends :frown: I feel like I'll look like a child to guys and none of them will take me seriously to date me :frown: everyone knows tall girls are seen as lithe and hot with their long legs.
I also want to become a surgeon when I graduate but I feel like my height will hold me back because I'm short and won't be taken seriously in the operation theatre :/
I'm past growing anymore. I wish I'd slept more when I was younger or drank milk :frown: but both my parents are short, I would've liked to have been my dads height though which would be average height for a girl, as opposed to my height.
What shall I do? Idk how to increase my confidence and my height is really getting me down and how I can't become a surgeon because of it :frown:

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't worry about it, most girls I know moan about being as tall as they are, 6ft or so. Men in general prefer girls that are shorter than them so I say this isn't an issue. Personally I don't care about height, maybe I would prefer them to be nearer my height, but then again someone of your height I would actually be able to pick up. :smile: Forever lacking muscles.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a girl and I'm 5'2 and the shortest out of all my friends :frown: I feel like I'll look like a child to guys and none of them will take me seriously to date me :frown: everyone knows tall girls are seen as lithe and hot with their long legs.
I also want to become a surgeon when I graduate but I feel like my height will hold me back because I'm short and won't be taken seriously in the operation theatre :/
I'm past growing anymore. I wish I'd slept more when I was younger or drank milk :frown: but both my parents are short, I would've liked to have been my dads height though which would be average height for a girl, as opposed to my height.
What shall I do? Idk how to increase my confidence and my height is really getting me down and how I can't become a surgeon because of it :frown:

Honestly, being 5'2 is completely fine. A lot of my friends are that height or shorter and nobody treats them differently because of it. As for the surgeon thing, if you are smart and well trained nobody's going to not let you be one because of something like your height. Just embrace it. And where guys are concerned, a lot of them will like shorter girls (trust me, I'm 5'9 and being taller than 80% of guys my age isn't too fun). There's nothing wrong with being short, if you keep telling yourself that you'll get your confidence back 😊X
Don't worry about it! I'd happily date someone your height, it doesn't matter to me! You can never make everyone happy, if you were taller some people would say you're too tall, some people will call you too small just now.

Just gotta remember that plenty of people actually prefer small guys and even more people just don't care :smile: Don't let it get you down, you can't change it and it's not as big a deal as you think :smile:
Follow this

1) Can I change something about it?
2) If no then dont worry about it, even if it affects others impressions of you (and I wont joke, a judgemental minority will), what can you do about it anyway?

5'2 is fine, just own it :cool:
Reply 5
Original post by ForestShadow
Follow this

1) Can I change something about it?
2) If no then dont worry about it, even if it affects others impressions of you (and I wont joke, a judgemental minority will), what can you do about it anyway?

5'2 is fine, just own it :cool:

I've just really gained the impression that short people have less of an impression on people and are less heard :frown:
I've just really gained the impression that short people have less of an impression on people and are less heard :frown:

I think it's in your head tbh

Just make yourself heard in other ways :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by AndrewSCO
I think it's in your head tbh

Just make yourself heard in other ways :smile:

Thank you for your kind words :smile:

So step up and shout out what you wanna say then instead of whining like a beach.

No really, I'm a 5'5 guy and I'm heard, because doubting yourself is pointless. If you want to be heard speak up, if you don't, the problem is...?

People are judged for evrything. Your clothing style probably affects their judgments more than your height you're a girl nobody really gives a **** about your height except perhaps other girls and that won't hurt you much professionally or in a relationship sense. Some people are born paralysed from waist down. Try going about in a wheelchair for a week. When you want to be heard you'll be ignored. When you want to be ignored everyone will be showing 'sympathy' and annoying you.

Honestly, chin up, nothing to be getting down about. Embrace what you are. You're not even that short for a girl, average girl of our generation is about my height so w/e. My cousin is 18 and she's 4'10. It's awesome - means I can fling her all over when we dance which I think she apppreciates :P
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you for your kind words :smile:

You're welcome :smile: Don't worry about it :smile:
I consider myself as 5'8 even though everyone tells me that I am almost 5'9 and trust me, being this tall is not fun. I was always the tallest in my class and you can guess that people aren't always the nicest when you're 5'4 at the age of 11. I've turned 18 recently and thankfully being tall is becoming a trend, but that's only now. Plus its also really awkward when you're even taller than most of the boys in your class :/ I know its uncomfortable but heels are always an option to giving you that height boost; at least you can wear them without your head touching the ceiling or looking like a giant. And honestly I know so many people are near your height and they look absolutely rock it- take Kim and Kourtney Kardashian for example! Of course being somewhere in the middle is ideal, but I've always thought being shorter is better than being too tall. I think you'll be fine :smile:
My mum's 5'2 and I'm 5'11(Well, Really close at least :tongue:) I'm 16 :tongue:

There's nothing wrong with being 5'2 it's out of your control, it's natural, nothing you can do, you just have to adapt to it, I know it can be hard but nothing anyone can do :frown: And tbh I'd rather be short than be REALLY tall :yes:

This might sound silly but, I have the opposite problem. I'm 6ft 3, but I'm really skinny (11st or so). I look like a big lump sometimes because of crappy balance and it's really annoying cuz you stand out a lot :s-smilie: I'd actually rather be shorter/heavier if I'm honest.
Reply 13

Hey, I'm about that height as well and shortest out of all my friends! Don't worry about it! I used to worry about it all the time because I used to play a lot of sports and being shortest in the team wasn't always easy. But you are taken as seriously as anyone else and it certainly shouldn't affect you becoming a surgeon.
I've even had a few people say to me they wish they were my height because I can wear heels and they can't without looking super tall!
It has it's downfalls just like being tall does but no-one can change their height so you just have to learn to become confident in your own skin :smile: oh and good luck becoming a surgeon :h:
Original post by fuzz13
Hey, I'm about that height as well and shortest out of all my friends! Don't worry about it! I used to worry about it all the time because I used to play a lot of sports and being shortest in the team wasn't always easy. But you are taken as seriously as anyone else and it certainly shouldn't affect you becoming a surgeon.
I've even had a few people say to me they wish they were my height because I can wear heels and they can't without looking super tall!
It has it's downfalls just like being tall does but no-one can change their height so you just have to learn to become confident in your own skin :smile: oh and good luck becoming a surgeon :h:

Hello fellow 5'2 person :smile: thank you very much for your kind words

That is understandable and even true in some situations (but only rare ones) so you need to have confidence. With enough confidence, it will cover or supersede any lack of height you or others may rarely see.
There's no height requirement to be a surgeon. They can just adjust the operating table. It's a professional environment, it would be unprofessional if staff were to make fun of you.

But I'm in a similar situation as you, but I don't really enjoy being a 16 year old girl that is 6'1. Since my friends are significantly shorter than me and I'm taller than most of the boys. Most boys prefer shorter girls than tall ones.

Don't worry too much about it, I know exactly how you feel, I''m 18 and am only five foot but I've learned to accept and love my height instead of seeing it as a burden. :smile: Sure it can be annoying and at times I wish I was taller but you've just got to look on the bright side. Also, your height should have no effect on you being a surgeon. Seriously.
How old are you?
Reply 19
Funny that it's a girl moaning about her height, most guys don't have a problem with short girls even if 5'2, most guys in fact may prefer shorter girls so that they will feel more comfortable about their own height. I'm tall so I do like treating short girls like children in a patronising fun way but most guys are not tall.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending