The Student Room Group

"Flopped GCSE but came out with amazing A-levels" is this possible?

I was wondering is it actually possible to achieve fantastic A-levels but only have average to below average GCSE's. If you have any examples please put them here as well. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

usually the other way round...
Reply 2
Yes definitely, just depends on how much work you put in to improve your grade.

My gcse german grade is a D, but i just achieved an A in the AS and will aim for A* at A2; considering you wanted an example.
Reply 3
If your strengths are really focused in one area then getting better A-levels than your GCSE's is not uncommon. I got 4A*'s, 5A's, 6B's and 2C's at GCSE then got A*A*A* in maths, further maths and physics at A-level, (plus a B in chemistry fourth full A-level).

I actually got higher in A-level physics than GCSE physics too, an A* at A-level and an A at GCSE, so it can be done. That being said I worked way way harder at A-level, but I enjoyed it so it wasn't that bad at all.
Original post by Edilyne.p
I was wondering is it actually possible to achieve fantastic A-levels but only have average to below average GCSE's. If you have any examples please put them here as well. :smile:

GCSE:AABBBCCDDUU
A-Level:A*AB

Pushed my chem from a C to an A hehe

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by HFancy1997
GCSE:AABBBCCDDUU
A-Level:A*AB

Pushed my chem from a C to an A hehe

Posted from TSR Mobile

What were the other subjects?
One of my uni mentors from my summer school got a C in GCSE Chem and he got an A* at A2 :biggrin:
Original post by Inexorably
Yes definitely, just depends on how much work you put in to improve your grade.

My gcse german grade is a D, but i just achieved an A in the AS and will aim for A* at A2; considering you wanted an example.

How did you go up from a D at GCSE to an A at As?
wouldn't say I flopped my GCSE's but I would say I did a lot better at A level relative to other people than in GCSE (same amount of A*'s in both)
GCSE's I got 2 A*'s 6A's and 3 B's with the A*'s just in random subjects (German and RS, probs because they're easy)
At A level I got A*A*A in my full A2 subjects maths, biology and chemistry. AA in history and extended project (AS levels) and also doing further maths AS in my gap year.
It's usually the other way round but honestly a lot of it comes down to how you learn. I sucked at A levels because I did history which involved remembering a LOT of dates which I as a person generally in life am horrendous at so I went from having history at GCSE as my best subject to my worst in A Level because in GCSE you could get through without remembering dates.
At the same time though, I know people who sucked at subjects in GCSE and thrived during A Level because you're given a lot more freedom as to how you learn and study which for some people is golden plus you don't have to do subjects you hate anymore so you focus your energy into more condensed subjects

have you just got your gcse results back?
Original post by Rajive
What were the other subjects?

Maths A* and further Maths B

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by k.russell
have you just got your gcse results back?

Yeah I just got them.
I got : ABBBBCCCCD
Possible, not very likely.
Original post by HFancy1997
Maths A* and further Maths B

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you revise for maths ? :smile: because I'm resitting my gcse maths to achieve an A* I hope because I got a C before 😢

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I just got them.
I got : ABBBBCCCCD

that's not so bad :smile: I had a friend who got similar GCSE's (few less c's, few more d's) and she went on to get AAB at A level and she just met her offer to do astrophysics at Edinburgh. What A levels are you doing?
Reply 16
Original post by k.russell
that's not so bad :smile: I had a friend who got similar GCSE's (few less c's, few more d's) and she went on to get AAB at A level and she just met her offer to do astrophysics at Edinburgh. What A levels are you doing?

That gives me so much hope :biggrin:
Original post by goal101
How did you revise for maths ? :smile: because I'm resitting my gcse maths to achieve an A* I hope because I got a C before 😢

Posted from TSR Mobile

Past papers mainly and making sure I understood thr work

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep. My boyfriend got below average GCSEs but got AAA at A level (Maths, Biology, Chemistry). Work hard and efficiently and you may surprise yourself :h:
I know somebody who had these results:

GCSE: 2 Bs, 4 Cs, 4 Ds

AS Level: Maths - D
Chemistry - D
Biology - C
English Literature - A

A2 Level: Maths - A*
Chemistry - A*
Biology - A
English Literature - A*
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply