The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DylanJ42
totally agree, after reading some questions for the first time I can only sit and think "what the hell does that even mean" :laugh: but the maths itself isnt too hard, no crazy algebraic manipulations or anything.

How did you get on in 2015?

It was my worst paper by a lot, but it might just be because they seem to be getting harder and harder

I got 65ish , wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by theaverage
It was my worst paper by a lot, but it might just be because they seem to be getting harder and harder

I got 65ish , wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow you got 65, well i didnt even get an interview so im assuming <50 :laugh:

if i can get in and around 70 this year ill be happy enough

Oh so you taking a gap year?

But then im sure i'd have done a lot worse under exam pressure

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh so you taking a gap year?

But then im sure i'd have done a lot worse under exam pressure

Posted from TSR Mobile

yea i am, gonna try again for Oxford, not much to lose

ill hopefully be more prepared this year :biggrin:

I got 65ish , wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can judge the relative difficulty of the papers by looking at the stats in the right hand column of this page:
https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/study-here/undergraduate-study/maths-admissions-test
How long do you guys recommend spending on each section?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I saw 30 min per question but for me it usually takes like 50 minutes to do question 1 and like 15-20 for question 2,3,4 and 5s a bit hard, so I think it really depends on what your strengths within the exams are
Reply 27

I got 65ish , wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is 65 meant to be a bad score? U must be pretty good :wink:
Original post by 17lina
Is 65 meant to be a bad score? U must be pretty good :wink:

Slight problem... I think I'm getting worse and worse 😰

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by 17lina
I think I saw 30 min per question but for me it usually takes like 50 minutes to do question 1 and like 15-20 for question 2,3,4 and 5s a bit hard, so I think it really depends on what your strengths within the exams are

There is a danger of spending too much time on the last few parts of Q1 and then running out of time towards the end of the other questions. Marks come more quickly on the long questions than on the harder short questions.
Original post by tiny hobbit
There is a danger of spending too much time on the last few parts of Q1 and then running out of time towards the end of the other questions. Marks come more quickly on the long questions than on the harder short questions.

Wait so it said we are supposed to do all 10 sub questions in question 1 in 30 mins!

Jheez that's almost impossible!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wait so it said we are supposed to do all 10 sub questions in question 1 in 30 mins!Posted from TSR Mobile

Where did it say that?

No. Q1 is worth 40% of the marks so presumably should get 40% of the time. 40% of 150 minutes is 60 minutes. I suggest that you don't spend more than that on Q1 to start with, but go back later if you have time.
(edited 7 years ago)
Where did it say that?

No. Q1 is worth 40% of the marks so presumably should get 40% of the time. 40% of 150 minutes is 60 minutes. I suggest that you don't spend more than that on Q1 to start with, but go back later if you have time.

Sorry not you
@17lina said 30 mins per question, I thought question 1 was included in that :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree. When I sat MAT this year the only place i dropped marks was on the MC and Q4.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
I agree. When I sat MAT this year the only place i dropped marks was on the MC and Q4.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you find it other then that?

Do you get your mark back btw?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did you find it other then that?

Do you get your mark back btw?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I found it fine other then that.
I applied to imperial only and I was on a gap hence doing so well and I got 92(or 90). I got my score back from emailing imperial in March.
The MC is really pressuring tbh that is what i have seen. Do BMO and step tho two of the long questions last year were replicas of step and bmo ideas which were frequently used in BMO and STEP.

Quick Reply

Latest