The Student Room Group

Choosing a third A-level - politics at uni

So I'm aspiring to do a politics degree at uni, and currently have two firm a level subject choices: Politics, and Sociology

I put down english literature when I applied to sixth form but I didn't do as well as I hoped to in my GCSE and now am reconsidering.

I'm thinking Economics or Philosophy and ethics but I'm not sure, any ideas?
Original post by epage
So I'm aspiring to do a politics degree at uni, and currently have two firm a level subject choices: Politics, and Sociology

I put down english literature when I applied to sixth form but I didn't do as well as I hoped to in my GCSE and now am reconsidering.

Economics is probably a more difficult subject in the sense you need to be able to understand it well and apply it to different q's / situations .. Whereas politics is more learn and regurgitate

Posted from TSR Mobile
How about History?
Reply 3
History, in order to be taken serious by top Uni's you'll need a facilitating subject (history, geography, biology etc). Also there is a lot of crossover between history and politics. You'll encounter Political ideology A LOT as it was a significant cause in a lot of 20th century wars and you'll encounter how governments functioned etc. All in all History is the best subject for you to take if you wanna do politics, Uni's will love you.
Reply 4
I would say history. I am a politics undergrad and I did History, RE, and Politics for A Level, English Lit to AS.
Original post by epage

I personally found PHil & Eth a lot more interesting than Economics if you're set on those two.
Original post by Airmed
I would say history. I am a politics undergrad and I did History, RE, and Politics for A Level, English Lit to AS.

Original post by Milo62
History, in order to be taken serious by top Uni's you'll need a facilitating subject (history, geography, biology etc). Also there is a lot of crossover between history and politics. You'll encounter Political ideology A LOT as it was a significant cause in a lot of 20th century wars and you'll encounter how governments functioned etc. All in all History is the best subject for you to take if you wanna do politics, Uni's will love you.

Original post by citibankrec
How about History?

I have always enjoyed history a lot - but I haven't done history GCSE, this isn't a problem at my school as I can still take the subject but will I be at a disadvantage?
Original post by epage
I have always enjoyed history a lot - but I haven't done history GCSE, this isn't a problem at my school as I can still take the subject but will I be at a disadvantage?

Honestly, nope.
Choose a subject that a) you will enjoy and b) you will get a good grade.

For Politics degree courses you will need one social science subject and the others can probably be anything you like - its the grades that are important. For A level Economics you will need good maths (and to enjoy maths), for Philosophy you will need the patience for lots of reading and writing essays (was this the issue with Eng Lit?).

Lots of info here about applying for Politics : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Politics_Degree
Reply 9
Original post by epage

No.
Reply 10
Original post by epage

Nah I did History at GCSE and now at IB and it's completely different. The only transferable skill you would be unlikely to pick up in another subject is source work but they went through that with us. As long as you're good at English you should be fine and in order to study Politics you have to be so you'll be fine. Honestly it's you're best option

Quick Reply

Latest