The Student Room Group

Are there any universities that will consider old qualifications.

Hi, I'm 23 and considering going to university next year to study History. I completed my A-Levels (AAB) back in 2011 but have been told by the couple of universities that I e-mailed that they would not consider me if I applied as they are too old.

I can't really afford to do an access course as I'm already working three jobs to make up for the three years I'm going to go without making anything, so I wouldn't have the time to do one.

So, yeah, can I get into university with 5 year-old qualifications?

Scroll to see replies

You could try and get onto a foundation year at uni instead of doing an access course.

It costs more but afaik you can still get a
maintainance loan from student finance unlike when doing access.
Something isn't right here - qualifications don't somehow lose their value after a couple of years, and I simply don't believe any university would exclude someone on that basis. Plenty of mature students do degrees years, decades, after finishing school.

What have you done since finishing school? If your work has had some connection to history that will add a lot of weight to your application.

It would be interesting to hear the conversations you've had with the unis, but nothing is stopping you applying anyway. As long as you can show that you'd cope with studying again and are genuinely interested in the subject you've got just as much chance as anyone else. Go for it and good luck!
Original post by Duncan2012
Something isn't right here - qualifications don't somehow lose their value after a couple of years, and I simply don't believe any university would exclude someone on that basis. Plenty of mature students do degrees years, decades, after finishing school.

It is not that unusual, I was told the same thing by UCL - they said that they needed to see recent evidence of my academic ability even though my qualifications were only 3 years old.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
I have returned to uni in my 40s with 20 year old qualifications. Maybe my previous employment being relevant to what I returned to study swayed my acceptance onto the course.

The foundation year suggestion made by a pp is a good one. Otherwise, is there any relevant work experience thst you can get under your wing for a year?

As an example, this is what Southampton told me:

"We don’t consider applications if the academic qualifications are more than three years old. This is because History degree (sic) is very analytical essay writing subject."
There's also distance learning Access Courses you can do online if fitting college round work would be tricky.

It's BS really IMO. Your brain doesn't suddenly shut down because you aren't at school anymore.
Original post by SonOfASubmariner
As an example, this is what Southampton told me:

"We don’t consider applications if the academic qualifications are more than three years old. This is because History degree (sic) is very analytical essay writing subject."

That's staggering. Both the response and the bad grammar. Southampton has a section about mature (21+) students http://www.southampton.ac.uk/studentadmin/admissions/admissions-policies/mature.page and it looks like if you can find a way to show "recent serious study" you can apply through that route. They don't define 'recent'. Access, OU module or an A-level might be the way to go. Do you write analytically as part of your jobs?
Are my qualifications to old for university

I sat my GCSE's in 2014-2015 and achieved B-C grades.

I am currently in my second year of college and probably will apply to university this September 2016 and if not then the following year September 2017

I am just wondering, if my GCSE's will affect me since GCSE's are changing from A-C to 9-1 ?

If anyone can answer that would be great.
Join a local history thing like a 'friends of xyz Hall'. I'm a history student and there's a bloke on my course who got accepted purely based on his voluntary work with a local historical society. He had to do the foundation year but it prepared him really well academically

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blackstarr

I am currently in my second year of college and probably will apply to university this September 2016 and if not then the following year September 2017

I am just wondering, if my GCSE's will affect me since GCSE's are changing from A-C to 9-1 ?

It's fine, I did my GCSEs in 2015. Having GCSEs from using the "old" system shouldn't affect it
Reply 11

Nah they wont, I did mine in 2014 and am going uni this year. Plus I don't think the guys with the 9-1 system will be applying to uni until sept 2019? so you have like 3 years dw bout it
Old A levels still count as level 3 qualifications for admission purposes... but unis often ask for level 3 qualifications AND evidence of recent (<= 36 months study) so you can only use the same A level for both purposes if it's under that age limit.

no need to throw your money away on access courses or foundation years tho - I'd ring up & see if they'll take MOOC units (which are free) as evidence

Original post by z33
Nah they wont, I did mine in 2014 and am going uni this year. Plus I don't think the guys with the 9-1 system will be applying to uni until sept 2019? so you have like 3 years dw bout it

The 9-1 system won't make A-U graded gcse's worthless - obvs some people are going to be taking garp yahs straddling the changeover and the admission people will remember how the grading system used to work for several years after the new system comes in (in any case UCAS produces lists of archaic and equivalent qualifications going back decades)

most likely problem area for the grading changeover is small companies that only hire new staff infrequently not knowing what the new system means.
Original post by Joinedup
no need to throw your money away on access courses or foundation years tho - I'd ring up & see if they'll take MOOC units (which are free) as evidence.

Or better yet, one of these. :thumbsup:
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
It's fine, I did my GCSEs in 2015. Having GCSEs from using the "old" system shouldn't affect it

Ok cool.

:smile:
Reply 15

When I applied for a PGCE at UCLAN I was told that I had to do Functional Skills English even though I got a C at GCSE as it was over five years old.
Original post by z33

Cool.
x

Hi, I applied to Durham with AAB. I'm 26. Got an unconditional offer the next day.
Original post by Snufkin
Or better yet, one of these. :thumbsup:

Yeah I'd seen you made that list before... and then I'd forgotten about it again :colondollar:
Hi, I'm 23 and considering going to university next year to study History. I completed my A-Levels (AAB) back in 2011 but have been told by the couple of universities that I e-mailed that they would not consider me if I applied as they are too old.

I can't really afford to do an access course as I'm already working three jobs to make up for the three years I'm going to go without making anything, so I wouldn't have the time to do one.

So, yeah, can I get into university with 5 year-old qualifications?
You absolutely do not need to do an Access course, or even - with those grades - spend time and money on a Foundation year. You do however need to show evidence of recent study, and ideally it needs to something in which you were assessed, whether by exam or coursework. There are any number of online courses that offer CATS points, as well as the OU (which is a more significant undertaking both time and money wise). Start with www.conted.ox.ac.uk; Exeter, Leicester, Dundee also have online offerings that might interest you.

They won't - from the dates it will be clear that you were examined under the old system not the new.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending