The Student Room Group

Is Oxbridge for medicine even worth a shot? Help

Hello! I really need some advice. For a long time it has been a dream to study medicine at either Oxford or Cambridge, because of the whole atmosphere, location and traditional style courses.

However, I just don't know with my grades if I have a decent shot at eother of them. I got 5A's at AS and on track to be predicted 4A*'s at A2 so hopefully that will not be an issue. I only got 10A*s and 3A's however so for Oxford, my proportion of A* GCSEs isn't as high as it could be, which is why I am worried my application will not even be looked at whatsoever because of this :frown: And with Cambridge, I only got UMS with one subject at AS and my average was only 90 (maths) and everyone on here is saying you need 95+ or don't bother :frown:

I just don't know if it's worth applying but I just cannot seem to let the dream go. It's just sad as I have worked so hard and got good grades but I just don't think are good enough :frown: any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by isabella1999
Hello! I really need some advice. For a long time it has been a dream to study medicine at either Oxford or Cambridge, because of the whole atmosphere, location and traditional style courses.

However, I just don't know with my grades if I have a decent shot at eother of them. I got 5A's at AS and on track to be predicted 4A*'s at A2 so hopefully that will not be an issue. I only got 10A*s and 3A's however so for Oxford, my proportion of A* GCSEs isn't as high as it could be, which is why I am worried my application will not even be looked at whatsoever because of this :frown: And with Cambridge, I only got UMS with one subject at AS and my average was only 90 (maths) and everyone on here is saying you need 95+ or don't bother :frown:

I just don't know if it's worth applying but I just cannot seem to let the dream go. It's just sad as I have worked so hard and got good grades but I just don't think are good enough :frown: any advice?

Id definitely apply.

I had not seen this before! Hmm, maybe if I smash the BMAT :tongue: Thanks
Original post by Emma:-)
Id definitely apply.

I really want to :u: for which one do you think?
Reply 5
The only problem with Oxford would be the average student has around 94% A* I'm pretty sure, a 0.94 proportion. With your GCSEs, though they are fantastic, this leaves you with only 77% so 0.77 which is under the average for an offer. It looks as though a few people got offers with 0.77 but it was a very small minority. Cambridge as you have already said like high UMS, although you still have 90% which is still a good result and you may still be in with a chance. I know Cambridge place a lot of emphasis on the BMAT so if you do take the risk of applying there make sure you have prepared. I personally found all the revision I did for it was useless, but if your school are offering some kind of help definitely take it.

I know Oxford and Cambridge are fantastic (I spent a week on the Oxford summer school and it was a lovely place), but there are many other fantastic universities that you would be able to make a very strong application too. Cardiff is one that will love your academics (they score based on your GCSEs and as long as your As weren't in English Language, Maths or the three sciences you would get full marks as it is out of your top 9 with an A*=3, A=2 and B=1 to give a score out of 27) and the course is fab. Another great one is Birmingham who like lots of A*s and they 'prefer' 4 As at AS Level so with 5 you would do very well. I'm pretty sure Leicester and Liverpool also look highly on GCSE grades.

It's a risk applying to either of them but if you do make sure you use it as your BMAT choice, or one other BMAT university as a maximum. It's a very difficult test and as you don't know your score until afterwards you don't want to risk getting rejections purely because of it when you have such good stats elsewhere.

Good luck!
I really want to :u: for which one do you think?

Its up to you really- which one do you prefer?
At least you will be applying to other unis as well, so if you dont get in then you have your other ones that you apply to to fall back on.So you might as well give it a go.
Original post by Emma:-)
Its up to you really- which one do you prefer?
At least you will be applying to other unis as well, so if you dont get in then you have your other ones that you apply to to fall back on.So you might as well give it a go.

It is hard to pick and yeah that is true, Lots of others unis are nice too :smile:
Original post by emem2011
The only problem with Oxford would be the average student has around 94% A* I'm pretty sure, a 0.94 proportion. With your GCSEs, though they are fantastic, this leaves you with only 77% so 0.77 which is under the average for an offer. It looks as though a few people got offers with 0.77 but it was a very small minority. Cambridge as you have already said like high UMS, although you still have 90% which is still a good result and you may still be in with a chance. I know Cambridge place a lot of emphasis on the BMAT so if you do take the risk of applying there make sure you have prepared. I personally found all the revision I did for it was useless, but if your school are offering some kind of help definitely take it.

I know Oxford and Cambridge are fantastic (I spent a week on the Oxford summer school and it was a lovely place), but there are many other fantastic universities that you would be able to make a very strong application too. Cardiff is one that will love your academics (they score based on your GCSEs and as long as your As weren't in English Language, Maths or the three sciences you would get full marks as it is out of your top 9 with an A*=3, A=2 and B=1 to give a score out of 27) and the course is fab. Another great one is Birmingham who like lots of A*s and they 'prefer' 4 As at AS Level so with 5 you would do very well. I'm pretty sure Leicester and Liverpool also look highly on GCSE grades.

It's a risk applying to either of them but if you do make sure you use it as your BMAT choice, or one other BMAT university as a maximum. It's a very difficult test and as you don't know your score until afterwards you don't want to risk getting rejections purely because of it when you have such good stats elsewhere.

Good luck!

Yeah that's the thing about Oxford, I emailed the admissions for medicine to ask like with my GCSEs what I would need in the BMAT to have a chance, hopefully they will get back to me soon :smile: is the BMAT that difficult? I have been focusing on the UKCAT so far and have not really looked at it but I did a little bit of the specimin paper (sections 1 and 2) and got 7.7 and 7.4 apparently, dunno what they mean but hopefully can improve that with revision. How did you revise?

Yeah, I visited Cardiff and didn't like how you had to take a bus to the medicine buildings so that may be out. Going to see Birmingham but really like the look of it. Also really like Nottingham, Edinburgh, and Kings, UCL and Imperoal. I like older unis hahaha.

I was thinking if I ace the UKCAT (750+) applying to three UKCAT heavy unis and only one BMAT but if I don't do that well (less than 700) then two BMATs. I get what you mean, obviously there are lots of amazing unis but it's the dream you know. It's so hard haha
Yeah that's the thing about Oxford, I emailed the admissions for medicine to ask like with my GCSEs what I would need in the BMAT to have a chance, hopefully they will get back to me soon :smile: is the BMAT that difficult? I have been focusing on the UKCAT so far and have not really looked at it but I did a little bit of the specimin paper (sections 1 and 2) and got 7.7 and 7.4 apparently, dunno what they mean but hopefully can improve that with revision. How did you revise?

Yeah, I visited Cardiff and didn't like how you had to take a bus to the medicine buildings so that may be out. Going to see Birmingham but really like the look of it. Also really like Nottingham, Edinburgh, and Kings, UCL and Imperoal. I like older unis hahaha.

I was thinking if I ace the UKCAT (750+) applying to three UKCAT heavy unis and only one BMAT but if I don't do that well (less than 700) then two BMATs. I get what you mean, obviously there are lots of amazing unis but it's the dream you know. It's so hard haha

Well what's your extra curriculars etc?

Just so you know, Oxford interview about 30% of all applicants and Cambridge interview around 90% of all applicants. Oxford offers ALOT less places too. Be aware of this, they place a HUGE emphasis on academics at Oxford. Cambridge CAN let you off but you need a good interview.

Best grades possible = Oxford
Extra's and good interview = Cambridge
I say go for it, I think I'll always regret not applying to Cambridge because I just think what if
Original post by .....Jeff458
Well what's your extra curriculars etc?

School Related: elected Biology Prefect and Pastoral Prefect, STEM club, Rounders, Hockey and Netball teams for 3 years, Student Commisioner and junior/senior choir in house music every year at school (big music competition where houses go head to head)

Out of school: leading Social action project on mental health, charity shop volunteering for year, volunteering with disabled children for a month, girl guiding for 10 years, extra reading, photography, gym etc

Work experience: 1 week on the stroke ward in local hospital, 1 week shadowing GP, 1 week in gastro surgery in Poland hospital, 1 week of work experience in a Hospice, NHS mentoring Scheme, lectures

No musical instrument unfortunately, wish I had done :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Pinkberry_y
I say go for it, I think I'll always regret not applying to Cambridge because I just think what if

Yeah, I don't want that to be me as I always think should try
School Related: elected Biology Prefect and Pastoral Prefect, STEM club, Rounders, Hockey and Netball teams for 3 years, Student Commisioner and junior/senior choir in house music every year at school (big music competition where houses go head to head)

Out of school: leading Social action project on mental health, charity shop volunteering for year, volunteering with disabled children for a month, girl guiding for 10 years, extra reading, photography, gym etc

Work experience: 1 week on the stroke ward in local hospital, 1 week shadowing GP, 1 week in gastro surgery in Poland hospital, 1 week of work experience in a Hospice, NHS mentoring Scheme, lectures

No musical instrument unfortunately, wish I had done :frown:

Sounds like Cambridge. Lots of extra's to bring up at interview.

Oxford care only about academics. It says that on every single one of their college websites
Sounds like Cambridge. Lots of extra's to bring up at interview.

Oxford care only about academics. It says that on every single one of their college websites

Ah okay thanks for te advice! And that is interesting that Cambridge interview like 90%, as that's a chance to shine I guess :tongue: hmm guess my GCSEs will be a really big issue there then
Ah okay thanks for te advice! And that is interesting that Cambridge interview like 90%, as that's a chance to shine I guess :tongue: hmm guess my GCSEs will be a really big issue there then

I am in the same position as you - hopeful oxford medic (thinking about it, constantly changing mind). I have good GCSE'S and actually contacted Oxford the other day who said that GCSE's are extremely important. They place most of their emphasis on grades and academics. If you check their website you will see that. You will also see they intervies hardly anyone compared to Cambridge as they have around 150 places compared to I think 325 for Cambridge in 2015.

Best of luck, your application looks amazing, follow your dreams! :smile:

Best of luck with the UKCAT too, IT SUCKS SO FAR !!!!!
I am in the same position as you - hopeful oxford medic (thinking about it, constantly changing mind). I have good GCSE'S and actually contacted Oxford the other day who said that GCSE's are extremely important. They place most of their emphasis on grades and academics. If you check their website you will see that. You will also see they intervies hardly anyone compared to Cambridge as they have around 150 places compared to I think 325 for Cambridge in 2015.

Best of luck, your application looks amazing, follow your dreams! :smile:

Best of luck with the UKCAT too, IT SUCKS SO FAR !!!!!

That's crazy and wow good luck!! :h: I know right, when is yours? Mine is on the 5th send help
Wait, I am fairly sure both Oxford and Cambridge want pure academics. Anything non-academic such as being a prefect, sports etc, they don't care about. That's what I was told by admissions for both. In addition to this, Cambridge colleges differ greatly. It's not true to say 90% of applicants get interviewed because each college approaches admissions in a different manner. BMAT is emphasised at both universities. Cambridge you typically need to score in top 20%, Oxford the score is combined with GCSEs. Even still, most competitive applications to Oxford will have near perfect GCSEs, which means you still need a strong BMAT. Oxford further has much fewer places for medicine.
That's crazy and wow good luck!! :h: I know right, when is yours? Mine is on the 5th send help

Mine is 28th September, was away the whole Summer :frown:

THE 5TH!?!?!? OHHHHHHHHHH MY GOOODNESSSSSS!!!!!!!!

What are you using to revise and what do you average? Because i use the 1000 book and haven't managed 600 yet :'(

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending