The Student Room Group

I don't want to be in the relationship

A month ago I tried breaking up with my boyfriend because I wanted to be single and enjoy be single... And he threatened me with his death, The day after we got back together because I didn't want him to die... And now that I'm moving to a new school I want to be able to flirt and do what I want with other guys and maybe find a guy I actually want to be with... I love him I just want the joys of being single again, But he says we've come to far to give up now.. We've only been together for 3 months but it doesn't feel right... Anyone have any ideas how I can break up with him without him threatening me with suicide :angry:... He has a very hard life and I keep him from going insane, but I don't want to be with him....
Original post by Anonymous
A month ago I tried breaking up with my boyfriend because I wanted to be single and enjoy be single... And he threatened me with his death, The day after we got back together because I didn't want him to die... And now that I'm moving to a new school I want to be able to flirt and do what I want with other guys and maybe find a guy I actually want to be with... I love him I just want the joys of being single again, But he says we've come to far to give up now.. We've only been together for 3 months but it doesn't feel right... Anyone have any ideas how I can break up with him without him threatening me with suicide :angry:... He has a very hard life and I keep him from going insane, but I don't want to be with him....

Tell him to stop emotionally blackmailing you. You're not his mental crutch
Reply 2
Tell him to PM me
Reply 3

Do something that'll make him dump you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I would try and break up as gently but as firmly as possible. You don't want to make the break up hurt any more than it will for him but you do have to be clear that you are breaking up and there's nothing he could do to stop you. Whether the suicide threat is something he would actually go through with, its worth informing someone - either his family or one of his close friends about his intentions just in case there is some truth in his threat.

Don't let his threat stop you from breaking up with him. As much as it'll hurt him, it would do more harm to him in the long run if you stayed with him when you really don't want to and it would also drag you down even more.
He's not going to kill himself. He's saying that because he knows it will make you stay.
Since you're moving school, why not change your phone number and stop contacting him? He won't be able to get in touch then.
Or become a very demanding, high maintenance girlfriend. Demand he takes you to only the most extravagant places and demand he buys you the most expensive gifts or you'll dump him. That will make him soon realise that he shouldn't be with you.
Doesn't sound you are are falling for it, but don't give in to his threats or rubbish about 'coming too far' after 3 months. Perhaps it's an idea to tell someone that knows him well (maybe family) about his suicide threads and just get out of there ASAP. Block number, facebook, anything else.
Original post by !!mentor!!
He's not going to kill himself. He's saying that because he knows it will make you stay.
Since you're moving school, why not change your phone number and stop contacting him? He won't be able to get in touch then.
Or become a very demanding, high maintenance girlfriend. Demand he takes you to only the most extravagant places and demand he buys you the most expensive gifts or you'll dump him. That will make him soon realise that he shouldn't be with you.

I was going to say sh*t on him while he sleeps but that's even better.
The minute somebody says something like that, leave them. Maybe still be there for him but he isn't in the right frame of mind to be in a relationship and if you stay with him it will not end well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
He is emotionally abusing you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
One of my mates had a girlfriend that pulled that **** on him too. I feel for you, man. Not nice being caught between a rock and a hard place.

You could just break up with him, call his bluff and see what happens... but then, on the off-chance that he does actually top himself, that's probably going to weigh on you for the rest of your life.

So as much as it pains me to say it (because it's not exactly the moral high-ground you're taking, and usually I would say that he deserves better but given the circumstances it's more self-preservation than selfishness) I second the advice given about suddenly being high-maintenance. Hopefully he'll grow weary of having no money and realise that if he wants to have more money then there's only really one possible solution.

NB: Don't cheat on him and hope that he breaks up with you, you don't know how he'll react to it. If you're gonna do something that drastic then you may as well just break up with him and see what happens.
This is not healthy and if he was to do something to himself it would not be your fault. I would advise breaking up with him and saying that you hope he gets help and is able to move on but you won't be blackmailed into a relationship you don't want. Then contact his mother and tell her that he is threatening to kill himself.
He sounds like a toxic piece of trash. Stop wasting your time with this loser.
Next time he threatens to kill himself tell him to go right ahead and wait for you in hell.

You can't let him emotionally blackmail you like this, just go and see him and be honest with him that you don't want to be in a relationship. There is no easy way but the sooner you do it the better it will be for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending