The Student Room Group

Extra Curriculars in Applications

Hi all,

I understand there are probably hundreds of posts like this but I can't find anything from looking through the stickies and first few threads.

My question is about what's looked for by admissions with regards to work experience, experience in leadership, sport, and all the rest of it. I'm starting my A levels but still haven't decided on a college and am oscillating between the two.

I achieved 10 A*s at GCSE and have completed relevant work experience with the option for more in similar firms so this isn't an issue. I'd like to know what more I need to do in the coming year to give me the strongest chance as possible of getting in. I'd like to apply to Engineering and will certainly study Maths, FM and Physics, alongside Economics and possibly another subject.

What sort of activities are performed by the average Cambridge applicant and what needs to be done in order to 'tick all the boxes' when it comes to personal statements? I understand it's not the case of a checklist and applicants are assessed individually but I'd still like to know what would give me the best chance.
Original post by M451
Hi all,

I understand there are probably hundreds of posts like this but I can't find anything from looking through the stickies and first few threads.

My question is about what's looked for by admissions with regards to work experience, experience in leadership, sport, and all the rest of it. I'm starting my A levels but still haven't decided on a college and am oscillating between the two.

I achieved 10 A*s at GCSE and have completed relevant work experience with the option for more in similar firms so this isn't an issue. I'd like to know what more I need to do in the coming year to give me the strongest chance as possible of getting in. I'd like to apply to Engineering and will certainly study Maths, FM and Physics, alongside Economics and possibly another subject.

What sort of activities are performed by the average Cambridge applicant and what needs to be done in order to 'tick all the boxes' when it comes to personal statements? I understand it's not the case of a checklist and applicants are assessed individually but I'd still like to know what would give me the best chance.

Anything that's related to the course you're applying for.
Nothing that's not.
Reply 2
Original post by vincrows
Anything that's related to the course you're applying for.
Nothing that's not.

I'm probably completing more relevant work experience and have the possibility of doing a Nuffield placement. I'm also looking into specific Engineering or STEM summer schools. Additionally, I'll take Maths/Physics Olympiads and the like as they come along. I'm not sure that's enough.
Reply 3
Original post by M451
I'm not sure that's enough.

It is.

And beware of taking too many A-levels. Quality not quantity for Cambridge...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
It is.

And beware of taking too many A-levels. Quality not quantity for Cambridge...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been warned of this by a lot of people and I think I'm just being stubborn at this point. I'm doing A2 Maths in a year with no other external exams in that year's series so that should be okay. I'm trying to start everything and drop subjects if necessary. I think that's a decent plan.
Reply 5
Original post by M451
I've been warned of this by a lot of people and I think I'm just being stubborn at this point. I'm doing A2 Maths in a year with no other external exams in that year's series so that should be okay. I'm trying to start everything and drop subjects if necessary. I think that's a decent plan.

Economics and "possibly another subject" are completely irrelevant for Engineering. Only Chemistry (or maybe Biology) would possibly benefit your application.

A*AABB is not the same as, or better than, A*A*A (the typical offer).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by M451
Hi all,

Make sure you mention your xbox live gamer score, and cod (call of duty) kill streak on the forms, whatever you do??

Spoiler

Reply 7
Original post by john2054
Make sure you mention your xbox live gamer score, and cod (call of duty) kill streak on the forms, whatever you do??

Spoiler

Unfortunately I pretty much quit Xbox a long time ago, so I'm probably going to have to use irrelevant stuff like UCAS points rather than Gamerscore :ashamed2:
Reply 8
Original post by jneill
Economics and "possibly another subject" are completely irrelevant for Engineering. Only Chemistry (or maybe Biology) would possibly benefit your application.

A*AABB is not the same as, or better than, A*A*A (the typical offer).

Posted from TSR Mobile

The thing is that the college I'm most likely staying at signs all students up to four courses in Year 12 and Maths and FM are counted as one in this instance, so every student doing Double Maths begins five courses. This is despite most A-levels going linear, so I don't really see the point.

Should I go elsewhere, I'll most likely limit myself to four in total. The extra may be Geography. I found that a lot of employees at my WE placement studies Geography and it's relevant to my intended career path further down the line.
My daughter applied to read archaeology. Her ECs were all directly related to that, with the exception of singing (which she wanted to do in Cam choruses). At interview, they talked far more about her experience on digs than they did about what she'd read.
Original post by M451
Unfortunately I pretty much quit Xbox a long time ago, so I'm probably going to have to use irrelevant stuff like UCAS points rather than Gamerscore :ashamed2:

You should be alright then! Ps i have got my degree, so i think i can have a little giggle with you thanks again.

Quick Reply

Latest