The Student Room Group

School not taking me take any A-Levels

- Redacted
(edited 5 years ago)
Go to another school.
Original post by 4.4KitKat
I got okay results at GCSE (4B's and 6C's) and was so close to achieivng 'B' grades in Eng Language and Science Double. I am getting Eng Language remarked as i was 2 marks off a B.

Anyway, I have asked to do A-Levels but the school refuses to let me and the only option is BTEC's but I really dont want to take any BTEC course to be honest.

How could I go about this?

Go to another school for sixth form.
What r the entry requirements?
Try another school- yours seems like it's of a high standard but I
There r others with high teaching standards but low requirements for e.g my schools sixth form only require 5A*-Cs and minimum requirement of a grade C at GCSE of subjects you want to take into a level (frankly speaking they're bit hesitant but they just put you down for extra classes for a term or so)
So try another sixth form. You haven't done badly
Good luck
The entry requirements are that I get a C in Eng Language and Maths (tick...) and that I have over 85% attendance (tick...).

My school is really just a basic comprehensive school.

I am looking at other sixth forms, but isn't it too late?
I got okay results at GCSE (4B's and 6C's) and was so close to achieivng 'B' grades in Eng Language and Science Double. I am getting Eng Language remarked as i was 2 marks off a B.

Anyway, I have asked to do A-Levels but the school refuses to let me and the only option is BTEC's but I really dont want to take any BTEC course to be honest.

What A-levels are you wanting to take? They may just be worried you might not stand a good chance of doing well because your GCSE'S are quite low. You could ring up another college, they usually have lot's of free spots still. Sixth forms are a little bit more picky so i would still to colleges.
Reply 6

Oh noooo what kind of school do you go to???? My Sixth form accepted me with D in English although of course Il have to re-sit it in November. I would suggest you to go to another school, I am sure they will accept you :smile:
Maybe this could help you! :smile:

http://www.dorcan.co.uk/media/careers/A_Levels_Required_For_Degree_Areas.pdf

You can choose to go to another sixth form or try your local colleges they are likely to have much lower entry requirements. @4.4KitKat
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
My college accepts anyone so long as you have 2B's and 3C's (last time I checked)

Is it to do with the A-Levels you want to do? If we choose maths at my college you must have a B, English lit you must have a B and languages you must have an A etc, is it a system like this that it the problem? If so look for a different college and fast
Original post by Hayley Williams
What A-levels are you wanting to take? They may just be worried you might not stand a good chance of doing well because your GCSE'S are quite low. You could ring up another college, they usually have lot's of free spots still. Sixth forms are a little bit more picky so i would still to colleges.

The sixth forms here where I am definitley are picky! I always thought that colleges only do BTEC's?
The sixth forms here where I am definitley are picky! I always thought that colleges only do BTEC's?

No, colleges do both A levels and Btec. Most of the time they will offer only A levels or mostly A levels
Original post by AfcFob
My college accepts anyone so long as you have 2B's and 3C's (last time I checked)

Is it to do with the A-Levels you want to do? If we choose maths at my college you must have a B, English lit you must have a B and languages you must have an A etc, is it a system like this that it the problem? If so look for a different college and fast

I want to take Sociology, Ethics & P and an IT BTEC. The two A-Levels require at least a B on Eng Language. (So close!)

No, a lot of colleges do A levels as well but there requirements are usually less strict. E.g. my local sixth needed 8 B's for you to a-levels there and the college only needed 5 A* to C and C in maths/english. Have a look around, going to a college isn't a bad thing even though i did go to sixth form.
Didn't they give you an actual reason as to why you cannot do A levels? The college I went to required at least 5A*-C grades with C at maths & English language. Their requirements did change last year from a C to a B in English for every A level though, maybe more colleges in the UK do that as well.

I'd suggest asking them why first but do call up other colleges/sixth forms to see if they can take you in.
Reply 14
I want to take Sociology, Ethics & P and an IT BTEC. The two A-Levels require at least a B on Eng Language. (So close!)

I assume that must be the issue then, and I see why because they do require a lot of essay writing/LAQ's (I did psychology), have you talked to the admissions dep at your Sixth Form and asked them about it?? Can you guys come to some form of an agreement, since you said you're getting a remark anyway?
Original post by katherine9609
Didn't they give you an actual reason as to why you cannot do A levels? The college I went to required at least 5A*-C grades with C at maths & English language. Their requirements did change last year from a C to a B in English for every A level though, maybe more colleges in the UK do that as well.

I'd suggest asking them why first but do call up other colleges/sixth forms to see if they can take you in.

They said I did not fufill the requirements for the courses and I assume this is to do with my Eng Language grade.

I have emailed them that I am getting a remark but they don't do 'awaiting requests' so they are not allowing me to.

Comminication is being done through email at the moment so maybe on Monday I could get a better response if I speak to them?

Quick Reply

Latest