The Student Room Group

Are my GCSES good enough for Economics at Cambridge?

I got 6.5 A stars and 5 As at a high-achieving selective school where over half got 9 A stars
Will my GCSEs affect my chances of going to Cambridge?
Reply 1
Cambridge don't care about GCSEs nearly as much as Oxford as their research shows that a good performance in GCSEs does not correlate strongly with performance in the Cambridge Tripos. The most important factors are going to be your maths UMS (and UMS for any other non-reformed subjects you have taken in Year 12) and your score in the Cambridge assessment for interviewees, as well as the interview itself.

If you didn't take Further Maths in Year 12, take it as an AS Level in Year 13.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/ecaa_specification.pdf
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Palette
Cambridge don't care about GCSEs nearly as much as Oxford as their research shows that a good performance in GCSEs does not correlate strongly with performance in the Cambridge Tripos as well as A-levels performance does. The most important factors are going to be your maths UMS (and UMS for any other nonon-reformed subjects you have taken in Year 12) and your score in the Cambridge assessment for interviewees, as well as the interview itself.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/ecaa_specification.pdf

Minor correction :wink:
Original post by Palette
Cambridge don't care about GCSEs nearly as much as Oxford as their research shows that a good performance in GCSEs does not correlate strongly with performance in the Cambridge Tripos. The most important factors are going to be your maths UMS (and UMS for any other non-reformed subjects you have taken in Year 12) and your score in the Cambridge assessment for interviewees, as well as the interview itself.

Can you explain what you mean by this? Will UMS marks in reformed as level subjects not matter in an oxbridge application?
Reply 4
Original post by phaggatron5001
Can you explain what you mean by this? Will UMS marks in reformed as level subjects not matter in an oxbridge application?

I don't think UMS exists in reformed subjects.
Reply 5

There is no UMS in reformed subjects. At all. You may get raw marks but Cambridge isn't systematically asking for them and they aren't the same as UMS. If they are good you should ask your referee to mention them.

But your AS grades, if you have them, will still be important for Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
There is no UMS in reformed subjects. At all. You may get raw marks but Cambridge isn't systematically asking for them and they aren't the same as UMS. If they are good you should ask your referee to mention them.

But your AS grades, if you have them, will still be important for Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does this change only apply for england or does it include wales as well? I've sat the new physics as level this year with wjec and have been told my ums marks.
Reply 7
Does this change only apply for england or does it include wales as well? I've sat the new physics as level this year with wjec and have been told my ums marks.

Ah, Wales (and N Ireland) are keeping UMS.

If you have UMS Cambridge will request it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by jneill
Ah, Wales (and N Ireland) are keeping UMS.

If you have UMS Cambridge will request it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does the loss of UMS for reformed subjects disadvantage English students this year in any way?
Reply 9
Original post by Palette
Does the loss of UMS for reformed subjects disadvantage English students this year in any way?

No. Cambridge is very used to evaluating applicants without UMS.

And they have added Admissions Assessments for many courses to provide additional information about the applicant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AngelaisAwesome
I got 6.5 A stars and 5 As at a high-achieving selective school where over half got 9 A stars
Will my GCSEs affect my chances of going to Cambridge?

Well, they do have a contextual indicator, and they do consider GCSEs somewhat mildly - so I would say it does, but not massively.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending