The Student Room Group

what are the chance we will go to war?

talking to my boyfriend about it and their prepping for war and it terrifies me as his a soldier and will have to go.

they have already done exercises to establish a rough time of how long they would survive for in a war zone and the statistics for his area (ground based air defence/artillery) is less then 10minutes :/

Scroll to see replies

War with whom? Being a full time soldier means you're always prepping for war, it doesn't mean we'll invade somewhere
Reply 2
Original post by DicksOut4Haraam
War with whom? Being a full time soldier means you're always prepping for war, it doesn't mean we'll invade somewhere

russia
apparently they have only recently started prepping for war with them
Original post by shawtyb
russia

It's probably a political show of strength, actual war with Russia would be absurd.
Original post by shawtyb
russia

*Books a flight to Neverland*
Reply 5
there's more of a chance of Donald Trump becoming the President of Mexico
Reply 6
It's probably a political show of strength, actual war with Russia would be absurd.

yea theyd obliterate us !

Original post by saraxh
*Books a flight to Neverland*

im terrified to the brink of tears!
he thinks it would happen next yr, not this yr if it did happen
Reply 7
Original post by lawyer3c
there's more of a chance of Donald Trump becoming the President of Mexico

is that likely? i dont follow politics
Reply 8
Original post by shawtyb
is that likely? i dont follow politics

Let me rephrase: there's more of a chance that you become an international politics correspondent for the BBC. :wink:
It's all just posturing for each side to show off its strength to the other.

Nothing will actually happen.
Original post by shawtyb
yea theyd obliterate us !

No.

Ignoring MAD, Nato would have the upper hand and Russia would take the worst of the losses, but there would be absolutely no gain compared with the losses for both sides so it will not happen. It's just done to intimidate the other side a little over the events in Syria and Ukraine, mind games.
Reply 11
so its more then favourable that we dont? in terms of liklihood i mean
Reply 12
Original post by lawyer3c
Let me rephrase: there's more of a chance that you become an international politics correspondent for the BBC. :wink:

muuuch better. thanks :*

Original post by JamesN88
It's all just posturing for each side to show off its strength to the other.

Nothing will actually happen.

scaring tactics then

No.

Ignoring MAD, Nato would have the upper hand and Russia would take the worst of the losses, but there would be absolutely no gain compared with the losses for both sides so it will not happen. It's just done to intimidate the other side a little over the events in Syria and Ukraine, mind games.

does russia actually have any beef with us as a generalisation?
One of my sons is an Army officer. It's the first I've heard of it.
Reply 14
Original post by Seamus123
One of my sons is an Army officer. It's the first I've heard of it.

really?
maybe they havent been told yet?
my bf is in germany atm as various parts of nato have met up for an exercise etc
Original post by shawtyb
scaring tactics then

More like cock waving on a massive scale.
Original post by shawtyb

does russia actually have any beef with us as a generalisation?

Both sides have committed wrong against the other, but their economy is in bad recession and they could never handle a loss of 100,000s of lives and they would gain nothing.

Put it into perspective, the Turks shot down one of their plans and after only a few months they were making trade deals, Russia knows it's basically at full stretch or else it would have told the Turks where to go, there will be no war with Russia, relax.
Original post by shawtyb
really?
maybe they havent been told yet?
my bf is in germany atm as various parts of nato have met up for an exercise etc

My son is in Germany too. Been there for the last year.
Reply 18
Original post by JamesN88
More like cock waving on a massive scale.

i just imagined each of the leaders (w.e u call em) stood on the boarder with a giant magnifying glass waving their cocks at each other hahaha

Both sides have committed wrong against the other, but their economy is in bad recession and they could never handle a loss of 100,000s of lives and they would gain nothing.

Put it into perspective, the Turks shot down one of their plans and after only a few months they were making trade deals, Russia knows it's basically at full stretch or else it would have told the Turks where to go, there will be no war with Russia, relax.

ah i guess when you put it like that. youv made me feel so much better. thankyou <3
Zero chance. Nil. Zip. Nada.

If you're "terrified to the brink of tears" get a newspaper or switch on the news. Educate yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest