The Student Room Group

Would these GCSE grades be alright for Law

Particularly law at a Russel Group University.
(The ones i am considering are Cambridge,Warwick,Durham,Manchester,Uni of Birmingham and UCL )
A*AAABBCCF
Thats 1 A*,3A's,2B'c,2 C's,1 F

Of course,i have picked the subjects that i got an A in for A level.

Anyways,are those GCSE's fine?I'm hoping to smash my A levels because i enjoy the 3 subjects i picked so thus i think i can get excellent grades if i revise well :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Anyone?
Depends mainly on your A-levels
Reply 3
Original post by AspiringLawyer-
(The ones i am considering are Cambridge,Warwick,Durham,Manchester,Uni of Birmingham and UCL )
A*AAABBCCF

Anyways,are those GCSE's fine?I'm hoping to smash my A levels because i enjoy the 3 subjects i picked so thus i think i can get excellent grades if i revise well :smile:

Quite poor, especially for Cambridge.

Luckily for you, Cambridge don't put that much weight on GCSEs as long as you improve at A level, so you still might have a shot.
Original post by lawyer3c
Quite poor, especially for Cambridge.

Luckily for you, Cambridge don't put that much weight on GCSEs as long as you improve at A level, so you still might have a shot.

Aw man gutted that my grades are poor...But yeah its a good thing Cambridge doesn't emphasize on GCSE's as much.

I was just asking for other RG unis though too collectively.
Reply 5
Aw man gutted that my grades are poor...But yeah its a good thing Cambridge doesn't emphasize on GCSE's as much.

I was just asking for other RG unis though too collectively.

Shouldn't hold you back too much for Warwick/Brum, but Durham/UCL are very competitive for Law so you'll need strong A levels.
Reply 6
You've got an F, so you're going to struggle for Cambridge (sorry) BUT focus on getting AAA at AS and try to get predicted at least A*AA and you've got a fair chance at all the rest
Shouldn't hold you back too much for Warwick/Brum, but Durham/UCL are very competitive for Law so you'll need strong A levels.

Thanks.Yeah to be honest i prefer the first two you mentioned any day over UCL (shame about Durham though)

How about Leeds/Manchester/Bristol/QMUL/Newcastle/Nottingham

Sorry for barricading you with questions,your an aspiring lawyer(or probably one already) judging by your name,so you seem quite knowledgeable for this query.
Reply 8
Thanks.Yeah to be honest i prefer the first two you mentioned any day over UCL (shame about Durham though)

How about Leeds/Manchester/Bristol/QMUL/Newcastle/Nottingham

Sorry for barricading you with questions,your an aspiring lawyer(or probably one already) judging by your name,so you seem quite knowledgeable for this query.

4 As at AS with A*AA+ predicted for A2 will put you in with a good shot at all of the 5 unis you initially mentioned, so the best thing for you to do now is aim for that then look at your options once you have your AS results.
4 As at AS with A*AA+ predicted for A2 will put you in with a good shot at all of the 5 unis you initially mentioned, so the best thing for you to do now is aim for that then look at your options once you have your AS results.

I'm only doing 1 AS (non reformed)
the other 2 subjects are reformed

So thats why i feel the first 5 initial unis are out of the question now(except for Cambridge and Manchester)
Any other advice from anyone?
A*AAABBCCF

With regards to all Russell Group unis, you should be okay. I just hope the F is in something meaningless.
Original post by OrdinaryStudent
Depends mainly on your A-levels

Hypothetically assume i get A*AA or AAA?
I'm only doing 1 AS (non reformed)
the other 2 subjects are reformed

So thats why i feel the first 5 initial unis are out of the question now(except for Cambridge and Manchester)

I must confess I'm clueless about the new A level reforms, but I assume there's still a way to do the equivalent of 4/5 ASs then 3/4 A2s.
Any other advice from anyone?

For Cambridge, to stand a chance you need 90% ums average in your modules
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
With regards to all Russell Group unis, you should be okay. I just hope the F is in something meaningless.

It's in Latin.Which btw everyone failed(not saying it as an exaggeration or excuse)
Original post by AfcFob
You've got an F, so you're going to struggle for Cambridge (sorry) BUT focus on getting AAA at AS and try to get predicted at least A*AA and you've got a fair chance at all the rest

Hmm okay.But the F was in Latin,and every single person failed that in my class(not an exaggeration,in mocks the highest someone got was a G ,and furthermore every single one i spoke to got an D/E/F/G grade ).Plus my school is kinda crappy and its below national average

Would that count for some contextual data
I must confess I'm clueless about the new A level reforms, but I assume there's still a way to do the equivalent of 4/5 ASs then 3/4 A2s.

Oh there isn't.Most subjects are reformed now,and at my school AS is not taken(plus it doesn't count anyways to the A level)
Original post by OrdinaryStudent
For Cambridge, to stand a chance you need 90% ums average in your modules

Not true. Not least because of the new A level reforms there's no longer any such thing as a UMS average at AS (even prior to these reforms it was not necessary to get a 90% UMS average to submit a competitive application).

Plus my school is kinda crappy and its below national average

Would that count for some contextual data

Definitely. Cambridge are big on contextual info etc.
Not true. Not least because of the new A level reforms there's no longer any such thing as a UMS average at AS (even prior to these reforms it was not necessary to get a 90% UMS average to submit a competitive application).

Definitely. Cambridge are big on contextual info etc.

Is it just Cambridge who are big on contextual info,or are other RG unis.if so could you name some :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending